HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 21, 2012, 05:06 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,554 Posts
Quote:
Using analog servos on a helicopter is unappealing, especially a flybarless one.
Why is that ? I know some FBL units require all digitials but most let you select all analog all digitial or mixed.

I have a B400 with ZYX , HS 65 MG (analogs) on the cyclic and a HS5084 digital on the tail . Next up I have a B450 with Copter X -1000 FBL unit with HS 5065 (digitials) on the cyclic and a Align DS420(digital) on the tail.

Both fly super fine IMO. I am not a 3D heli pilot however both of these fly so much better, more solid,stable than any other helis I have flown in the past that it almost seems unreal flying either of them.

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2012, 06:03 AM
rcflyer
UK
Joined Jun 2010
843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrow View Post
Impressive specs! Here's another option
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14279
Hey, those look good. How about three of them on cyclic and one 306G on tail with Spartan Quark? HK 450GT Pro.

Jim
rcjim11 is online now Find More Posts by rcjim11
Old Oct 21, 2012, 06:15 AM
Yes, I know it's upside down.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
3,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjim11 View Post
Hey, those look good. How about three of them on cyclic and one 306G on tail with Spartan Quark? HK 450GT Pro.

Jim
They're good for cyclic. I've been using them for a couple of years now and am very happy with them. Good performance for low cost. Also works okay on the tail for scale flight, but not quite strong/fast enough to use on the tail for 3D. Can't comment on the 306G for the tail simply because I've never tried it. Quark gyro is great of course, and now cheaper than ever. Definitely worth getting if the cost doesn't bother you. I'd choose a tail servo based on what others have found to be good. It's one area worth spending money on.
Harrow is offline Find More Posts by Harrow
Old Oct 21, 2012, 06:35 AM
rcflyer
UK
Joined Jun 2010
843 Posts
Yes, I agree.
Will these measurements fit with no mods?
30x13x33.3mm

Cheers
Jim
rcjim11 is online now Find More Posts by rcjim11
Old Oct 21, 2012, 07:24 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaaarky21 View Post
That's an interesting combination. I didn't realize that any of the regular Phoenix line wasn't discontinued. The Phoenix/ParkBEC combination (36.2g) would save you 12g over a Phoenix Ice (48.2g) but for what it's worth to anyone who doesn't already have that setup...
- The 45 amp Phoenix is discontinued
- The two together are more expensive than a Phoenix Ice Lite 50
- The ParkBEC is a switching BEC (like the Phoenix Ice but unlike the regular Phoenix) but it's only rated for 1.25A and their site warns that it "cannot power multiple digital servos." Using analog servos on a helicopter is unappealing, especially a flybarless one.

The Phoenix Ice line also lets you pick your BEC output voltage between 5V and 7V in 0.1V increments.
I am still wary of the CC BEC design, using a micro to control the output voltage. I am sure they have it working now, but I read too many early reports of their BECs failing and taking out all the radio gear.

My old "plastic fantastic" HK450 has 3 x HS65HB analog servos. Not even sure the ICE series was available way back then.. The HS65 are nice smooth servos, and the plastic gear train has less slop than metal ones would.

My HK450 PRO (flybar) uses INOlabs digitals and a 3A HK switching BEC. Some might say 3A is too low, but again it passed my "wiggle test". I also have an Dimension Servo Sense that I use that shows the peak current was withing the limits of the BEC.

I think I bought both CC45s on here for way less than retail. Shame they are discontinued, they were just about the lightest 45 amp controller out there.

But using the ICE50 would simplify the wiring a bit.
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Oct 21, 2012, 08:23 AM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrow View Post
Impressive specs! Here's another option
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14279
I've used both the Henge 933's and the 922's. Although the 922's are supposed to be faster, they measured the same speed on the servo tester, and had a lot more gear slop than the 933's. I quite liked the 933's on my 450, and did maybe 150 flights with them before they perished in a crash with broken cases. The TGY 06's are in a different league - but also in a much higher price bracket and they're heavy. To be honest, if you're just starting out, I'd go for the Corona 929's.

Edit: @pmackenzie - that "servo sense" device looks like a great idea - pity it's discontinued. Do you know if there are any similar devices currently (excuse the pun!) available?
2Doggs is online now Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by 2Doggs; Oct 21, 2012 at 08:27 AM. Reason: servo sense makes sense
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:10 AM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
11,882 Posts
I use CC35's on all my 450's and have never had a issue. At least over 500 flights.
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 21, 2012, 12:14 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
11,882 Posts
I was just playing with one of the tail sections I have laying here from my 450 that crashed a little while back. The slider kept sticking. After looking close at it I noticed little scratches in the tail shaft. It seems small burs in the edge of the slider were cutting into the shaft. I took a philips screwdriver a tad larger than the hole and used it as a reamer. Put it back on and it is smooth as can be without sticking. Just maybe something to check while building and a trick to try before disaster strikes.
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 21, 2012, 12:33 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,554 Posts
Not Pat but here you go. I have used mine on new setups for years now and it works great. They even reduced the price a year or so ago so it is very resoanble IMO now.

http://www.xtremepowersystems.net/pr...hp?prod=XPS-TT

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Oct 21, 2012, 12:51 PM
Joined Dec 2002
16,551 Posts
The tattle tale is handy, but the servo sense measures current rather than voltage.
It also records peak, short term average and long term average.

Seems like a no-brainer that these would be more common, as it is everyone just throws bigger and bigger BECs on things hoping they won't get bitten.

I think many multimeters could be used to measure peak currents.
They just need a "max/min" function

http://dx.com/p/3-0-lcd-handheld-dig...109462&u=37082

Pat MacKenzie
Old Oct 21, 2012, 12:52 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
Not Pat but here you go. I have used mine on new setups for years now and it works great. They even reduced the price a year or so ago so it is very resoanble IMO now.

http://www.xtremepowersystems.net/pr...hp?prod=XPS-TT

Charles
Pity they don't do one that does voltage and current - it's the latter I'm more interested in, though you might be able to infer the current from the BEC voltage if you know the BEC characteristics under load.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Oct 21, 2012, 12:54 PM
Joined Dec 2002
16,551 Posts
Line regulation should be very good with a BEC.
Ideally the BEC would hold 5 volts till it shutdown.

Pat MacKenzie
Old Oct 21, 2012, 01:29 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
Line regulation should be very good with a BEC.
Ideally the BEC would hold 5 volts till it shutdown.

Pat MacKenzie
On the HK600 thread, I think it was Paul 1968 or Bionicbone reporting reduced BEC output voltage under load with a Turnigy UBEC. Not sure if the unit had begun to fail or if it was on the verge of shutdown.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Oct 21, 2012, 02:19 PM
Mildly Confused
UK
Joined Oct 2008
1,375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs View Post
On the HK600 thread, I think it was Paul 1968 or Bionicbone reporting reduced BEC output voltage under load with a Turnigy UBEC. Not sure if the unit had begun to fail or if it was on the verge of shutdown.
It was Kev mate (Bionicbone). I'll not take credit for his research. If memory serves he didn't quite get as far as total shutdown. He did report that this phenomenon didn't manifest itself until he went flybarless when all the load from the head was transferred directly to the servos. Until then everything had worked well even with the flymentor unit in use. He came to fly with me at our club several weeks ago and his model flew great and never missed a beat. (Off topic but he's a real nice fella too).

Paul
Paul 1968 is online now Find More Posts by Paul 1968
Old Oct 21, 2012, 02:48 PM
Yes, I know it's upside down.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
3,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs View Post
I've used both the Henge 933's and the 922's. Although the 922's are supposed to be faster, they measured the same speed on the servo tester, and had a lot more gear slop than the 933's. I quite liked the 933's on my 450, and did maybe 150 flights with them before they perished in a crash with broken cases.
Interesting point. I'd never thought that through, but the higher gearing of the "faster" servos would also amplify any gear slop.
Harrow is offline Find More Posts by Harrow