as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
SPM1600
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...tage-Protector

But this is a bandaid solution. Use a good enough BEC and you won't have any brownouts.
Sorry, I don't agree with that. No BEC should be expected to handle very high short current peaks, that can cause a brown out. And don't forget the resistance in the lengthy lead running from the BEC. The capacitor just smooths the voltage at the Rx and gyro and is a very worthwhile addition, if you can fit it in.

HobbyKing also has a 3300uf 16V capacitor that works well for smaller helis:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Protector.html
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Last edited by beenflying; Jan 27, 2013 at 08:18 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:45 PM
Beginner Pilot
United States, NY, Coram
Joined Jul 2012
374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying View Post
Sorry, I don't agree with that. No BEC should be expected to handle very high short current peaks, that can cause a brown out. And don't forget the resistance in the lengthy lead running from the BEC. The capacitor just smooths the voltage at the Rx and gyro and is a very worthwhile addition, if you can fit it in.

HobbyKing also has a 3300uf 16V capacitor that works well for smaller helis:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Protector.html
I see that the turnigy one is good up to 3s.... what is the spektrum one good for?
gs550t1981 is offline Find More Posts by gs550t1981
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:50 PM
If I build it, it will fly
United States, NY, East Rochester
Joined Jan 2012
712 Posts
Also if you have any old electronics lying around you can scavenge a nice cap, solder leads & shrink tube from a dead servo, freebee! Just be sure the voltage rating is above that of your servo/rx requirements & the cap size is reasonable.

~psguardian
psguardian is online now Find More Posts by psguardian
Last edited by psguardian; Jan 27, 2013 at 08:57 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:15 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
17,088 Posts
There is already a cap in the receiver and on the output of the BEC. So adding another to me is redundant.
I use a fairly small switching BEC in my HK450, and never once have I had a brownout.

AFAIK, this idea came from the car guys, they do all kinds of odd things.
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:16 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
17,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs550t1981 View Post
I see that the turnigy one is good up to 3s.... what is the spektrum one good for?
The size of the battery is irrelevant, the receiver power is 5 or 6 volts maximum.
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:46 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,739 Posts
From looking at the circuits in my RX I don't have a large cap for reducing power flux and if I follow the curcuit board on the caps in my bec they seem to be on the input side that will do nothing for draw on the low side. More for smoothing out power going into the bec not out.
mhills51 is online now Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:58 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,770 Posts
Do I have a fake GY401? I got it used, have no reason to beleive it's fake but it has phillips screws holding it together and everywhere I read it says the fakes have phillips while the real ones have tri star screws. I took pics and opened it up. Looks nice inside, not like some cheap one. There is no nut inside for weight and the servo connectors appear gold plated. So it is just the screws that raise a concern. What do you guys think?
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:01 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,963 Posts
Quote:
There is already a cap in the receiver and on the output of the BEC. So adding another to me is redundant.
I use a fairly small switching BEC in my HK450, and never once have I had a brownout.

Usually about 100uF. Not enough to help with any high current loads. Don't rubbish something just because you haven't needed it. I can assure you that they have worked for me, and stopped an early Align 3GX from having brownouts.

Also read the comment on this site:
http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/spm1600.htm

It's a small price to pay for a little extra assurance...
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Last edited by beenflying; Jan 28, 2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:13 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
Do I have a fake GY401? I got it used, have no reason to beleive it's fake but it has phillips screws holding it together and everywhere I read it says the fakes have phillips while the real ones have tri star screws. I took pics and opened it up. Looks nice inside, not like some cheap one. There is no nut inside for weight and the servo connectors appear gold plated. So it is just the screws that raise a concern. What do you guys think?
Looks like a real one to me. I would check the screws on mine that I know is 100% real, but I don't want to pull it off my heli to show. It's about four years old and still rockin. I don't think it had the security screws just Philips. Futaba sells replacement cases and they don't include any special driver. I would almost think it's the fakes that would use a screw to keep you out lol! Most of the fakes sell for about $38 on line.

This one for $18 is a fake lol! http://www.dhgate.com/p-ff8080813bc8...FQKRPAodW14A2A
mhills51 is online now Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by mhills51; Jan 27, 2013 at 11:26 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:06 AM
RCHN #202
United States, CA, El Cajon
Joined Nov 2007
733 Posts
Sorry, Mine has the 3 way philips, and says made in Taiwan on the bottom. Maybe I have the fake????? I'll make you a good deal on it...
Dowquest is offline Find More Posts by Dowquest
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:19 AM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Dec 2008
536 Posts
Quote:

Yep, the cars guys seem to think a tiny cap will do all sorts of wonderous things, even believing these small caps will give more power under high load
The cap smooths ripple & helps get rid of noise on the 4.8v line.
El cheapo car servo's can put out alot of noise into the receiver, causing some (Spektrun) rx's to restart(brownout). The cap will help in that case : I had this issue on my RC car, I scoped it up to see whats going on. I replaced the chinese servo with a futaba & the brownout issue went away.
1101 is offline Find More Posts by 1101
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:48 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,770 Posts
Thanks, I think it's a real one. A fake one would not have all that going on inside. It's highly likely that case designs changed over time as well as screws, but all the reports of fake ones I read reported a rusty nut in there for weight, while mine has that huge sensor sandwiched in there.
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:53 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying View Post
A filter capacitor is standard in switching power supplies and yet almost all BEC's seem to lack this I wonder why?
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Last edited by Atomic Skull; Jan 28, 2013 at 03:06 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:02 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
El cheapo car servo's can put out alot of noise into the receiver, causing some (Spektrun) rx's to restart(brownout). The cap will help in that case : I had this issue on my RC car, I scoped it up to see whats going on. I replaced the chinese servo with a futaba & the brownout issue went away.
A switching regulator is also noisy compared to a linear regulator (but much more efficient)
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:47 PM
If I build it, it will fly
United States, NY, East Rochester
Joined Jan 2012
712 Posts
Headspeed aside (can buy motor for desired HS), what pinion has the best mesh with the main gear?

~psguardian
psguardian is online now Find More Posts by psguardian