HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:59 AM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
11,875 Posts
It's no wonder they are changing the head. I don't think there is one unbent piece on this and the crash was not bad. Hit throttle hold before it hit the ground. The Align DFC head is a tank lol!
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:01 AM
rcflyer
UK
Joined Jun 2010
843 Posts
If I was to purchase my first cp heli and this was it, other than the obvious: kit, servos, lipo, rx, gyro, motor. What tools would I need?

Cheers
Jim
rcjim11 is offline Find More Posts by rcjim11
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:54 AM
Joined Nov 2006
337 Posts
I just landed my align DFC head upside down in an asphalt parking lot. As soon as I went into a hover, it did a backflip, landed upside down on the disk just as I hit throttle hold and spun to a stop. The post mortem showed that the 3gx elevator setting was reversed. I must have accidentally changed it while resetting my ele and aile range after changing the servos. Blades are trashed, the tail blades will need sanded down a touch and rebalanced and it cracked the horizonatal fin, but aside from that it looks like nothing else took any damage.

The align DFC head is very solid.
tommythecat is offline Find More Posts by tommythecat
Old Oct 14, 2012, 05:41 PM
If it Works, You Better Fix It
North Idaho
Joined Feb 2011
683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
It's no wonder they are changing the head. I don't think there is one unbent piece on this and the crash was not bad. Hit throttle hold before it hit the ground. The Align DFC head is a tank lol!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommythecat View Post
I just landed my align DFC head upside down in an asphalt parking lot. As soon as I went into a hover, it did a backflip, landed upside down on the disk just as I hit throttle hold and spun to a stop. The post mortem showed that the 3gx elevator setting was reversed. I must have accidentally changed it while resetting my ele and aile range after changing the servos. Blades are trashed, the tail blades will need sanded down a touch and rebalanced and it cracked the horizonatal fin, but aside from that it looks like nothing else took any damage.

The align DFC head is very solid.
Too bad about the crashes but good info to have. I'll be getting into FBL hopefully next spring.

Bill S.
VelocityRC is offline Find More Posts by VelocityRC
Old Oct 14, 2012, 05:49 PM
No Longer Active
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
Its funny, a few of us ( led mainly by R_Lefebvre) tried to point out this fundamental flaw in the DFC head design when they first came out, but we got dumped on

The new Tarot head looks interesting. They have moved the pivot in the pitch arms to be more in line with the natural flex that will be in the main grip bearings.
I wonder if they are also running "hard" dampers, or if they are simply running a rigidly mounted feathering spindle?
Are there any exploded pictures on-line?

Pat MacKenzie
Seems like there are mixed reviews here still about the Align DFC head. some like it and some hate it.
pitchp is offline Find More Posts by pitchp
Old Oct 14, 2012, 05:58 PM
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
4,887 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchp View Post
Seems like there are mixed reviews here still about the Align DFC head. some like it and some hate it.
I love mine ! It flys better than my 500 . Will i go flybarless for all my birds , NO .
I wanted to try it , i did ,and it works FLAWLESSLY ! I did learn that you don't need all the pitch you need for a flybar head . I went from +12 -12 to +9-9 . same with cyclic pitch, from 8 to 5 . this is where i think people are having problems with boom strikes , you don't need all that pitch to do the same thing as a flybar head .
Maybe its just me .
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:01 PM
If it Works, You Better Fix It
North Idaho
Joined Feb 2011
683 Posts
I finished a green theme for the Align 450 Pro a couple weeks ago. Got the Tarot see saw bearings replaced and the Align hub, grips, bearings, slider assy., shafts and gears on the tail. The head is nice again but the align tail parts proved have about the same amount of play as the Tarot parts I took off. Oh well, parts changing practice.

Took some pics of the Align and the Tarot today to share.

Happy Flying !!!

Bill S.
VelocityRC is offline Find More Posts by VelocityRC
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:02 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,789 Posts
Quote:
I'm very happy so far with my 250DFC, 450DFC and 500SDC heads, all using the ZYX. The only thing I miss with the DFC head is the turnbuckle pitch adjustment.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:04 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
11,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jombo View Post
I love mine ! It flys better than my 500 . Will i go flybarless for all my birds , NO .
I wanted to try it , i did ,and it works FLAWLESSLY ! I did learn that you don't need all the pitch you need for a flybar head . I went from +12 -12 to +9-9 . same with cyclic pitch, from 8 to 5 . this is where i think people are having problems with boom strikes , you don't need all that pitch to do the same thing as a flybar head .
Maybe its just me .
It's not you You should of seen my 450 today doing all kinds of flips, twist, and swirls lol! in 20-30 mile winds at the fun fly.
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 15, 2012, 01:00 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,057 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp00fman View Post
If you fold both blades backwards and they line up, you got your 0-pitch point. Cant be simpler actually. Then go full positive and negative collective to calculate collective pitch range. For 325mm blades the tips are 135mm apart for 12 degrees.

easy peasy on a FBL head
From end to end or from the blade root?
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Old Oct 15, 2012, 01:38 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,057 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjim11 View Post
If I was to purchase my first cp heli and this was it, other than the obvious: kit, servos, lipo, rx, gyro, motor. What tools would I need?

Cheers
Jim
Same as you need with any 450 kit.

Two 1.5mm socket head screwdrivers and one each of 2mm and 2.5mm socket head screwdrivers. (might also need a 1.3mm for the radius arm screws, some FBL heads like the RJX use a pin with c-clips instead which I like better) 4mm, 5mm and 5.5mm metric nut drivers. Pitch gauge, a swashplate leveler for 5mm shafts, ball link pliers. Some needle nose pliers, diagonal cutters. Optional but very useful is a feathering shaft wrench for getting the other screw out without scratching up the feathering shaft. Align makes a nice one for 4mm and 6mm shafts for $14, which is the best price I've seen on these.

For locktite (blue) and bearing retainer (the green stuff) Amain Hobbies sells the two bottles that come with the Align kit for around $4 a set. I really like the Align blue locktite now. The blue bottle is low strength for screws and the green stuff is medium strength and is used to retain bearings in their holes (if the bearing is a press fit you don't need it)

On the subject of ball link pliers, be careful when removing links from your swashplate, especially the radius arms. It's very easy to scratch it up. be sure to go in straight behind the link with the prongs and seat the cup against the ball before applying pressure. With mine I ended up grinding all the edges and corners on the prongs round. The cheap yellow ones from Xheli are made of pretty soft metal, but I guess that makes them less likely to gouge up the aluminum if they slip.

For hex drivers I recommend these:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Metric-Set-Red

And buy a single of the 1.5mm for your second. These are actually better than the Align set.

For nut drivers these will have you covered.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Nut-Driver-Set

And this will cover you if you need the 1.3mm

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...3mm-Hex-Driver

Don't even think about using allen keys, they do not work. They round off fast and you will and up tearing up your fingers and stripping screws.

If you need more screws you can get them cheap here (metric 12-9 grade, better than what come in the kits and basically the hardest screw you can get)

http://www.fastenal.com/web/home.ex

If you want stainless steel screws you can get them cheap here.

http://www.trimcraftaviationrc.com/

Main rotor screw set here (all hex)

http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/in...oducts_id=4867

Just the mainblade screws.

http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/in...oducts_id=4794

Tail link screw set (all hex screws)

http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/in...oducts_id=4803

Replacement washers

Washer kit (doesn't have 2x3.5x0.5 washers)

http://www.infinity-hobby.com/main/p...oducts_id=7446

2x3.5x0.5 washers

http://www.infinity-hobby.com/main/p...oducts_id=4695

the 2x3.5x0.5 are used a few places, such as between flange bearings. If you get a part with a bearing on each side and a screw that goes through that binds when tightened check to make sure that there is a washer between them. If not add either a 2x3.5x0.2 or a 2x3.5x0.5 depending on how far apart the bearings are. 2x3.5 washers are the magic bullet than will eliminate almost all binding.
Last edited by Atomic Skull; Oct 15, 2012 at 02:06 AM.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 02:10 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,057 Posts
Quote:
Personally I'm a fan of the $15 Hobbyking RJX clone on the 450. I had a crash that bent the mainshaft at a 45 degree angle and split the feathering shaft in half and the only thing bent were the pitch control arms. The grips, headblock and swashdriver arms were all ok.

HK needs to start supplying the 2x3.5x0.2 washers that are supposed to go between the flange bearings in the arms though.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:49 AM
rcflyer
UK
Joined Jun 2010
843 Posts
Thank you Atomic skull for that amazing list!
What gyros are you guys using?
Jim
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:52 AM
Mildly Confused
UK
Joined Oct 2008
1,375 Posts
Fly barred or flybarless Jim? On my HK450 I'm using a Tarot ZYX flybarless gyro , on my T-Rex 450 I'm using an Align GP780.
Paul 1968 is offline Find More Posts by Paul 1968
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:59 AM
rcflyer
UK
Joined Jun 2010
843 Posts
I'm going flybar first. Are there others of a smaller price range that still offer rock solid performance? (Sounds like a stupid question, I know!)

Cheers
Jim