SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:01 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_heart View Post
I would be taking a look at your servos and How far out are the balls on the servo horns?
Yeah, for sure, but it should have been right from the factory. That's why I bought it, oh well. Another $100 down the drain. I really could have bought something nice that works by now. No more cheap RTF's for me. They are a waste of time.
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:34 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs550t1981 View Post
Damn servos just crapped out!!!! My hitec elevator servo just crapped out one me. The hs65mg. I am very low on cash these days. What servos are you guys running on a fbl setup that are cheapys but are pretty decent and will last. These hitecs have been through hell and back. Anyone know of a cheapo servo that will do the same. Remember. running it fbl. Thanks!!!!
Here's three price ranges.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...11s_1_5kg.html

Ino-Labs are actually very good servos. You have to be logged in to see the real price on these. Helidirect has the gear sets, but they sell the servos for almost twice what HK sells them for. The metal gear version has more torque and less speed and so needs to be ran at 6v to be fast enough.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...g_0_10sec.html

These are relabeled Henge MG933 servos and are said to be fairly good. The gear sets are available a few places (I can't recall where I saw them) They usually sell from US vendors for about twice what HK sells them for.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._0_10sec_.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...g_0_10sec.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...g_0_14sec.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...g_0_14sec.html

The Corona 929 / Corona 939 (same servo, different gear set) and their relabeled HK counterparts are the best of the ultra cheap servos and the only ones I would trust in a high vibration environment like a helicopter. (they have good wiring and soldering) They have some gear backlash, and the resolution is only decent compared to better servos. There are no replacement gears available (and the main output gear is press fit onto the pot shaft so you can't replace it anyway) so you just toss them and replace if they strip or when the gears wear too much. They are so cheap it would probably cost as much as a new servo just for the gear set anyway.

The tabs on the 929 and the 939 are brittle and you should take precautions to prevent them from cracking. In my old beater HK450GT (SEv2 clone) I epoxied some of these to the tabs to reenforce them.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ing_Parts.html

I glued them on to the servo tab between the frame and the tab with the raised cylindrical bit pointing into the screw hole (in the tab not the frame). The problem was that because of the raised bits on the top of the tabs they weren't flush with the frame so they would bend and eventually crack. By gluing this plastic piece to the tab it prevented this from happening.

Depending on how your servos are mounted you'll have to change which side of the tab you glue the plastic bit to.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Last edited by Atomic Skull; Jan 21, 2013 at 11:41 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:22 AM
Texas NewB
United States, MD, Princess Anne
Joined Dec 2011
916 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
Yeah, for sure, but it should have been right from the factory. That's why I bought it, oh well. Another $100 down the drain. I really could have bought something nice that works by now. No more cheap RTF's for me. They are a waste of time.
I'f I remember I told you that you needed to take it apart and go threw that bird from the start.
RTF Realy only means it comes with every thing needed to fly!
Now your going to think you can get a perficly built Helicopter for less then $300 and not have to fix something?
If you wanted a true RTF that you dont have to fix to fly should have got a Blade 450.
I have gotten 2 RTF birds one I stell fly that is my Scale 450 and the other was my 500 I just sold Both where taken apart and reassembled Before I ever tried to fly them.
Both turned out to fly greate and i well buy another,
Black_heart is online now Find More Posts by Black_heart
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:08 AM
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
5,151 Posts
Quote:
What radio are you using? Like black heart said , their not RTF , more like RTCrash .
Post up a video of what it's doing and show us the radio settings , we an probably help.
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:23 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_heart View Post
I'f I remember I told you that you needed to take it apart and go threw that bird from the start.
RTF Realy only means it comes with every thing needed to fly!
Now your going to think you can get a perficly built Helicopter for less then $300 and not have to fix something?
If you wanted a true RTF that you dont have to fix to fly should have got a Blade 450.
I have gotten 2 RTF birds one I stell fly that is my Scale 450 and the other was my 500 I just sold Both where taken apart and reassembled Before I ever tried to fly them.
Both turned out to fly greate and i well buy another,
I went through the heli thoroughly beforehand. It should have flown. It did stable hover for a short time so something was right. The issue was control authority and I could not see that on the ground. There are dozens of people here and on you tube that fly these things out of the box as well as many more similar RTF's. I saw a vid the other day of some new guy flying a King 4 and that can't be an easy bird to fly. Mine is still in it's box (it was a gift). I see no reason to try to fly it. I have built a 450 from a kit before, that one does not fly either. Tail servo is very delayed in movement and tail will not hold connected to gyro.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 04:21 PM
I can fly!
Australia, TAS, East Launceston
Joined Aug 2010
84 Posts
Quote:
I went through the heli thoroughly beforehand. It should have flown. It did stable hover for a short time so something was right. The issue was control authority and I could not see that on the ground. There are dozens of people here and on you tube that fly these things out of the box as well as many more similar RTF's. I saw a vid the other day of some new guy flying a King 4 and that can't be an easy bird to fly. Mine is still in it's box (it was a gift). I see no reason to try to fly it. I have built a 450 from a kit before, that one does not fly either. Tail servo is very delayed in movement and tail will not hold connected to gyro.
I would recommend to go back to the basics with the mechanical setup. Disconnect the motor and watch the movement of the head components to make sure all the travels are correct and no binding, a good drop if oil or a silicone spray won't hurt. I am also a noob and thought my setup was great but after a rebuild I found my pitch slider set wrong which threw out the pitch setting completely. My point is I picked this problem up by looking at the movement of the head components.

I also do a preflight check every time before I fly. That is move all control surfaces and make sure they respond in the right direction.

Also my heli would not get any tail authority until the head speed was up. Make sure the tail blades are spinning the right way.

Good luck, don't get degected when you get it running right it will all be worth it.
dceng888 is offline Find More Posts by dceng888
Last edited by dceng888; Jan 22, 2013 at 04:30 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:52 AM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Dec 2008
519 Posts
miracle mart : excellent service

Hi guys.
I thought I'd give a heads up for Miracle Mart

Not only are their Tarot 450 Flybarless the cheapest price I could find anywhere, the heli arrived in NZ in 7 days on the cheapest shipping option !!!
I was nervous buying from them as cheapest sometimes could mean bad service.
But pleasantly surprised , well dome Miricle Mart.

If that was HobbyKing it would still be sitting in a warehouse somewhere after a week.

Of course now that this new heli arrived, my crappy old heli is getting more reliable.
2 full 5minute flights with no issues,a 1st ever
1101 is offline Find More Posts by 1101
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:03 AM
A&P in training
United States, CA, Vacaville
Joined Dec 2008
1,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
Hi guys.

If that was HobbyKing it would still be sitting in a warehouse somewhere after a week.

As is my case right now

I wish I would have known about that website before! They sure do have some very reasonable looking prices along with free shipping..May be going through them from now on..Thanks for the heads up!
ASTREA1 is offline Find More Posts by ASTREA1
Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:07 AM
Yes, I know it's upside down.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
3,310 Posts
Quote:
I went through the heli thoroughly beforehand. It should have flown.
I have built a 450 from a kit before, that one does not fly either. Tail servo is very delayed in movement and tail will not hold connected to gyro.
Do you know any experienced heli pilots? I think you need to get someone experienced to check your set up, test fly it and tune it.
Harrow is offline Find More Posts by Harrow
Old Jan 24, 2013, 03:03 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,698 Posts
Yeah there is one at our field, but he has way high end stuff. I think I met another rcgroups member nearby who has heli experience. I'll have to ask him.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 03:16 AM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,710 Posts
You could post pictures here - since a picture is often worth a thousand words. It can be pretty disheartening being a lone hand and trying to learn helis, and armed with a humble clone, I can understand your reluctance to approach the local hotshot stick banger. Don't give up, and when you get it right, I'm sure you'll enjoy it!
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Jan 24, 2013, 04:02 PM
Arducopter Developer
Joined Oct 2010
2,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellysmack View Post
In time you will find the wind a challenge.

The biggest trouble with wind and flying is coming in for a landing, up high you surf it but coming in slow 3 or 4 feet the wind could drop out from under it.

Back when I was concerned with wind I would strap on the training gear and practice hovering tail in, sideways and nose depending on how windy.
just keep it low, an if you have some kind of wind block helps too.
Must get that adrenaline rush / fix.
Wind no longer a problem with Arducopter. Winds were blowing 30-40 km/h

Arducopter 2.9 Testing (3 min 53 sec)

Well, just watch out for that tree!
R_Lefebvre is online now Find More Posts by R_Lefebvre
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:18 PM
A&P in training
United States, CA, Vacaville
Joined Dec 2008
1,260 Posts
Oh no! That scared me, wasn't expecting a greeting with the tree there!
ASTREA1 is offline Find More Posts by ASTREA1
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:46 PM
Arducopter Developer
Joined Oct 2010
2,174 Posts
Neither was I!

Mostly a bummer because I wrecked the Spinblades so I can't test them anymore.

I did get 4 flights in, and was not impressed. Basically zero increase in endurance. I still had to try lowering the head speed, but I was told they get some benefit, even at full speed.
R_Lefebvre is online now Find More Posts by R_Lefebvre
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:25 PM
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
5,151 Posts
Very impressive !!! I hate when the trees just jump out at me too
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo