HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 07, 2012, 12:44 AM
Sweden
Joined Jan 2010
567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlee1017 View Post
yeap. mip looks way expensive but it's worth to me. I had used different brand drivers so far mip is the best and last long. I bought mip drivers over time when I needed in building new size bird. especially for 0.9mm and 1.3mm, mip is the best. no doubt.

my 2 cents...
Another vote for MIP. Compared to Bondhus they seem to last forever, though I should say the bondhus ones have ball ends.
sandos is offline Find More Posts by sandos
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 07, 2012, 01:46 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,057 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truglodite View Post
I ordered these at my LSH and picked them up Saturday...

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...mm-Shim-Set-20

...got home and immediately tore down my Tarot 450 pro head for a quick maintenance/upgrade. During reassembly I shimmed all the bearings in the arms and the seesaw for zero slop. The shims fit the flange bearings nicely, and are only 0.12mm thick which allows fine adjustments to the bearing play. After reassembly it felt much tighter, and without and grittiness; especially cool that the arms weren't wobbling back and forth anymore. I got 3 flights in heavy winds the next day to test it out. Despite the winds I could easily notice how much tighter it flew, and the major wobble during spoolup went away.

Anyways it's affirmative: the Calandra shims are a must for dealing with lose fitting flange bearings!

Kev
When I put my Tarot 450 sport together I had to remove the shims on the flange bearings in the washout arms or else I couldn't tighten the screws without the arms binding. And on the mixing arms I ended up having to put a 2x3.6x0.2 washer in between the bearings to prevent them from binding.
Atomic Skull is online now Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Old Jun 07, 2012, 01:51 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,057 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlee1017 View Post
I think atomic is talking dynamite metric set instead.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Hex-Driver-Set

I always use mip allen wrench. to me, they are the best.
Yes that one only I bought a 1.5mm hex only, and a phillips set. I don't think the hex driver is quite as good as the Align but I only use it for the feathering shaft or screws in hard to reach places because of it's longer shaft and smaller handle.
Old Jun 07, 2012, 03:21 AM
Yes, I know it's upside down.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
3,299 Posts
Received my Emax ES9258 and installed it last night. Man, that thing is huge!! It almost looks comical in comparison to the cyclic servos. (In the photo you can see how it dwarfs the MKS DS-480 sitting on the table that it replaced.)

Did a test flight under the floodlights in the backyard last night and I'm impressed. Absolutely solid as a rock, with full pitch pumps giving maybe 2 or 3 degrees of tail kick. Can't wait for this weekend to really test it out. Tic-toc heaven, here we come!!! (I just know I'm gonna total this poor heli on Saturday. )
Harrow is offline Find More Posts by Harrow
Last edited by Harrow; Jun 07, 2012 at 04:27 AM.
Old Jun 07, 2012, 03:30 AM
No Longer Active
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
yep I've got the ES9257 and that too is huge on a 250. But my tail is solid!
pitchp is offline Find More Posts by pitchp
Old Jun 07, 2012, 04:31 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
3,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchp View Post
yep I've got the ES9257 and that too is huge on a 250. But my tail is solid!
The ES9257 is the same size as the ES9258. I can't believe you have it on a 250. You might as well put clown shoes and a red nose on it as well.
Last edited by Harrow; Jun 07, 2012 at 05:42 AM.
Old Jun 07, 2012, 04:38 AM
No Longer Active
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrow View Post
The ES9257 is the same size as the ES9258. I can't believe you have it on a 250. You might as well put clown shoes and a red nose on it as well.
i know tell me about it. but the tail is soooo locked in it's not funny.
Old Jun 07, 2012, 06:06 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
3,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchp View Post
i know tell me about it. but the tail is soooo locked in it's not funny.
Hmm, just noticed the 9257 is same as the 9258, but 5 grams lighter due to plastic gears. Is there any need for metal gears on a tail servo? Would probably be better off with the lighter plastic gear version since I've had to add lead to the nose to get the balance right.
Old Jun 07, 2012, 09:14 AM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
11,875 Posts
Here is what DFC 450 guys have been waiting for http://www.rc711.com/shop/alzrc-450-...te-p-6348.html
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 07, 2012, 11:00 AM
No Longer Active
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrow View Post
Hmm, just noticed the 9257 is same as the 9258, but 5 grams lighter due to plastic gears. Is there any need for metal gears on a tail servo? Would probably be better off with the lighter plastic gear version since I've had to add lead to the nose to get the balance right.
Yep that's why i chose the es9257 it's much lighter!
Old Jun 07, 2012, 11:02 AM
No Longer Active
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
Here is what DFC 450 guys have been waiting for http://www.rc711.com/shop/alzrc-450-...te-p-6348.html
yep that's kool. From the rumours I'm hearing align will also be making them for the 250 and 450!
Old Jun 07, 2012, 11:14 AM
If it Works, You Better Fix It
North Idaho
Joined Feb 2011
683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickxx4360 View Post
These are more durable and have replaceable tips. Lot's of wrenching, cars and helis, can't wear them out. My Hudy's didn't last as long as these have. Nice set IMO.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...x-Driver-Set-4

Bill S.
VelocityRC is offline Find More Posts by VelocityRC
Old Jun 07, 2012, 01:50 PM
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
4,887 Posts
i got my KFC HEAD and did a pre flight test , this thing flys itself . this isin't flying , this is more of a relaxing day at the field . i like it though , but wont buy another because of the cost . flybar free , flybarless 200 more donuts . the good news is it used analog servos for the cyclic , just need a basic digi servo for the tail.
still in one piece
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Last edited by jombo; May 29, 2013 at 12:38 PM.
Old Jun 07, 2012, 09:43 PM
No Longer Active
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
i noticed you're using the emax aswell jombo.
Old Jun 08, 2012, 02:04 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,057 Posts
Well I finally found a solution for the links rubbing in the corners. I put a 450 Pro flybar cage on it. It worked perfectly with the Sport fixed links (the Pro links are actually too long), the only adjustment that was needed was shortening the servo to swash links by one turn and lengthening the pitch control links a few turns to bring the washout and mixing arms level at 0 degrees. The helicopter also seems more stable with the wider flybar cage.

Starting at around 8 degrees cyclic at maximum collective and with the stick in a corner the top of the flybar links will rub the blade grips. But this is still a lot better than having links rub the mixing arms under the same conditions at 6 degrees cyclic. (and I won't be using 8 degrees cyclic or flying with the stick in a corner anyway)

Found another US based clone distributor, they're selling a WinRC 450 Sport kit for under $50 and a lot of WinRc Pro and Sport parts. Located in Elk Grove California.

Ordered a pack of these apparently brass boom holder bolts.

http://www.hobbycool.com/450-sport-v...rod-p-283.html
Last edited by Atomic Skull; Jun 08, 2012 at 02:27 AM.