HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:02 PM
Registered User
Atomic Skull's Avatar
Joined Dec 2011
3,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnorth View Post
----------------------------------------------------------
Cylic Servos - HXT900 - $2.69 Each - (3 Servos) - HK USA
If you are going with these get spare gears and a few spares servos.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:15 PM
Registered User
Atomic Skull's Avatar
Joined Dec 2011
3,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidlat View Post
What's the feedback on the HK-450TT PRO V2 Flybarless 3D Torque-Tube Helicopter Kit? Any parts that need to be replaced? I'm thinking of selling my 450 V2 frame that flies like a dream and I have no problems at all so I can buy the HK Pro TT. Is it worth it?
If your existing helicopter flies well why not just upgrade it to FBL? Here is a cheap head that works well.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=12941

There's a video series on Youtube that covers building it, just search for "RJX Clone" I've been using it on my 450 Sport and it works great and is just as good as the real RJX head.

HK-450GT Flybarless Conversion - pt 1 - Introduction (6 min 18 sec)


I'd also recommend buying a pack of extra blade grip bearings (about $1.25 from HK, it uses the same 4x8x3 bearings as the standard Pro blade grips) a set of genuine RJX plastic radius arms (about $2) and the head stopper (doesn't come with the head, costs about $3).

Also this head used to not come with the 2x3.5x0.2 washers needed to go between the bearings in the arms but supposedly it now comes with these (without these washers the arms will bind if the screw is tightened). The only sticking point is that care must be taken getting the bearings into the arms, one side goes in easily, the other needs to be pressed in carefully with a vice or a clamp (a piece of dense plastic to protect the bearing and a C-clamp will work for this)

I would also recommend using a longer screw than is provided for the swash driver arms (which is shorter than what comes with the real RJX head). I use an 18mm screw and put a nut on the other side of the headblock.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Last edited by Atomic Skull; Nov 14, 2012 at 08:22 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:17 PM
Registered User
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Nov 2004
186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Border Lord View Post
Hi Richard

Your list looks fine, just a couple of thoughts.
First of all, you will need a pinion to go with that motor. I would start with 13 tooth but since they are so cheap, I would get a 12 tooth as well.
We will go into setting up later, but best is to have your hover point at about 70% throttle. The 13t should achieve this, but best to have an option.
One thing to be careful of when buying your pinions. A lot of motors are coming out now with 3.5mm shaft and pinions to match.
Your HK motor has a 3.17 (1/8" in proper money) shaft. Make sure you order the right one.

Speed controller.
The Hobbywing Pentium and the HK plush are the same thing.
You will also see the Hobbywing labelled as Fentium, and Fly Fun.
These are all the same, they had to change the Pentium name because of a conflict with a computer chip of the same name.
I have generally bought mine from wherever is cheaper, and never had a problem. Never even knew there were different versions until someone pointed it out.
The e-bay one you linked to is from HobbyCool, which is a proper shop, so I think you will be ok with that one.
Out of interest, you have not given a choice of gyro, but the Hobbymate HB790, which would be a very good choice, also comes from HobbyCool, with free shipping.
Can't see their site now, seems to be hijacked by a site selling knockoff Laboutin boots.
However, before it went out, I spotted a Hobbywing 40a at $14.30, cheaper than your e-bay one.
Give them a call, if you buy both see if they will give you free shipping on the two.
One aside, you will see a Hobbywing Platinum as well. Very good esc, but more expensive, more advanced than you need, and the Pentium prog box will not work. Stick with the Pentium.

Cyclic and tail servos, no argument from me, fine choice.
I know the HXT900 gears are dirt cheap, but so are the servos themselves.
At $2.69 each, grab yourself a spare.

Finally, Gorilla gear.
Never used them myself, but they seem like a good idea. They do do for 450 size

http://www.readyheli.com/MSH51300-Go...e_p_35641.html

BTW, the heli they have it fitted to is a very early, first generation Trex 450X.
Anybody remember them?

May I offer another idea?

when I get to fly my Pro, I can only do so from a field they mow once a year.
The grass gets so long that my poor little Pro disappears. Having taken the tail apart once too often to unwind the grass, I spotted an idea on one of the forums to use a 500 size u/c.
I got one, this from a Gootch 500, but with the narrow Pro frame, it looked very odd. No problem, out with the Dremel, cut a lump out the middle and rejoined.
End result, I think, looks cute, but the main thing is, being a 500 size the skids are farther apart, giving a more stable base.
Not sure about its crash resistance, but it is stronger, and being higher, should give you a better chance.
Never tried it, but my guess would be, with the wider GT frame, no mods would be needed.
When Photobucket decides to stop playing around I will upload a piccy.

Few things to think about

Jeff
Jeff,
Today is November 14, 2012 and this is my present list of components for my
new 450 heli. Let me know what you think. Also, thanks for your input on
the chargers. There are so many of them on the market that it blows my mind sometimes.

HK 450GT CCPP All Aloy Kit
Turnigy Typhoon 450H 2215H Motor 3550 KV
Gyro - Hobbymate HB790
MKS DS480 - Tail Servo
Cylic Servos - HXT900
13 & 12 tooth pinions to fit motor
I have DX7, receiver, and Lipos
rnorth is offline Find More Posts by rnorth
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:16 PM
No Longer Active
pitchp's Avatar
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnorth View Post
Jeff,
Today is November 14, 2012 and this is my present list of components for my
new 450 heli. Let me know what you think. Also, thanks for your input on
the chargers. There are so many of them on the market that it blows my mind sometimes.

HK 450GT CCPP All Aloy Kit
Turnigy Typhoon 450H 2215H Motor 3550 KV
Gyro - Hobbymate HB790
MKS DS480 - Tail Servo
Cylic Servos - HXT900
13 & 12 tooth pinions to fit motor
I have DX7, receiver, and Lipos

looks good let us know how you go!
pitchp is offline Find More Posts by pitchp
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:53 PM
Registered User
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Nov 2004
186 Posts
Will do
rnorth is offline Find More Posts by rnorth
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:04 PM
Registered User
Atomic Skull's Avatar
Joined Dec 2011
3,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Border Lord View Post
Those are not the same as the Plush 40A. The "soft start" is about 2 seconds long and it caught fire on spoolup on my 4S 450 sport after a few flights. One of the FETs under the heat sink had exploded and started burning. The startup music's notes also sounded "coarse" compared to the Plush and were in a lower octave.

It also had a heatsink on both sides of the board unlike my Plush 40A that has it on one side only. Maybe they are an earlier revision, but whatever the case they aren't the same and aren't the same quality.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:19 PM
Registered User
Atomic Skull's Avatar
Joined Dec 2011
3,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Border Lord View Post

Finally, Gorilla gear.
Never used them myself, but they seem like a good idea. They do do for 450 size

http://www.readyheli.com/MSH51300-Go...e_p_35641.html

BTW, the heli they have it fitted to is a very early, first generation Trex 450X.
Anybody remember them?

May I offer another idea?

when I get to fly my Pro, I can only do so from a field they mow once a year.
The grass gets so long that my poor little Pro disappears. Having taken the tail apart once too often to unwind the grass, I spotted an idea on one of the forums to use a 500 size u/c.
I got one, this from a Gootch 500, but with the narrow Pro frame, it looked very odd. No problem, out with the Dremel, cut a lump out the middle and rejoined.
End result, I think, looks cute, but the main thing is, being a 500 size the skids are farther apart, giving a more stable base.
Not sure about its crash resistance, but it is stronger, and being higher, should give you a better chance.
Never tried it, but my guess would be, with the wider GT frame, no mods would be needed.
When Photobucket decides to stop playing around I will upload a piccy.

Few things to think about

Jeff
The advantage of Gorilla Gear is that it doesn't break, it just bends and (mostly, you can fix it with boiling water) springs back. So the common occurrence in a crash where the gear breaks and the helicopter goes over on it's side and starts breakdancing doesn't happen. Nor do the pieces of broken gear fly up into your blades destroying them, nor to the pieces of broken gear hitting the blades become deadly missiles.

I had my 500 loose it's tail 30 feet up and had to hit throttle hold and pray. The piro comp on the Robird managed to keep it level as it fell and it came down straight onto the gear. The only damage was a cracked finish on the canopy, bent mainshaft, bent feathering shaft, bent pitch control arm on a blade grip (replacable, grip was fine) and cracked Fusuno tailfin. Without the gorilla gear I probably would have had a broken frame or worse. Amazingly even the mainshaft bearings were fine (blade grip bearings were trashed though)


If you get a cracked canopy put some clear tape over any major cracks through the FG and then apply a few coats of krylon clear gloss to seal it all up. It won't be perfect but you can still use it as a beater canopy. You can also stop minor cracks in the finish from getting worse by painting it over them. Spray some onto a paper plate and apply it to the crack with a small brush.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Last edited by Atomic Skull; Nov 14, 2012 at 10:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:56 AM
3D VFX Artist
tonyastro's Avatar
USA, CA, Monrovia
Joined Jan 2008
2,042 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post
If your existing helicopter flies well why not just upgrade it to FBL? Here is a cheap head that works well.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=12941

There's a video series on Youtube that covers building it, just search for "RJX Clone" I've been using it on my 450 Sport and it works great and is just as good as the real RJX head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGpRU...feature=relmfu

I'd also recommend buying a pack of extra blade grip bearings (about $1.25 from HK, it uses the same 4x8x3 bearings as the standard Pro blade grips) a set of genuine RJX plastic radius arms (about $2) and the head stopper (doesn't come with the head, costs about $3).

Also this head used to not come with the 2x3.5x0.2 washers needed to go between the bearings in the arms but supposedly it now comes with these (without these washers the arms will bind if the screw is tightened). The only sticking point is that care must be taken getting the bearings into the arms, one side goes in easily, the other needs to be pressed in carefully with a vice or a clamp (a piece of dense plastic to protect the bearing and a C-clamp will work for this)
Is the V2 convertible to Pro?
tonyastro is offline Find More Posts by tonyastro
Last edited by tonyastro; Nov 15, 2012 at 10:59 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:45 AM
Registered User
mhills51's Avatar
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
11,840 Posts
This is cheap and in the states to get you a pro. http://www.valuehobby.com/helicopter...ue-tube-1.html
mhills51 is online now Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:21 AM
just gotta mess with it!
2Doggs's Avatar
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,599 Posts
I just discovered Value Hobby recently, and bought some Tarot helical gears for less than HK charge for them, and some helical pinions that HK don't do, along with a metal canopy clip, Tarot forked tail mechanism and other bits and bobs. It's great to have a low cost US store, and they ship pretty quickly at a fair price. Long live Value Hobby!
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:03 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2011
120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
This is cheap and in the states to get you a pro. http://www.valuehobby.com/helicopter...ue-tube-1.html
Thanks. Is this better quality than the HK 450 FBL Pro? I can get this for $53 from the US warehouse.
kidlat is offline Find More Posts by kidlat
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:20 PM
Registered User
mhills51's Avatar
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
11,840 Posts
Wow Hk shows it for $69

Value kits were made by KEEP. I got a keep pro FB and it's quality was close to Align. It went threw five crashes only needing links, main, feathering shaft, and flybar. I only stopped using it when I went to FBL. It had all good bearings and screws.
mhills51 is online now Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:25 PM
just gotta mess with it!
2Doggs's Avatar
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidlat View Post
Thanks. Is this better quality than the HK 450 FBL Pro? I can get this for $53 from the US warehouse.
That's a great price, and it will have the FBL head - though the canopy will be the drab HK red and silver plastic one. The 500 and 550 FBL kits are reckoned to be a step up in quality for HK, so maybe that's also the case for the 450 FBL.
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:34 PM
Mildly Confused
Paul 1968's Avatar
UK
Joined Oct 2008
1,375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs View Post
That's a great price, and it will have the FBL head - though the canopy will be the drab HK red and silver plastic one. The 500 and 550 FBL kits are reckoned to be a step up in quality for HK, so maybe that's also the case for the 450 FBL.
Well I have the 450 FBL and I reckon it's great. Still flying with the drab plastic canopy but it's holding up very well. I have beaten the snot out of it and it's still stock! Here it is with my 500 and 550 FBL's.
Paul 1968 is offline Find More Posts by Paul 1968
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:41 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2011
120 Posts
Thanks guys. I'm getting the HK just cause it's already FBL. Valuehobby is the only place in the world that still has Pro canopies in stock!
kidlat is offline Find More Posts by kidlat
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion 450 HK with Futaba EX radio and 3114 FASST servos SLOPPY? PaulGT3 Mini Helis 9 Sep 02, 2013 05:10 PM
Sold HK 450 head/tail/frame/canopy/motor - $20 shipped RobDog Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 5 Nov 09, 2010 10:07 AM
Discussion Vendo HK 450 com Radio HK 7canais baratoooo !!! nino_sdk Brazil 0 Jul 26, 2010 08:42 PM
For Sale hk 450, exi 450 or copterx 450 HeliStyle Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 5 May 15, 2010 11:57 AM
Help! HK 450 or HK 600 kilo2018 Beginner Training Area (Heli-Electric) 21 Feb 25, 2010 12:48 PM