HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 27, 2013, 02:36 PM
United States, FL, Hernando
Joined Sep 2012
1,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseDuck View Post
So I guess these things will be on my shopping list..

Tarot or Align FBL head. (I tried to get this one off, but I really couldn't. The phillips head screws are on so tight that one was partially stripped, game over)

Align torque tube, the current one wobbles a lot inside the tail, even with dual bearings.

Balanced blades from a better place, main and tail.

Thing is, after I've bought all that, I've almost spent as much on it as a proper Align combo kit, with FBL gyro. So I don't know how long I want to buy parts for this thing..
You might want to use a soldering iron to heat up the nut,or where it threads in. These are coming with thread lock on them and they use quite a bit.

I ordered my kit about 4 months ago and besides the main shaft and the tail assy being plastic crap, I wasnt disappointed , and for $28.00 I didnt expect as much as I got. But then again, I enjoy the building and altering as much if not more than flying out of a box. Tho the aggravating part of it all is how long it takes to get parts.
War Horse is offline Find More Posts by War Horse
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2013, 04:36 PM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,071 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseDuck View Post
So I guess these things will be on my shopping list..

Tarot or Align FBL head. (I tried to get this one off, but I really couldn't. The phillips head screws are on so tight that one was partially stripped, game over)

Align torque tube, the current one wobbles a lot inside the tail, even with dual bearings.

Balanced blades from a better place, main and tail.

Thing is, after I've bought all that, I've almost spent as much on it as a proper Align combo kit, with FBL gyro. So I don't know how long I want to buy parts for this thing..
Unfortunately playing the "clone game" can be tricky - simply saying that a heli is a "clone" is a bit mis-leading as there is a lot of difference in quality between the top end clones (Tarot, ALZRC, and more recently VWINRC and VCTRC apparently, but I've not tried them) and the lower end (HobbyKing, Skya, etc.). The differences are mainly due to fit and slop, quality of the metal, quality of bearings, the quality of electronics in combo kits is usually pretty poor as well.

As you have found you can get unlucky with a low-end clone, and need to replace a lot (though to be fair I have often received pre-bent Align mainshafts as well).

I have a Tarot 450 Pro that is excellent, a Copterx 450 that is very good, and a generic 450 SE V2 clone that is largely Tarot now also.

You can get a Tarot head for $11 from MiracleMart occasionally and a pro shaft and tail for about $20, which should get a lot of the issues sorted
MikeHRC is online now Find More Posts by MikeHRC
Old Feb 27, 2013, 07:29 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,108 Posts
Yes it seems the lower clones use rolled steal for the shafts (that is why they are never straight and the TT they just slap the ends in and then put it on a lath and turn them true. This puts thin spots in the rod and makes them completely unbalanced.
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 27, 2013, 07:36 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,599 Posts
Those higher end clones are so expensive, however, that they start to negate the reason of using a clone, but they are still cheaper. I have my 450 TT FBL in the box and all the parts to build it, but first I am going to build my Genuine Align 450 Sport, I am getting tired of messing with clones that don't fly, but I am learning a lot. I just ordered a DFC head for my sport cause it was on sale so we'll see how that goes, then I'll build the HK450 and have 2 to compare. Gonna stick flymentor on my Hausler 450 and put in in a scale fuse for relaxing scale flight. The Hausler would have flown I felt if the radio settings didn't get messed up when I hooked it to the computer (I didn't mess it up).
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Feb 27, 2013, 07:57 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,108 Posts
Yes get that sport together! When I got back into helicopters I got two clone 450's and a Align 450SA. If it wasn't for the Align I would of quit. I still have that Align 450 and have honored it by putting it in a scale fuse. I also still have one of the clones that in five years has seen about 10 flights. Seems every time I took it up some new problem came up. That is not to bash the clones. My 450pro is a clone hybrid, Ok 85% align now, but in the old days that SA was always ready to fly and when I didn't crash it was ready for the next flight.
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 27, 2013, 08:10 PM
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
5,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Horse View Post
Thanks for trying Jombo, but different tail assy, mine has the long through bolts.

Though I wonder if the thread pitch is the same. I can measure the length of the old bolts.... hmm.
I just realized what screws your talking about . I have the 450 pro sport with those screws too. I ended up using a new exi tail from heli from a 450 pro.
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Old Feb 28, 2013, 01:12 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
I should've gone for an Align kit from the very start, it's not that I couldn't afford it, I was just being cheap and thought "HKs kit probably isnt THAT bad!"

Well, I put aside my frustration and identified some rather inexpensive parts that should be replaced. First off, the vibrations in the tail definitely come from the torque tube, so I'll get another one of those and also adjust the bearing position a bit. (At 80% throttle I see red bars in the "main" and "tail" windows in "vibration analysis" when I use my Robird G31 controller)

I'll replace the entire head, the phillips head screws up top have been stripped completely now and because of the type of screw they use, you can't use a plier to get these out.

So a new Tarot FBL head then, preferably with main shaft already installed.

What else... I need to check the tail rotor assembly again. There is some slop but at least it doesn't vibrate like hell.

Another alternative is to simply wait, save up for an Align kit and then convert this thing into a flybarred heli instead. I'm seriously considering this, I'm not really in a hurry to get this thing into the air since I'll only use it a lot when the club moves back out to the flying field this summer.
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Last edited by WiseDuck; Feb 28, 2013 at 01:20 AM.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 06:03 AM
Joined Sep 2012
1,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jombo View Post
I just realized what screws your talking about . I have the 450 pro sport with those screws too. I ended up using a new exi tail from heli from a 450 pro.
Thanks, I'll look into that tail assy then. It'll be easier to R&R the tail for removal of the fuse.

Would you have a link for it ?
Old Feb 28, 2013, 08:27 AM
AMA# 548800
Joined Dec 2007
5,007 Posts
Yep it's the whole tail with the belt . It still has Philips screws . The other pro tail is out of stock
http://www.xheli.com/exi-31121.html In stock
http://www.xheli.com/exi-18121.html Out of stock
Old Feb 28, 2013, 08:43 AM
Joined Sep 2012
1,460 Posts
Hm, thanks for the link. I wonder why they use phillips on all of them ? It must be about expense or possibly even a weight issue. I'll see if Trimcraft Aviation has some socket head screws for the tail.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:13 AM
AMA# 548800
Joined Dec 2007
5,007 Posts
Be careful , I think they use them because the pitch slider may get hung up on them .
The best thing to do is retap the other side . Then it wouldn't matter of what side the bolt stuck out from
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:22 AM
Joined Sep 2012
1,460 Posts
LOL, I'm a retired auto mechanic and dont think I have a tap that small

I'll order some bolts and see if theres any interference with other parts. I'll report my findings when I get the screws.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:40 PM
AMA# 548800
Joined Dec 2007
5,007 Posts
I have a set from harbor freight . It wasn't expensive , like 30.00 . There is a real cheap one too for 15.00 , just garbage . I could of made a set better than that.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:42 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Horse View Post
LOL, I'm a retired auto mechanic and dont think I have a tap that small
sounds like you need to treat yourself to a bigger heli then!

(easier to see, too!)
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Feb 28, 2013, 01:10 PM
Joined Sep 2012
1,460 Posts
I'll tell ya guys, you really know how to egg a guy on.

One thing I dont need is more tools (never thought I'd hear myself say that), but I must say the idea of a bigger heli to fit my tools sounds intriguing..... now, how do I hide a 700 from my wife.