HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 12, 2010, 06:00 AM
Bradford, UK
Joined Sep 2010
99 Posts
I bought an rcscrewz fastener kit for my se v2, I figured it would be cheaper than sourcing all the different sized fasteners I'd need to replace. They are stainless steel but i'm not that happy with them, the sockets are slightly oversized, meaning it is still possible to strip the head, and stainless steel just isn't that hard. I wouldn't buy them again.

I've started buying the bolt sizes I use in 12.9 alloy steel. This grade of steel is extremely hard with a very high tensile strength. You might not want to use these in places with a lot of shear force, but having said that Bergen use 12.9 fasteners throughout on their helis.

I got my 12.9s from Ebay.
jagsta is offline Find More Posts by jagsta
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2010, 10:02 AM
Bradford, UK
Joined Sep 2010
99 Posts
Governor mode

Is anyone using a governor mode on their ESC? I am interested in getting an ESC with a decent governor capability, but reading up on it I get the impression that the only decent governor available is on the Kontronik ESCs. These are pretty expensive, anyone had good experiences with any others, CC for example?
Old Nov 12, 2010, 10:03 AM
Sweden
Joined Jan 2010
567 Posts
I think CCs are supposed to be "decent" on 450 size helicopters. For bigger birds people seem to think they burn up all too easily.
sandos is offline Find More Posts by sandos
Old Nov 12, 2010, 10:11 AM
Bradford, UK
Joined Sep 2010
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandos View Post
I think CCs are supposed to be "decent" on 450 size helicopters. For bigger birds people seem to think they burn up all too easily.
I'd like to go with the CC, it's half the price of a Jazz, but the main reason I want a decent ESC is to use the set RPM governor mode. I've read a few things about the CC which make me think it's not up to the same standard as the Kontroniks, like being difficult to tune out under/overshoot when loading/unloading the blades (this can cause the tail to kick on the CCs, the solution is to go back to fixed endpoints ungoverned!)

Anyone have a CC or a Jazz ESC? If so, how do you find the gov mode? Even better, anyone had both to compare?
Old Nov 12, 2010, 10:33 AM
Resident Skeptican
USA, AL, Hanceville
Joined May 2008
4,323 Posts
I'm running a CC Phoenix 35 on mine in High Governor mode. I'm don't have any issues with the tail kicking out, and the governor seems to keep up extremely well doing lazy figure 8's. If you're doing easy sport flying around the yard it's fine, but I think any hard flying would give it issues.

To me the governor really isn't worth the additional cost. The only reason I'm flying the PH35 now is that I had it on hand from a used chopper that I parted out and the heat shrink had been removed from it, so I couldn't get anything for it on resale.
Barak1001 is offline Find More Posts by Barak1001
Old Nov 12, 2010, 10:56 AM
Bradford, UK
Joined Sep 2010
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barak1001 View Post
To me the governor really isn't worth the additional cost. The only reason I'm flying the PH35 now is that I had it on hand from a used chopper that I parted out and the heat shrink had been removed from it, so I couldn't get anything for it on resale.
Interesting, I would have thought running a governed headspeed would be the best way of running the heli - same headspeed at the start and end of your pack, whilst still maintaining motor efficiency. You don't find it a benefit?
Old Nov 12, 2010, 12:44 PM
Resident Skeptican
USA, AL, Hanceville
Joined May 2008
4,323 Posts
That's assuming that the governor automatically compensates for the voltage drop of the pack. The point of the governor is to raise throttle if the head bogs down. Same thing can be accomplished using a throttle curve. You can buy a non governed ESC that will work extremely well for less than $12 from HobbyKing. While it's nice to not have to bother with the throttle curve with the PH35 being on hand, it's not $65 worth of more nice.

Notice I never said it didn't provide any benefit, I said it wasn't worth the additional cost.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 12:59 PM
Bradford, UK
Joined Sep 2010
99 Posts
Quote:
That's assuming that the governor automatically compensates for the voltage drop of the pack.
Indeed, this is what the Kontroniks do, and for me would be one of the main benefits of having a governor. As you say you can manage headspeed with the TC, but it's not possible to provide a constant headspeed. The ability to run at lower headspeeds efficiently without having to reduce the pinion size would also be nice.

Quote:
Notice I never said it didn't provide any benefit, I said it wasn't worth the additional cost.
I won't know if i'd be prepared to pay the additional cost for an ESC which does this without trying one out, i'll certainly be trying one out on my next build. At least the Kontroniks have a high resale value. I've read some good things about the YGE escs too, these seem to be the same kind of price as the CC ESCs, but with a governor which works well. They are stock in the MSH protos (and the new mini protos).
Old Nov 12, 2010, 01:39 PM
Resident Skeptican
USA, AL, Hanceville
Joined May 2008
4,323 Posts
I priced the YGE 40's at $110. If I were to buy a cheap $12 ESC, that would leave me with $98 that I didn't spend. I can buy 6 Flightmax batteries from HK with that $98. That adds up to an additional 48 minutes in the air if I spend the money on batteries instead of a high end ESC.

This is how I look at part costs and practicality. Your viewpoint may not be the same.

Edit:

Also did a bit of research on the YGE brand of ESC, in order to get a consistent governed throttle with it you have to run it in governor store mode, which means you HAVE to have a programming card in order to use it which costs $25. It won't give consistent head speeds unless setup properly for governor store mode.
Last edited by Barak1001; Nov 12, 2010 at 01:44 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 03:17 PM
The New Guy
USA, TX, College Station
Joined Oct 2010
134 Posts
Which kit to buy?

This would be my first build. Which kit do you guys recommend?

the "V2" http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10811

or the "MT" http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=12390
fatalsync is offline Find More Posts by fatalsync
Old Nov 12, 2010, 03:21 PM
Bradford, UK
Joined Sep 2010
99 Posts
Quote:
I priced the YGE 40's at $110. If I were to buy a cheap $12 ESC, that would leave me with $98 that I didn't spend. I can buy 6 Flightmax batteries from HK with that $98. That adds up to an additional 48 minutes in the air if I spend the money on batteries instead of a high end ESC.

This is how I look at part costs and practicality. Your viewpoint may not be the same.

Edit:

Also did a bit of research on the YGE brand of ESC, in order to get a consistent governed throttle with it you have to run it in governor store mode, which means you HAVE to have a programming card in order to use it which costs $25. It won't give consistent head speeds unless setup properly for governor store mode.
Yeah i'm aware you need to use it in gov. store mode, but i didn't realise you need the prog card to access this mode, bit of a shame really, it makes the difference between it and the kontronik less marked.

I absolutely see what you mean about using the money for something else. I think if it's an either/or decision there are better things to spend your budget on than an esc with a working governor, it's a nice to have rather than essential. Having said that, if the extra cost doesn't prevent you purchasing other things, then why not?
Old Nov 12, 2010, 03:23 PM
Resident Skeptican
USA, AL, Hanceville
Joined May 2008
4,323 Posts
I agree with you completely, if budget isn't an issue then why not?

Of course I'm poor so budget is always an issue.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 03:30 PM
Bradford, UK
Joined Sep 2010
99 Posts
Quote:
I agree with you completely, if budget isn't an issue then why not?

Of course I'm poor so budget is always an issue.
I wouldn't even be in this hobby if it wasn't for the price of electronics and kits from HK, there is no way i'd have been willing to spend what it would have cost a few years ago to give it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatalsync View Post

I don't have either, so can't say for sure, but i'd think the MT is better value with the all metal head and tail, although it's a barebones so you'll have no canopy or main blades. You can get those included for an extra $10, although woodies are only a couple of dollars a pair on Ebay, canopies are also cheap.

I might be wrong about this, i'm sure people who have these will be able to give you a better idea.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 03:33 PM
Resident Skeptican
USA, AL, Hanceville
Joined May 2008
4,323 Posts
Given a choice between the plastic V2 and the MT, I'd get the MT barebones and buy the canopy and blades off Ebay as well.

I have an MT and I hated the fiberglass blades that came with the kit. The milk jug canopy they ship with it is also horrible. It's made of a type of plastic that paint won't really stick to. In order to paint it you have to buy plastic primer which is extremely expensive.

For the price of the paint and primer to paint the canopy you can buy about 5 pre-painted canopies off ebay.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 03:34 PM
Registered Broncos Fan!
United States, CO, Aurora
Joined Sep 2007
687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatalsync View Post

I have a V1 and V2, I wish they had the MT available at the time. I would have gotten it instead, and thats what I'd recommend you get.
n00b-E is offline Find More Posts by n00b-E