HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:35 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridge_racer View Post
Be careful reconnecting and using a Turnigy rx with the antenna pulled out. First off, the ant is a co-axial shielded cable. The inner core wire that is insulated must not make contact with the shielded outer part. I have had this happen twice due to a bad crash (one in a delta wing plank and second in my heli) and both my attempts were not successful. I ended up with bad glitches from as close as 40 feet away. Considering how cheap the rx's are, I just buy new ones....
I also told him to make sure there was no short circuit

And finally that he should do a range check to make sure it all worked.

First thing I said was that a new one was $9
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:51 PM
Yes, I know it's upside down.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
3,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
(It is more like a long string of capacitors and inductors. The actual signal travels in the insulator, the wires merely servo to guide it along the way. )
Brings to mind all of those useless transmission lines crossing the country. After all, since the power is actually travelling in the air surround the conductors, why do we need to ruin all that pretty country side with ugly steel towers?
Harrow is offline Find More Posts by Harrow
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:57 PM
Joined Dec 2002
16,606 Posts
There are some differences between signals at 60 hz and those at 2.4 ghz.

You could in theory use a waveguide for 60 hz , it would only be about 40 million times larger in the critical dimensions

You can't just have the insulator of course, the signal is guided by the conductors.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:06 PM
Yes, I know it's upside down.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
3,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
There are some differences between signals at 60 hz and those at 2.4 ghz.

You could in theory use a waveguide for 60 hz , it would only be about 40 million times larger in the critical dimensions

You can't just have the insulator of course, the signal is guided by the conductors.
Maybe I should mention what I do for living - design the power system. There's not much difference, they are only wave guides as well, just larger voltages and currents to support the E-M wave, and not tuned. Although I once did a job in Vietnam where the distance between substations was exactly 1500km. Do the math, yep at 50Hz, it would have been the largest 1/4 wave dipole in the world. Had to detune it with reactors or the thing would have looked like a short ciruit.
Harrow is offline Find More Posts by Harrow
Last edited by Harrow; Feb 16, 2013 at 08:12 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:12 PM
heli wrecker extrordinaire
United States, WA, Lynden
Joined Nov 2004
184 Posts
got a question, been flyin for a while , aint great but aint bad either.
What is the rotation of the tail rotor on a belt drive, flip it it and it reverses, best pull on the belt comes up to counter clockwise. At least that is what i see. but then the tail is torquing backwards. I just wanna know .
Nute is offline Find More Posts by Nute
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:14 PM
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
5,010 Posts
The main blades spin clockwise and the tail blades spin up into the blades .
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:45 PM
heli wrecker extrordinaire
United States, WA, Lynden
Joined Nov 2004
184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jombo View Post
The main blades spin clockwise and the tail blades spin up into the blades .
so clock wise then..... thanks sir
Nute is offline Find More Posts by Nute
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:48 PM
Joined Dec 2012
88 Posts
I think pmackenzie did a good job in laying out my options. Atleast 80% of the outer strands is making contact with its PCB plate, and the core cable is securely soldered to its relative spot. I then wrapped the bare PCB in electrical tape (sticky part on PCB) that should keep any loose outer strands from traveling and making contact with the main core.

Anyway, the fun part! It flue great today! A lot more responsive to my input and felt more comfortable those dead band settings really made the difference... Matter of fact it was a windy day, with gusts of 25 mph from what I could tell, and that kind of interrupted my ability to really test the waters. But even in the wind it was a blast, and now I'm much happier with it! my collective mix settings are still at 0 but I didn't notice any tail drift...maybe the windy conditions didn't make it clear to notice , or possibly because I didn't really push it around too much for it to glitch out.

Thanx for all your help!

Unfortunately, I messed up yet another set of tail gear (the ones that make contact with the main gear set) I have been flying on grass fields and I'm starting to think that I either need to raise my bird off the ground, or I'll have to look around harder for a cemented alternative.

Spending 30 minutes making gear replacements every time I fly is not something I'm looking forward to...Especially without even crashing!....basically the simple act of landing can ruin my day. It's just about the worst thing that can happen, in terms of getting to the part . I have to remove the boom, disconnect the rear tail ball link, then remove the Gyro plate, and have to manage all the wires again as they all end up right over the tail boom holder. then removing the tail boom holder, and dealing with the often tough to take out gear bearings, etc... what a mess!.

Where do you guys fly your birds? Any ideas for places to look for other than a proper RC field would be appreciated...closest RC field is about 40 min. away.
tsakali is offline Find More Posts by tsakali
Last edited by tsakali; Feb 16, 2013 at 10:54 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:42 AM
South London United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2003
1,139 Posts
Hi tsakali

I fly from a field where they never seem to cut the grass. Haven't blown the tail gears yet, but I seem to spend ages untangling grass from the tail mechanism.
My solution was to modify a 500 size u/c to fit.

Also gives a slightly wider footprint for landing.

Posted this picture before, opinions were mixed as to the aesthetics, but I like it.

I haven't, but you could also fit a larger tailfin. Keeps everything out of the muck.

Cheers

BL
Border Lord is online now Find More Posts by Border Lord
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:52 AM
United Kingdom, England, Manchester
Joined Jan 2013
169 Posts

Complete and flying well.

Upgrades:

RJX head
Align canopy
Align main gear, auto rotation gear, mainshaft and tail pitch slider.
HK carbon main blades.

Cyclic servos MG90S
Tail Servo EFLRDS76T
Tarot ZYX-S with Spektrum satellite.
GadgetMart is online now Find More Posts by GadgetMart
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:32 AM
Looptastic!
Enschede, Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,243 Posts
tsakali, the 6-channel Rx from the TR6a V2 connects to the T9X. I use them on most of my smaller aircraft. You do lose channel 7 and 8. Perhaps an option when you build your second 450.
sp00fman is offline Find More Posts by sp00fman
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:39 AM
Joined Dec 2002
16,606 Posts
The 6ch is also much easier to fit in a 450.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_6Ch_V2.html
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:40 AM
Joined Dec 2012
88 Posts
bookmarked
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:48 AM
Joined Dec 2012
88 Posts
Also, Border Lord that's def. an option. I'm not too concerned with aesthetics just yet, although that does matter to me

also lol @ the " Kong-Fu black soldering batch" I will wear it proudly!...and prolly have to put it through another test when I start moding my 9x I sure hope they are not too serious with me needing a grounded soldering gun to work with :/
Last edited by tsakali; Feb 17, 2013 at 08:59 AM.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:28 AM
Joined Dec 2012
88 Posts
k one more question! (lies) I got to push the pitch/throttle a little more today (pitch pump?), and I noticed some rapid tail bounce (back and forth about 2-3 times )...is the mixing or the tail gain the culprit? I hope it's not my tail servo (Henge MD922 Digital) on Head Hold mode
Last edited by tsakali; Feb 17, 2013 at 10:33 AM.