SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 01, 2011, 10:29 AM
AMA # 949551
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2009
2,168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 126jp View Post
Going out to fly (or wreck), Brian. Answer this evening.

Sonic turkey. "Dude, that's phuny!"

Jules
Good luck Jules!!

b

ps On another forum, I will pm you, are nice folks like here. I posted a "name my 500" and got this in short order!
rikybob is offline Find More Posts by rikybob
Last edited by rikybob; Jan 01, 2011 at 07:57 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2011, 01:33 PM
Joined Feb 2010
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 126jp View Post
Hi guys, sorry for OT but must add two pennies.

goldcoastflyer, I bought three V2 450 kits from HK and am still flying the first build. Havenít even touched the other two. I never had any of the problems detailed in this and the previous 450 thread (stripped heads from soft screws, stripped taildrive gear, etc.), however I was very careful to follow everyoneís suggestions. Iíve wrecked this one four times in fifty-four flights, and because I canít reach the throttle hold switch quickly enough, the last three impacted the blades at full idle up speed. The first serious crash was while hovering in the front yard in normal mode. One of the cyclic servos lost a screw and the heli twisted itself into a knot. Cost me five parts: tail boom, one cyclic servo (HXT900), main gear, main shaft, feathering shaft. FG blades and rest of heli unscathed. The last three crashes (in which one would have expected the machine to vaporize) cost me three parts each: main gear, main shaft, feathering shaft. In all cases the main gear has acted as a fuse to minimize damage; the pinion rips it instantly and the motor squeals contentedly until I flip TH. Needless to say I am a big fan of these HK450 V2 tanks.

The HK500, however, is giving me pause.

Iíve read the HK500 thread and have, during the build, encountered every problem they have reportedóand then some. I purchased the CMT version and ordered the TT upgrade which is being installed during initial build. In post #3045 of that thread you can read about my setup, youíll note that I went high end (and probably overboard) on electronics. I didnít want to add electrical bugaboos atop the mechanical ones I would face.

Tall order but worth the time; read the entire HK-500GT 3D Helicopter Build Thread. You may not, but DO expect to find every difficulty delineated, then make up your mind. Itís a beautiful machine at a wonderful purchase price, and all its problems are eminently solvable, but it will cost you time and frustration. It has me. I have yet to fly mine, but from the videos Iíve seen, it seems to fly well enough to be worth the effort.

Donít mean to scaríya away. But be advised.

ON ANOTHER NOTE!

Fellas! Anybody crash their HK450s while in idle up? What has been your damage? Anyone experience the same safeties I stated above?

Jules
Thanks for your reply, mine were cheap ebay v2 I think the HK ones would be better quality. I will read the 500 thread as you suggest to get my parts list sorted
goldcoastflyer is offline Find More Posts by goldcoastflyer
Old Jan 01, 2011, 01:38 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1 Posts
Is there a manual for the HK450 pro in english? I can only find one in Russian. Also, just to clarify, you do use a 25g servo for the tail of a HK450 pro right?
palaceofhate is offline Find More Posts by palaceofhate
Old Jan 01, 2011, 02:11 PM
Yes, I know it's upside down.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
3,309 Posts
I'll add that I've done very well with my HK450's. Had V1, V2 and MT, and the only problems I have had were the slipping belt gears, that were fixed with a single drop of thread-lock.

Seems the HK500 is a whole different story, and I'll probably be buying the genuine article when I get around to it.

To answer someone's earlier question about crash damage, I have put it in from about 150 foot up at full power, shaking the ground I stood on when it hit, and suffered amazingly little damage. (only blades, main gear and twisted linkages and flybar that I straightened.)

My worst ever crash was a lazy landing when the heli was drifting sideways very slowly, and it tipped over. There was zero throttle when it tipped over, and I bent or broke everything, including the frame, and stripped every servo. Go figure!
Harrow is offline Find More Posts by Harrow
Old Jan 01, 2011, 03:00 PM
Addict of Everything
Perth, Australia
Joined Jan 2009
651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by palaceofhate View Post
Is there a manual for the HK450 pro in english? I can only find one in Russian. Also, just to clarify, you do use a 25g servo for the tail of a HK450 pro right?
Any 450 trex manual, really. So i assume just a combination of the pro (for most of it) and sport manuals (for belt setup)
yogibbear is offline Find More Posts by yogibbear
Old Jan 01, 2011, 06:04 PM
Yes I looped the MSR post 5388
Joined Nov 2008
2,537 Posts
I have high quality manuals

For all align helicopter models, not scanned copies but originals from Align.

I am not at home at the moment and I am only using an iPad to view this page, so I need to see if I can do it from here. Will be back asap with the manual for the 450 pro
EatAtJoes is offline Find More Posts by EatAtJoes
Old Jan 01, 2011, 07:55 PM
AMA # 949551
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2009
2,168 Posts
Ooooooh....

Hiya Elias,

Mind if I PM you for the close approximation of the HK-500-GT manual???

Yer pal in helis,

Brian
rikybob is offline Find More Posts by rikybob
Old Jan 01, 2011, 07:58 PM
USA, CA, Ahwahnee
Joined Sep 2004
453 Posts
Having problems with my gyro/setup/heli... Using rate mode i get tons of tail wag.. However when i go to hh mode i get a solid tail...
I really dont know where to start with this. Im using an HK401b btw..
powerstroke01 is offline Find More Posts by powerstroke01
Old Jan 01, 2011, 10:13 PM
Look Ma, no hands!
Edenton, NC
Joined Jun 2009
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikybob View Post
I am "in build" with the HK-500-GT (code named: Sonic Turkey) at the "pulled the head/tail down" stage rebuilding same to find them both smooth as silk! What did Mrs. Jules find in the build I wonder??
Again sorry for the OT folks.

Brian,

Quite a bit of extra work so far. During head rebuild: bent main shaft (replaced w/ align), glued solid washout control arm bolt (broke same on removal bought new washout base as a result), collars separating the bearings on the mixing arms and the washout control arms were too short causing complete lock-up of linkage upon full torque of mounting bolts (press out bearings, cut four new brass collars of serviceable length, replace new greased bearings). During tail rebuild: tail rotor shaft bearings replaced (originals were highly questionable), rotor blade grip bolt glued solid to rotor hub (broke same inside hub on removal, bought align rotor assembly as a resultónot, repeat, not cheap!). On tail servo setup: Tail control pushrod way too long.

And thatís where I is as of tonight.

Thanks for the PM. Iíve added the site to my ďmust readĒ tab (thatís another thirty-two so far pages you know).

ON ANOTHER NOTE!

Came home after four batts. in force 10 winds with an intact HK450. I love this heli!

Jules
126jp is offline Find More Posts by 126jp
Old Jan 01, 2011, 10:31 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
3,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstroke01 View Post
Having problems with my gyro/setup/heli... Using rate mode i get tons of tail wag.. However when i go to hh mode i get a solid tail...
I really dont know where to start with this. Im using an HK401b btw..
powerstroke,

What gyro gain settings do you have in your radio? (and what radio are you using.) Have you tried reducing the gain setting for rate mode? Also, did you set your tail up to hold steady in rate mode?
Old Jan 01, 2011, 11:11 PM
USA, CA, Ahwahnee
Joined Sep 2004
453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrow View Post
powerstroke,

What gyro gain settings do you have in your radio? (and what radio are you using.) Have you tried reducing the gain setting for rate mode? Also, did you set your tail up to hold steady in rate mode?
Im using a Turnigy 9x

I just redid my settings according to a vid i watched.. SO here they are:
State ACT
Uprate NOR 040
Downrate AVC 032
Model GY

i havent had a chance to get out and try these yet.
I also changed the way my tail servo was linked to the tail. I moved the ball on the servo horn to the hole closest to the servo. I read that i may have had it out to far.
Ive also made sure everything was centered correctly.

So hopefully something ive done has helped.
Old Jan 02, 2011, 01:53 PM
USA, CA, Ahwahnee
Joined Sep 2004
453 Posts
Im thinking its the gyro. THe gain settings make NO visible difference. Nothing i do on the radio seems to change anything on the gyro except for switching between rate mode and hh mode..
Old Jan 02, 2011, 03:33 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
3,309 Posts
Powerstroke,

Have you adjusted the "delay" on the HK401B gyro? If you have a slow servo, then increasing the "delay" can prevent the gyro from overcorrecting too quickly and inducing wag. Although if this was the problem, you'd probably have wag in HH too.

Also, I thought that one of your gyro settings would need to be negative. Is the red LED on the gyro turning on and off when you flick your gyro mode switch on the transmitter?

A gain setting of 40 also seems a little high perhaps. I suggest you start with something more like 20 (and also, I'm thinking it should be minus 20. As I said before, double check the red light is going off when you switch to RATE mode.)

Oh, and what tail servo are you using? What length of servo arm are you using? (ie. measured from the centre screw to the point you attach the ball for the tail control rod.)
Last edited by Harrow; Jan 02, 2011 at 03:44 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2011, 03:40 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
3,309 Posts
deleted
Old Jan 02, 2011, 04:42 PM
USA, CA, Ahwahnee
Joined Sep 2004
453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrow View Post
Powerstroke,

Have you adjusted the "delay" on the HK401B gyro? If you have a slow servo, then increasing the "delay" can prevent the gyro from overcorrecting too quickly and inducing wag. Although if this was the problem, you'd probably have wag in HH too.Ive played with the delay and saw no difference

Also, I thought that one of your gyro settings would need to be negative. Is the red LED on the gyro turning on and off when you flick your gyro mode switch on the transmitter? Yes the red LED is going on and off when i switch modes. That was a negative number.

A gain setting of 40 also seems a little high perhaps. I suggest you start with something more like 20 (and also, I'm thinking it should be minus 20. As I said before, double check the red light is going off when you switch to RATE mode.) Maybe it is too high. Ive tried the whole range and nothing helped.

Oh, and what tail servo are you using? What length of servo arm are you using? (ie. measured from the centre screw to the point you attach the ball for the tail control rod.)A cheapo hk servo. Probably one of my problems. Ive tried 3 different holes on my servo arm. The longest, the middle, and the shortest. The hole closest to the servo seemed to help the most..
Replies in red.