HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:43 AM
South London United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2003
1,152 Posts
Hi Richard

Look forward to hearing from you.
Meanwhile, just a thought on chargers. I notice you are planning on an icharger.There are quite a range, but I assume the 106B.
Never used one, but looking at the specs, I wonder if it might be a little overkill.
I read up to 10a charge rate and up to 6s packs.
For your immediate needs, you need only 3s and 2a charge.
If you are not totally sold on the icharger, could I suggest an alternative.
Some time ago, I bought one of these

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...cessories.html

Have to admit, I bought it second hand off e-bay, but it has been ultra reliable for everything I want it for.
In fact, I still use it now, despite my being so impressed I bought its bigger brother

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...r_Charger.html

Best thing is it is about 1/3 the price of the icharger.
Worth a thought if you are on a budget.

Cheers

jeff
Border Lord is offline Find More Posts by Border Lord
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:06 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,659 Posts
Earlier he posted
Snip

Quote:
Hobbico Accu-cycle Charger - 2Amp max
(Getting ready to move up to an icharger soon)
thus he allready has a 2A charger but perhaps like me he wants the ability to charge at greater than 1C and / or he wishes to do parallel charging.

I have chaarged many LiPolys at 3C and greater for well over six years now and some up to 12C. I rarlely charge any LiPoly except for a brand new one at less than 3C. Sometimes I charge up to 6ea. in parallel 3S 2200 at 40amps. total or 3 C .

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:07 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2011
120 Posts
Anybody have a buddy code for HK-450TT PRO V2 Flybarless 3D Torque-Tube Helicopter Kit (USA Warehouse)?
I saw one earlier this week but can't find it.

(edit) never mind. found it.
kidlat is offline Find More Posts by kidlat
Last edited by kidlat; Nov 14, 2012 at 01:15 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:22 PM
Joined Jun 2003
1,152 Posts
Hi Richard

Your list looks fine, just a couple of thoughts.
First of all, you will need a pinion to go with that motor. I would start with 13 tooth but since they are so cheap, I would get a 12 tooth as well.
We will go into setting up later, but best is to have your hover point at about 70% throttle. The 13t should achieve this, but best to have an option.
One thing to be careful of when buying your pinions. A lot of motors are coming out now with 3.5mm shaft and pinions to match.
Your HK motor has a 3.17 (1/8" in proper money) shaft. Make sure you order the right one.

Speed controller.
The Hobbywing Pentium and the HK plush are the same thing.
You will also see the Hobbywing labelled as Fentium, and Fly Fun.
These are all the same, they had to change the Pentium name because of a conflict with a computer chip of the same name.
I have generally bought mine from wherever is cheaper, and never had a problem. Never even knew there were different versions until someone pointed it out.
The e-bay one you linked to is from HobbyCool, which is a proper shop, so I think you will be ok with that one.
Out of interest, you have not given a choice of gyro, but the Hobbymate HB790, which would be a very good choice, also comes from HobbyCool, with free shipping.
Can't see their site now, seems to be hijacked by a site selling knockoff Laboutin boots.
However, before it went out, I spotted a Hobbywing 40a at $14.30, cheaper than your e-bay one.
Give them a call, if you buy both see if they will give you free shipping on the two.
One aside, you will see a Hobbywing Platinum as well. Very good esc, but more expensive, more advanced than you need, and the Pentium prog box will not work. Stick with the Pentium.

Cyclic and tail servos, no argument from me, fine choice.
I know the HXT900 gears are dirt cheap, but so are the servos themselves.
At $2.69 each, grab yourself a spare.

Finally, Gorilla gear.
Never used them myself, but they seem like a good idea. They do do for 450 size

http://www.readyheli.com/MSH51300-Go...e_p_35641.html

BTW, the heli they have it fitted to is a very early, first generation Trex 450X.
Anybody remember them?

May I offer another idea?

when I get to fly my Pro, I can only do so from a field they mow once a year.
The grass gets so long that my poor little Pro disappears. Having taken the tail apart once too often to unwind the grass, I spotted an idea on one of the forums to use a 500 size u/c.
I got one, this from a Gootch 500, but with the narrow Pro frame, it looked very odd. No problem, out with the Dremel, cut a lump out the middle and rejoined.
End result, I think, looks cute, but the main thing is, being a 500 size the skids are farther apart, giving a more stable base.
Not sure about its crash resistance, but it is stronger, and being higher, should give you a better chance.
Never tried it, but my guess would be, with the wider GT frame, no mods would be needed.
When Photobucket decides to stop playing around I will upload a piccy.

Few things to think about

Jeff
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:26 PM
Joined Jun 2003
1,152 Posts
Found it

http://www.hobbycool.com/hobbywing-p...v3a-p-653.html

Plus this

http://www.hobbycool.com/hobbymate-h...yro-p-123.html

Time to do a deal

Jeff
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:30 PM
Joined Jun 2003
1,152 Posts
On a roll here, HK450Pro with modded Gooch 500 u/c

Jeff
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:57 PM
Joined Aug 2011
120 Posts
What's the feedback on the HK-450TT PRO V2 Flybarless 3D Torque-Tube Helicopter Kit? Any parts that need to be replaced? I'm thinking of selling my 450 V2 frame that flies like a dream and I have no problems at all so I can buy the HK Pro TT. Is it worth it?
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:15 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,653 Posts
I think it's pretty good. The TT gears are reportedly made from softer or weaker plastic than the Align ones.

On my HK 450 Pro, I use an Align mainshaft and feathering spindle, tail rotor shaft and auto drive gear. I think HK maingears have improved, and you can also buy Tarot versions of the helical maingears and pinions from the likes of Value Hobby for a fraction of the cost of Align parts.
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:40 PM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Nov 2004
186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Border Lord View Post
Jeff,
When I try to open these up they stall and don't open. It searches for viglink.????
rnorth is offline Find More Posts by rnorth
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:50 PM
Joined Aug 2011
120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs View Post
I think it's pretty good. The TT gears are reportedly made from softer or weaker plastic than the Align ones.

On my HK 450 Pro, I use an Align mainshaft and feathering spindle, tail rotor shaft and auto drive gear. I think HK maingears have improved, and you can also buy Tarot versions of the helical maingears and pinions from the likes of Value Hobby for a fraction of the cost of Align parts.
Thanks. Is the boom mount metal? Anti rotation bracket? Can't tell from the pics.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:51 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,653 Posts
I think the Hobbycool site must be down at the moment. The links worked for me earlier.
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:58 PM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Nov 2004
186 Posts
Quote:
Hi Richard

Look forward to hearing from you.
Meanwhile, just a thought on chargers. I notice you are planning on an icharger.There are quite a range, but I assume the 106B.
Never used one, but looking at the specs, I wonder if it might be a little overkill.
I read up to 10a charge rate and up to 6s packs.
For your immediate needs, you need only 3s and 2a charge.
If you are not totally sold on the icharger, could I suggest an alternative.
Some time ago, I bought one of these

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...cessories.html

Have to admit, I bought it second hand off e-bay, but it has been ultra reliable for everything I want it for.
In fact, I still use it now, despite my being so impressed I bought its bigger brother

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...r_Charger.html

Best thing is it is about 1/3 the price of the icharger.
Worth a thought if you are on a budget.

Cheers

jeff
Jeff,
I do have some planes that take 4s 3000 mah. (I know your charger will do 8s
I believe) How fast would your charger charge one of my 4s 3000. I guess it depends on how many C you charge it at.
What kind of power supply do you use?

Richard
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:37 PM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Nov 2004
186 Posts
450 Combo

Jeff,
Is this combo anything worth looking at?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Free-Ship-Ho...item23240fbef6

Richard
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:54 PM
ragwood rune
Rigby, Idaho
Joined Nov 2007
249 Posts
Quote:
fathallah2

My information is that the 7cap is an aircraft radio, so is not suitable for a helicopter.
What you need is a 7chp.
Could you check what you have and post back?

Jeff
Both 7CAP and 7CHP have programing for helis as well as glider and acro settings. The only difference between the two models is the 7CAP has a ratcheted throttle and the 7CHP does not.

As far as programing for helis, the setup is basically the same as the JR Spectrum radios. There are a few menu differences, but the owners manual has enough info to get through any differences. The most difficult setting is the gyro. I found the Futaba much easier to program than the Spectrum.

FWIW I could share my settings but, my programing is set up for my electronics and flying style and would not necessarily translate to your electronics or flying style. The best thing is to go through the Finless Bob videos. They will get you close enough to get airborne. Then you can tweak from there.

note: I find it inappropriate to call out or link to other forum groups, so I will not do so. However a google search on Finless Bob will get results.
nscradar is offline Find More Posts by nscradar
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:55 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,152 Posts
Quote:
fathallah2

My information is that the 7cap is an aircraft radio, so is not suitable for a helicopter.
What you need is a 7chp.
Could you check what you have and post back?

Jeff
The only difference is that the 7chp has a smooth throttle gimbal and the 7cap has a ratcheted gimbal which plankers seem to like for some reason that I don't understand.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull