Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 08, 2013, 03:28 AM
UK
Joined May 2007
3,204 Posts
I know. What I mean is if you get FBL head (as spare parts) and add it to it (and maybe CNC TT blade grips) it is going to be really good price for FBL heli. Hm. Yes - quite close to what I already have!
clicky is offline Find More Posts by clicky
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2013, 07:09 AM
Joined Jun 2008
467 Posts
Just do what i did, and change your belt to a TT .It usually takes a week from rc711 to the UK but Chinese new year is looming...
http://www.rc711.com/shop/alzrc-devi...th=166_216_354
fishfiend is offline Find More Posts by fishfiend
Old Feb 08, 2013, 07:43 AM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,036 Posts
BL,

Replied to you in the other thread - I used a Outrage G5 boom and belt from Fast-Lad to stretch my 450 and swing 360mm blades. About £10 for a belt and 2 booms.

Cheers,
Mike.
MikeHRC is offline Find More Posts by MikeHRC
Old Feb 08, 2013, 11:47 AM
South London United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2003
1,098 Posts
Hi Mike

Posted in both forums, not quite sure whether anyone was still following the older 450 stretch one.
Anyway, thanks for your input.
In fact I already have a stretch 450 (actually Ark 400, but who's counting) using G5 parts.
Haven't maidened it yet, Weather getting in the way, but I am sure it will fly ok.
Trouble is, I am using 360mm blades, and the tips are getting close to the tail blades. I may have to fit larger tail blades later to cope with the extra torque which will make the problem worse.
Also, overall the set up looks out of proportion, the rotor disc covering almost all of the body.
The G5 boom is 380mm, where the Tarot one is 405, a handy extra 25mm.
Might try to source a pair of G5 350mm blades for the shorter one.
Meanwhile, back at the plot
Boom is sorted from Oomodel.
Sent an e-mail to Infinity, questioning the postage charge. Very impressed with quick reply.
Offered to ship out in an ordinary padded envelope for a fraction of the original cost.
Well done Infinity, couple of belts on the way.
Guess all I am left with is the 250mm flybar.
Must be something out there I can use.
Come on, guys!

Cheers

BL
Border Lord is offline Find More Posts by Border Lord
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:18 PM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,036 Posts
BL,

I've always found infinity good to deal with.

Don't forget that as well as more torque from the blades you'll also have more leverage to counter this from the extra length of the boom. Mine flew nicely with the 360's and longer boom, though I didn't hammer it - it was set up to be stable and gentle as my inverted flight trainer. It's now converted to a night flyer rig.

The extra 25mm must make the heli look a bit out of proportion though I would have thought ...

Cheers,
Mike
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:08 PM
Joined Jun 2003
1,098 Posts
Hi Mike

You may well be right about the tail. I am going with the standard set up to start, and see. Easy to change if needed.
Proportion is a subjective thing. Haven't flown the 400 yet, but did a quick spin up in the flat. Looking from above, all you see is rotor disc.
That looked out of proportion to me, but I may well change once it is flying.
What power set up did you use?

Meanwhile

AS
That's the same picture they use at Infinity, and they list as a Tarot kit
http://www.infinity-hobby.com/main/p...ff7579daaa288e
Wonder whether STO make them for Tarot, or vice versa. That side frame looks like a Pro/SE hybrid. Single sides but with the servo mounts in the frame.
Interesting.

mhills
No, hadn't seen the Alzrc kit, thanks for the link. Little pricey for me, looking to see what can be done on a budget. Thanks anyway.
Wonder why they didn't include the rear part of the body. Might have made it more attractive for the money.

Meanwhile, still looking for a 250mm flybar. Anyone help?

Cheers

BL
Old Feb 08, 2013, 02:11 PM
Joined Jun 2003
1,098 Posts
Hi, me again

If you wander round the internet long enough, you always find something useful.
The 360mm blades I have are from HK. They are 360 by their strange way of measuring from extreme root to extreme tip.
Normal measurement from bolt hole to tip, they are 350mm, the same as the Outrage ones.
Oh well, saves me having to track down those G5 blades.

Meanwhile, back at the flybar.
I can see the wisdom of going bigger than standard, but what do you think would be the effect of going even bigger.
Reason I ask is I have a Protos 500 which has a 2mm flybar, but 270mm.
Quick run to the spares box produced a spare.
Could I use this?
Not looking for a definitive answer, just an idea of the effect, good or bad.

Cheers

BL
Old Feb 08, 2013, 02:31 PM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Border Lord View Post
Meanwhile, back at the flybar.
I can see the wisdom of going bigger than standard, but what do you think would be the effect of going even bigger.
Reason I ask is I have a Protos 500 which has a 2mm flybar, but 270mm.
Quick run to the spares box produced a spare.
Could I use this?
Not looking for a definitive answer, just an idea of the effect, good or bad.

Cheers

BL
From what I've read before - not much difference, the longer FB will make the heli more responsive, but the extra length will also make it more agile. It sounds like a win / win. The perceptin was that th eonly reason that you wouldn't want a longer FB was aesthetics. However this was on the internet - so all the usual warnings apply

Cheers,
Mike
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:11 PM
Looptastic!
Enschede, Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,192 Posts
What to do with ond gyro's

Sorry, the LH520 topic is to old to reply. Il will just dump my post here as some of you might have this Leadershobby gyro.

Have not used this gyro some time, all my birds have FBL controllers now..... so i put two LH520's on my little HK Parkjet !
Stripped of the cases the Gyro /rx unit weights in under 20 grams.

Let her rip!!
sp00fman is offline Find More Posts by sp00fman
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:14 PM
Looptastic!
Enschede, Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,192 Posts
sp00fman is offline Find More Posts by sp00fman
Last edited by sp00fman; Feb 08, 2013 at 08:16 PM. Reason: doublepost
Old Feb 09, 2013, 11:01 AM
Joined Dec 2012
88 Posts
hello fellow RC'ers!
so after what felt like months of reading and learning about helis and all the various components/electrical/ etc, I finally got all my parts in for a tarot build and I'm about 90% done with it. However I have a few questions that I'd like to get to the bottom of before I turn my maiden flight into only flight :P

A concern of mine is the way the tail is acting... after my zyx -s setup, it seems that when I adjust the HH and rate settings with very minimal rudder input, the control link moves all the way to the ends. with not even half a stick worth of input... if I completely remove any HH and rate bias, then it acts normally with much better range of the rudder stick movement. How can fix this? the servo arm ball is set to 8mm distance.

One more noob question. I have the 9X stock firmware, how do i set up my throttle as a stand alone input from one of my TX's knob controls? as it is right now, when I adjust the pitch the throttle also revs up...I can't seem to find any setting for that under the zyx setup program on the PC. In general I have no idea how to set up my 9X TX with all the necessary settings to be ready for flight, (idle up, I know throttle hold already) any instructions or links for noob setup for a 6 channel heli would be appreciated.
tsakali is offline Find More Posts by tsakali
Old Feb 09, 2013, 11:14 AM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,601 Posts
Bench vs in the air

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsakali View Post
hello fellow RC'ers!
so after what felt like months of reading and learning about helis and all the various components/electrical/ etc, I finally got all my parts in for a tarot build and I'm about 90% done with it. However I have a few questions that I'd like to get to the bottom of before I turn my maiden flight into only flight :P

A concern of mine is the way the tail is acting... after my zyx -s setup, it seems that when I adjust the HH and rate settings with very minimal rudder input, the control link moves all the way to the ends. with not even half a stick worth of input... if I completely remove any HH and rate bias, then it acts normally with much better range of the rudder stick movement. How can fix this? the servo arm ball is set to 8mm distance.
This is normal behaviour on the bench. When you input some rudder, the gyro expects to see a rate of turn - and with the heli on the bench, there is no turn, so it adds rudder.

Quote:
One more noob question. I have the 9X stock firmware, how do i set up my throttle as a stand alone input from one of my TX's knob controls? as it is right now, when I adjust the pitch the throttle also revs up...I can't seem to find any setting for that under the zyx setup program on the PC. In general I have no idea how to set up my 9X TX with all the necessary settings to be ready for flight, (idle up, I know throttle hold already) any instructions or links for noob setup for a 6 channel heli would be appreciated.
On a model heli, throttle and collective pitch are always linked - so you don't control the throttle separately, as you might on a full size heli. Instead, you use pitch and throttle "curves", with the goal of keeping the rotor speed constant. It's very different from the way throttle works on a fixed wing model aircraft.

For learning to fly, you might set up special pitch and throttle curves that soften the pitch response and extend the hover time. If you don't have anyone near you to help you with your setup, make sure you ask lots of questions on this forum!

Good luck!
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Feb 09, 2013, 11:22 AM
Joined Dec 2012
88 Posts
thank you for the quick reply! I live in in New Orleans, and from the looks of it, there are proly 4 of us all together in this hobby (atleast it feels that way :P ) And I don't know anyone who does any type of RC'ing so I am flying solo ...I will look around for pitch and throttle curve settings!
tsakali is offline Find More Posts by tsakali
Old Feb 09, 2013, 11:32 AM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,601 Posts
with luck, you will end up as an example of how someone can fly an FBL heli as their first proper heli. Make sure you have training gear, and remember the only stupid question is the one not asked....
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Feb 09, 2013, 12:23 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2010
2,274 Posts
Quote:
thank you for the quick reply! I live in in New Orleans, and from the looks of it, there are proly 4 of us all together in this hobby (atleast it feels that way :P ) And I don't know anyone who does any type of RC'ing so I am flying solo ...I will look around for pitch and throttle curve settings!
Do you know how to get to the pitch and throttle curve menu in the 9x? If so then all we need really is what KV motor you have and the pinion gear size assuming you have a straight cut 150T main gear. We can calculate your head speed and come up with pitch and throttle curves for your setup.
ridge_racer is offline Find More Posts by ridge_racer