HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 02, 2012, 05:50 AM
rcflyer
UK
Joined Jun 2010
846 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
That servo mount is just like the others that break. The best I found is just the standard plastic or if you want metal it will cost you in weight.
Nice tip, thanks. However I need to fit a mini servo mks95. Will that work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeInMyrtleBch View Post
I've got one coming in on Tuesday of next week. I'm installing a Henge 922MG. I'll let you know how it goes.
Keep me posted!

Thanks
rcjim11 is offline Find More Posts by rcjim11
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2012, 06:18 AM
No Longer Active
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjim11 View Post
Do flybarless blades work on fb?

Cheers
Jim

not recommended but fb blades works with FBL
pitchp is offline Find More Posts by pitchp
Old Nov 02, 2012, 07:15 AM
Yes, I know it's upside down.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
3,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchp View Post
not recommended but fb blades works with FBL
Hmm, sure about that?

FBL blades just have slightly more lead weight added to the tips than the FB blades. This helps add a little stability when you don't have a flybar, making the FBL controllers job a little easier.

No problem at all to use FBL blades on flybarred heli, all it does is make it more stable. In fact, it is often recommended by the blade manufacturer if you want smoother precision flight, but will slow down cyclic response for 3D flight.

Also, FBL blades will give you more pop due to the additional rotational inertia.

Anyway, don't just trust me, see what a leading manufacturer has to say...

"Edge 523mm Premium CF Blades - Flybarless Version!

EDGE high performance CF rotor blades are new premium blades that have been specifically designed for today's model helicopters. EDGE rotor blades have been optimized for use with today's light weight, high powered models with increased cyclic pitch. While these blades are ideal for aggressive Flybarless 3D performance, they can also be used for more precision FAI & FC3 flying on traditional flybar machines.

Flybarless Edge blades may be flown on flybarred helicopters for a smoother and less aggressive FAI style cyclic response."
Harrow is offline Find More Posts by Harrow
Old Nov 02, 2012, 07:22 AM
No Longer Active
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrow View Post
Hmm, sure about that?

FBL blades just have slightly more lead weight added to the tips than the FB blades. This helps add a little stability when you don't have a flybar, making the FBL controllers job a little easier.

No problem at all to use FBL blades on flybarred heli, all it does is make it more stable. In fact, it is often recommended by the blade manufacturer if you want smoother precision flight, but will slow down cyclic response for 3D flight.

Also, FBL blades will give you more pop due to the additional rotational inertia.

Anyway, don't just trust me, see what a leading manufacturer has to say...

"Edge 523mm Premium CF Blades - Flybarless Version!

EDGE high performance CF rotor blades are new premium blades that have been specifically designed for today's model helicopters. EDGE rotor blades have been optimized for use with today's light weight, high powered models with increased cyclic pitch. While these blades are ideal for aggressive Flybarless 3D performance, they can also be used for more precision FAI & FC3 flying on traditional flybar machines.

Flybarless Edge blades may be flown on flybarred helicopters for a smoother and less aggressive FAI style cyclic response."
THe FB blades gives you more pop on FB and FBL helis

FBL blades are designed for helis with no flybar due to this it's been strictly manufactured for FBL only. You get more precise movements out of this especially hard manouvers.

There's a video of a pro testing out the difference between FB and FBL blades and on how they perform on FB helis and FBL helis.

If i ever find it for you. I'll post it up for you. It's really informative as he walks you though each manouver and shows the differences in flight performance.

Note: edge don't mention about smackdown. FB blades perfect for smack down and hard manouvers FB blades can be used in FB helis and FBL helis

FBL blades are only designed for FBL helis.

EDGE Flybar VS Flybarless Rotor Blades www.ReadyHeli.com (1 min 9 sec)

mate this is not the video, but hopefully you get the drift

here it is

Edge Flybar Rotorblades on Flybarless RC Helicopters (6 min 2 sec)
Last edited by pitchp; Nov 02, 2012 at 07:47 AM.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 08:16 AM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,642 Posts
Quote:
Nice tip, thanks. However I need to fit a mini servo mks95. Will that work?

Keep me posted!

Thanks
Both of those are made for a mini servo. If you need to fit a micro servo everyone makes CF adapter plates for $2
mhills51 is online now Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 02, 2012, 11:40 AM
If it Works, You Better Fix It
North Idaho
Joined Feb 2011
720 Posts
Quote:
Does anyone know how this slides along?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...o%5FMount.html

Cheers
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
That servo mount is just like the others that break. The best I found is just the standard plastic or if you want metal it will cost you in weight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeInMyrtleBch View Post
I've got one coming in on Tuesday of next week. I'm installing a Henge 922MG. I'll let you know how it goes.
I bought two of those. The metal is much thicker than the thin silver ones that are flexy and break. They have gussets machined in too. The problem with the ones I bought was sloppy threading, frame screws wouldn't tighten at all and servo fit was very tight due to the mount being narrow. I drilled the frame and tapped one out to 3.0 mm, the other is still in the box. +1 mhills51 on the standard plastic servo mount and adapter plate if needed.

Happy Flying !!!

Bill S.
VelocityRC is offline Find More Posts by VelocityRC
Last edited by VelocityRC; Nov 02, 2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 11:55 AM
rcflyer
UK
Joined Jun 2010
846 Posts
Do you have a link to the plastic mount and adaptor?

Thanks
Old Nov 02, 2012, 11:56 AM
rcflyer
UK
Joined Jun 2010
846 Posts
Very interesting on the biology of the fbl blades. I did hear that people liked the hobby cool cf blades did I not?
Old Nov 02, 2012, 05:18 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
3,312 Posts
Quote:
FBL blades are only designed for FBL helis.
Yes, they are designed for FBL to help add mechanical stability that is normally added by the flybar, but it's fine to use them on a flybar heli if you want a more stable and precise, less aggressive flying style. The manufacturer EDGE actually says that about their own FBL blades. (See quote in my previous post.)

I've read a lost of post about guys giving their opinion on which blades they prefer, and how those blades performed. They often will talk about how agressive the blades are, and how much 'pop' the blades give. I then go and look up the specs of the blades they are talking about, and their comments almost always consistently align with the following two points: the lighter blades are more aggressive, the heavier blades give more 'pop', regardless of whether the blades are designated as FBL or FB by the manufacturer.

Interesting to see how much weight the different manufacturers add.

Align 325D (FB) 20g each
Align 325D 3G (FBL) 23g each

Edge FB 21g each
Edge FBL 24g each
Last edited by Harrow; Nov 02, 2012 at 06:17 PM.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 05:29 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
3,312 Posts
Quote:
There's a video of a pro testing out the difference between FB and FBL blades and on how they perform on FB helis and FBL helis.
pitchp, you trying to mess with my head?

The first video you posted said the FBL blades had more weight added. The second video you posted said the FBL blades are more stable, and the FB blades are more aggressive. Exactly what I said in my first post.

Hey, when are you coming up north next? We need to have a our own little fly-in together. Let me know, it'd be real cool to get together.
Last edited by Harrow; Nov 02, 2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 06:08 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,642 Posts
Quote:
Do you have a link to the plastic mount and adaptor?

Thanks
Well the plastic you can get anywhere they sell Align parts the adapter in the states is a little more http://tarot-rc-heli.com/Servos/450-...OR-PLATE-HENGE but you can get them over seas for around $2 http://www.oomodel.com/rudder-servo-...7-p-60939.html

http://www.oomodel.com/fuselage-part...1-p-60938.html
mhills51 is online now Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 02, 2012, 08:20 PM
No Longer Active
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrow View Post
pitchp, you trying to mess with my head?

The first video you posted said the FBL blades had more weight added. The second video you posted said the FBL blades are more stable, and the FB blades are more aggressive. Exactly what I said in my first post!

Hey, when are you coming up north next? We need to have a our own little fly-in together. Let me know, it'd be real cool to get together.
Bud, I'm thinking of moving further up north (Cairns or Goldcoast). I'm over the melbourne weather (always windy and cold). Have you been to cairns??
Old Nov 02, 2012, 09:09 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
3,312 Posts
Quote:
Bud, I'm thinking of moving further up north (Cairns or Goldcoast). I'm over the melbourne weather (always windy and cold). Have you been to cairns??
It's been 37 years since I was last in Cairns, so I'm guessing it's a changed a little since then. My sister used to live in Townsville, not as far north as Cairns, but damn it was HOT!! I guess you get used to it though as I remember her husband putting on a jumper because it was a chilly 26 deg C, LOL. I have a brother on the tweed coast, the weather there is perfect if you can find yourself a job. Anywhere on the Sushine coast would be hard to beat.
Last edited by Harrow; Nov 02, 2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 09:38 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,320 Posts
Quote:
Anyone here have the Tarot ZYX and the hobbyking Robird G31?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ss_System.html

what is the difference between the 2? and is the robird any good? I heard some reports of a tail bounce on the 450
I think the tail bounce on the Robird might have been caused by the brake setting being reversed when you reverse the gyro direction (basically you have to set it backwards if you reverse the tail servo). However I'm not going to move it back to the 450 just to find out.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Old Nov 02, 2012, 09:43 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHRC View Post
PP,

The Robird is very good - I find it better than the ZYX - it just worked out of the box. There are less options for tuning, but they are simpler as well if you don't fully understand PID controls (which I don't)

Cheers,
Mike.
The options are much more intuitive because they do things that make sense to normal human beings. Stop controls how fast the helicopter stops rolling, Agility is how much direct control input there is into the swashplate (as opposed to gyro input, decreasing it makes it more stable but less agile), Rate is how fast the roll rate is, etc.

Most of the setup videos on Youtube are now wrong because they changed the setup software quite a bit recently. But it's not hard to figure out (main change is that the subtrim was moved to the collective pitch menu and there is now subtrim for min and max collective as well as center)
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull