Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 20, 2012, 03:26 PM
rcflyer
UK
Joined Jun 2010
844 Posts
Thanks 2doggs and pmackenzie, I shall look into getting one of those.
Please could I have a few more suggestions for servos on cyclic and tail (im thinking of getting a spartan quark)

Cheers
Jim
rcjim11 is offline Find More Posts by rcjim11
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2012, 03:26 PM
Helicopter Baron
United States, CO, Golden
Joined Feb 2012
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
If you want a good governor then consider getting a Castle Phoenix 45., but you will need an external BEC.
I also like the Castle governors. I've had them on all my helis. The governors work great, have different modes and you can adjust the gain.

Although I'm curious why you say that about the BEC. I've heard of failures but only on high voltage, high current applications that probably should have been using a receiver pack anyway. Their integrated BEC's work great for 500/425 and smaller helis. On bigger helicopters, the servos will trip the strictly enforced 5A limit (momentary, not continuous) but a 450/325 wouldn't be anywhere close to that... at all.
spaaarky21 is offline Find More Posts by spaaarky21
Old Oct 20, 2012, 03:27 PM
rcflyer
UK
Joined Jun 2010
844 Posts
Possibly these for cyclic?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...g_0_06sec.html
Old Oct 20, 2012, 03:28 PM
rcflyer
UK
Joined Jun 2010
844 Posts
What are the measurements of the servo pockets?
Old Oct 20, 2012, 03:49 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,656 Posts
Sorry bout that but my 6 year old CC Phonix 45A will no longer connect to castle Link and I am not really willing to spend $45 plus shipping to get it fixed. I could use my Phoenix 60 but that would really be over kill and I may need it for one of my planks someday.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Oct 21, 2012 at 04:51 AM.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 03:49 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,653 Posts
Coronas

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjim11 View Post
You might be better off going for the 929 version, which is a bit slower but with more torque. All the Corona servos I've tried have had fairly sloppy gears which wear quite quickly too, but they are at least cheap and otherwise OK. They're a good fit in the 450 Pro, think they also fit the other 450's too. They do digital versions, which perform better if you're using an FBL controller - but with a regular FB setup, the analog ones are fine and slightly cheaper.

With any cheap servos, make sure you buy at least one spare, since quality control is never a strong point. Futaba style servo arms fit the Coronas.
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Oct 20, 2012, 05:36 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaaarky21 View Post
I also like the Castle governors. I've had them on all my helis. The governors work great, have different modes and you can adjust the gain.

Although I'm curious why you say that about the BEC. I've heard of failures but only on high voltage, high current applications that probably should have been using a receiver pack anyway. Their integrated BEC's work great for 500/425 and smaller helis. On bigger helicopters, the servos will trip the strictly enforced 5A limit (momentary, not continuous) but a 450/325 wouldn't be anywhere close to that... at all.
The standard Phoenix line only has a linear 3 amp BEC. I did the "wiggle" test with mine (wiggle the stick continuously on the bench) and the BEC got extremely hot and was doing momentary shut downs.
I added a Dimension ParkBec that is only rated 1.5 amps, it passed the wiggle test fine. So it is not the amp rating that is the problem , but the power rating.

You could use a Ice Lite 50, it has a built in switching BEC. That is what they suggest for a 450. The standard line is a lot lighter though.

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:36 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
This is kinda like apple VS IBM or Using a computer VS video game system lol! Why a lot of people like or love eflite because they pick the electronics that come with it and for the most part fly out of the box. One reason Align has started only selling combos. These companies have already tried and tested what works and what don't. They are not perfect (eflites servos suck and so does align 3gx) . I guess we should just be glad that you can take out what comes with them. Soon they may start making every thing propitiatory and you will have no choice (apple)
My own plan for a 600 sometime next year is a Thunder Tiger Titan X50E with Hitec servos and a Robird G31. I can bring it in for less than the cost of the Align combo with a better quality airframe and better performance.
Atomic Skull is online now Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:40 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,145 Posts
Quote:
Use the 929 or 939 digitals (they come in analog and digital versions be sure you get the right ones) The tabs on those are weak, a good way to strengthen them is to glue some of the "servo mounting parts" HK sells to the top of the tab. This especially helps in the SEv2 frame and with the elevator servo in the 450 Sport because it makes the top of the tab flush with the frame and relieves stress on the plastic tabs.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:42 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs View Post
I keep hearing good things about the YEP ESC's, and their active freewheel feature seems like a great idea.

Does the 45A really weigh 62g though? That seems really heavy. My 80A Superbrain only weighs 52g.
The YEP ESCs are an unauthorized relable version of the YGE, it's literally the same ESC. The factory that (used to) make YGE's decided they'd run some extras off the assembly line to sell for themselves.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:25 PM
Yes, I know it's upside down.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
3,307 Posts
Quote:
Do I need to get an ESC with governor mode? What does it do?

Cheers
Jim
I don't think it's worth the bother on a 450. I use governor on my 550 and 700 size, but for a 450 size and smaller, I use a non-governor ESC, set the throttle to 100% and leave it at that. Set desired headspeed with pinion size. The little helis can often do with as much power as they can get, so having 100% throttle at mid-stick feeds plenty of momentum into the blades when you are doing tic-tocs, etc.
Harrow is offline Find More Posts by Harrow
Last edited by Harrow; Oct 20, 2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:51 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrow View Post
I don't think it's worth the bother on a 450. I use governor on my 550 and 700 size, but for a 450 size and smaller, I use a non-governor ESC, set the throttle to 100% and leave it at that. Set desired headspeed with pinion size. The little helis can often do with as much power as they can get, so having 100% throttle at mid-stick feeds plenty of momentum into the blades when you are doing tic-tocs, etc.
Governor is good for consistent headspeed throughout the pack on scale and soft 3D. The YEP45A has the RPM sensor built in so why not use it?
Old Oct 21, 2012, 02:11 AM
Helicopter Baron
United States, CO, Golden
Joined Feb 2012
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
The standard Phoenix line only has a linear 3 amp BEC. I did the "wiggle" test with mine (wiggle the stick continuously on the bench) and the BEC got extremely hot and was doing momentary shut downs.
I added a Dimension ParkBec that is only rated 1.5 amps, it passed the wiggle test fine. So it is not the amp rating that is the problem , but the power rating.

You could use a Ice Lite 50, it has a built in switching BEC. That is what they suggest for a 450. The standard line is a lot lighter though.
That's an interesting combination. I didn't realize that any of the regular Phoenix line wasn't discontinued. The Phoenix/ParkBEC combination (36.2g) would save you 12g over a Phoenix Ice (48.2g) but for what it's worth to anyone who doesn't already have that setup...
- The 45 amp Phoenix is discontinued
- The two together are more expensive than a Phoenix Ice Lite 50
- The ParkBEC is a switching BEC (like the Phoenix Ice but unlike the regular Phoenix) but it's only rated for 1.25A and their site warns that it "cannot power multiple digital servos." Using analog servos on a helicopter is unappealing, especially a flybarless one.

The Phoenix Ice line also lets you pick your BEC output voltage between 5V and 7V in 0.1V increments.
spaaarky21 is offline Find More Posts by spaaarky21
Old Oct 21, 2012, 04:39 AM
rcflyer
UK
Joined Jun 2010
844 Posts
Ok, are those corona servos good for 3d, cause I want to buy the kit to allow me to do 3d even if not at the moment.?
I was looking at these as decent fast servos.. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...06sec_21g.html
All round?

Thanks again
Jim
Old Oct 21, 2012, 04:58 AM
Yes, I know it's upside down.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
3,307 Posts
Quote:
Ok, are those corona servos good for 3d, cause I want to buy the kit to allow me to do 3d even if not at the moment.?
I was looking at these as decent fast servos.. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...06sec_21g.html
All round?

Thanks again
Jim
Impressive specs! Here's another option
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14279
Harrow is offline Find More Posts by Harrow