Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:28 AM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,101 Posts
I would agree! You may also check your oneway bearing. A little side to side movement is ok on the swash, but yours looks excessive. If it is flybar the worst is the ball will fall out and all of your controls will seem mushy. Flybarless and I would think the gyro would go nuts. (nuts) technical term lol!
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:53 AM
Joined Dec 2012
88 Posts
heh, I tell you, you gotta love this hobby to put up with all the maintenance requirements. But being that I usually tempt to learn the hard way, I'm still going to take it out today for a mild flight...whatever happens happens!

ps
yes, I popcorn my own situations.
tsakali is offline Find More Posts by tsakali
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:41 AM
South London United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2003
1,136 Posts
Hi tsakali

That main gear wobble looks excessive.
Before you replace it, just try one thing.
Pop the main gear out, undo the four screws that hold the hub in place, then see how easy it is to push the hub away from the main gear.
If it is at all tight, that may be your problem.
If so, use a little fine emery cloth and rub around the edge of the hub, a little at a time, until the hub fits into the gear with no, or very little, pressure.
Then re-tighten the four screws in sequence.
Imagine looking at a clock face you tighten the screws in order
12 o'clock
6 o'clock
3 o/clock
9 o'clock
and so on.
Each a little at a time, with a dab of threadlock, until snug.
Do not overtighten.
Might not work, but worth a try.

Cheers

BL
Border Lord is offline Find More Posts by Border Lord
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:44 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,652 Posts
Peen!

Sometimes you can tighten up the swash. If you look on the underside, you may see four or more points where it's been peened together - and using a small hammer and a suitable punch, you might be able to tighten it up if the bottom half is not pressed all the way up.

Don't use threadlock on any plastic parts, by the way, the maingear bolts hold just fine into the plastic. Sometimes you can take out some wobble by annealing the gear - soaking it in hot water for a while, though I've always just replaced the gears, and keep plenty in stock. You could try refitting the gear rotated thru 90 degrees to see if it makes any difference.
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:13 PM
South London United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2003
1,136 Posts
Hi

Sorry, 2doggs is absolutely right. Forgot the bolts go through the hub and self thread into the plastic. Don't need the threadlock, but the rest is worth trying.

Cheers

BL
Border Lord is offline Find More Posts by Border Lord
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:39 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,101 Posts
I use a bit of CA glue on the threads. I have had them come loose.
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:29 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2010
2,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsakali View Post
heh, I tell you, you gotta love this hobby to put up with all the maintenance requirements. But being that I usually tempt to learn the hard way, I'm still going to take it out today for a mild flight...whatever happens happens!

ps
yes, I popcorn my own situations.
The wobble you have in the swash can only be repaired with a new swash. That center ball is loose fitting in the plastic cup. Not the end of the world. It will still fly just fine. As for the wobble in the main gear, make sure the one way bearing is seated evenly in the main gear...A little wobble is fine. I have genuine Align gears with a little wobble.
ridge_racer is offline Find More Posts by ridge_racer
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:03 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowquest View Post
Pics would help, if it feels like it is binding/ too tight, you might need to take it apart and see if you have shims inside, and take 1 or several out depending what you have. Sometimes they use shims to make the pivot point tight, and lack the quality control/intelligence to think, hey that hinge point is tight, maybe I shouldn't put 2 shims in there?

Check for shims under the flanges of the bearings on the metal arms. You may need to remove 1 or both of these so that the bearings touch in the middle. If the inner races of the bearings aren't touching then the bearings will bind when the screw is tightened. some arm designs will have a collar between the bearings, and some are just designed to touch each other in the middle.

It's normal for there to be a little bit of drag in the plastic arm but the metal arm should be completely free when the screw is tightened.
Atomic Skull is online now Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Last edited by Atomic Skull; Feb 10, 2013 at 09:21 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:12 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsakali View Post
I guess I would need really close up images for that!....but i happen to have a video I took showing how my swashplate is prolly damaged do to possibly mishandling it as I was trying to pop off the radius arms from the ball links, so I could inspect tightness of them while screwing it in.

And also my main gear set is suspect for replacement as I feel the wobble is a little more than most people would tolerate I meant to post it yesterday but apparently youtube takes a while to process videos these days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-otcNCEp-h0

btw that video makes me sound like darth vader for some reason :P
Looks like the one way bearing case is what is wobbling not the gear itself. Maybe the one way bearing is bad. A bad or low quality one way bearing can cause the main gear to wobble but I've never seen it that bad before.

A OOB isn't hard to replace, you just need a vice and a one way bearing removal tool (about $4, Amain has them) there's a video on Youtube that covers how to do it. Helidirect has ABEC-3 OOBs for around $3.

T-rex 450 SE V2 One Way bearing replacement.wmv (5 min 39 sec)

I think the swashplate is actually defective. Unless you applied King Kong levels of force to it it should not be able to wobble around the mainshaft like that.
Atomic Skull is online now Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:06 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,652 Posts
The swashplate is definitely dodgy, but with one of my HK ones, the peening method worked a treat. There is a piece pressed in to the underside of the swash, held in place by four or more points peened over, and it's possible for the factory to do that but not have the insert seated hard up to the underside of the top piece. Since the O.P's heli is new, and not yet flown, there's a chance that it suffers from this flaw. It can't be worn out, and it's highly unlikely that the manufacturer has their tolerances that bad that it could generate that amount of sideways play - so I suspect mis-assembly on the manufacturer's part. Trouble is tsakali is so anxious to get flying that he's in danger of destroying the evidence.....
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:20 PM
Joined Dec 2012
88 Posts
wow, this place is active! Border Lord I will try your suggestion! and if not I will replace! thx for the vid Atomic.

2Doggs, the swashplate was perfect when I first tested! so no bad blood there. I must have damaged it when handling the ball links at some point. I think I applied to much preccure on the top part of the swash, against the bottom part with the ball link pliers by rookie mistake, and must have forced it our of it's place... if that's the case like mentioend, I might be able to repair it. No time to get into ti right now, but prolly over the week.

Anyway, I had 5 minutes of air time today! mostly hovering and testing the cyclic waters... K it's safe to say for my first time, I was scared of the bird, and I needed to get used to the way these helis react to input,compared to how my little v911 reacts :P

I am already doing basic 3D tricks in the simulator, but for some reason, I was frozen solid with the real thing

I chose my flight location poorly and when I landed in a patch of thick grass, the tail blade caught and managed to strip one of the small front tail gears that drive the rod. all is well, I just so happened to have these replacement parts as a precaution, having read about the nature of rod driven tails... I was expecting some level of carnage but at-least it wasn't my bad flying :P

Either way, very exciting and I can't wait to get it back out there! The elevator stick felt very eager to please, not sure if it's my settings or it's natural tendency to act like a wild beast, or just the nature of CP.

There's a park 7 minutes from my work.. I could prolly stretch some lunches to an hour and try to sneak in some flying during the week... there's no way I'm gonna make it till next weekend
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:41 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
Welp, all that's missing now is the FBL controller on my HK450 clone. I haven't run up the motor to 100% yet though, it's scary enough as it is on 50% and I can feel vibrations coming from the tail. Surprisingly little wobble on the main gear, almost none on the second gear that drives the tail. So it seems like I don't have to deal with bad gears which the HK clones are infamous for. I'm having another look at the torque tube later. It's really difficult to get it perfectly straight.
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:45 AM
I can fly!
Australia, TAS, East Launceston
Joined Aug 2010
84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs View Post
The swashplate is definitely dodgy, but with one of my HK ones, the peening method worked a treat. There is a piece pressed in to the underside of the swash, held in place by four or more points peened over, and it's possible for the factory to do that but not have the insert seated hard up to the underside of the top piece. Since the O.P's heli is new, and not yet flown, there's a chance that it suffers from this flaw. It can't be worn out, and it's highly unlikely that the manufacturer has their tolerances that bad that it could generate that amount of sideways play - so I suspect mis-assembly on the manufacturer's part. Trouble is tsakali is so anxious to get flying that he's in danger of destroying the evidence.....
By chance I noticed an increase in 'slop' in my swash so last night I stripped it down.

By drilling 2 1.5mm holes into the base of the swash assembly, going from the inside. One hole on either side I could put a rod in each hole and by crossing them over unscrew the base of the swash.

It's hard to explain but it is imposible to grip the base if the swash so by adding holes u could get a grip.

Anyway reassembled swash and by tightening it up more it has removed a lot of the slop.

How long should you expect to get out of a swash plate? I am up to about 75 flights.
dceng888 is offline Find More Posts by dceng888
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:30 AM
If it Works, You Better Fix It
North Idaho
Joined Feb 2011
689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs View Post
Sometimes you can tighten up the swash. If you look on the underside, you may see four or more points where it's been peened together - and using a small hammer and a suitable punch, you might be able to tighten it up if the bottom half is not pressed all the way up.
My Tarot swash plate is actually threaded not peened. The shash in the video appeared to be Tarot. The plactic cup may be missing however with that much slop.The marks that look like peening are notches for a spanner wrench. I use expanding e-clip pliers to get into the grooves and turn it. This will tighten it up just don't over do it. Tarot also makes a tool for this.

Bill S.
VelocityRC is offline Find More Posts by VelocityRC
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:37 PM
Joined Dec 2012
88 Posts
2Doggs, I missed your last remark on my first read....but evidence still intact .since there seems to be curiosity on the subject, I will be getting home really soon, so i will pull it out and take some pictures of the swashplate from underneath...will post soon.