SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 25, 2010, 02:36 AM
Yes, I know it's upside down.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
3,309 Posts
This looks a like a pretty good deal to me.

http://www.dinodirect.com/align-t-re...per-combo.html

For one week only, Align 450 super sport combo for $368 USD including GP750 gyro and align servos, motor, ESC and blades. Plus free postage.
Harrow is offline Find More Posts by Harrow
Last edited by Harrow; Nov 25, 2010 at 02:42 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2010, 02:44 AM
UK
Joined May 2007
3,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedwearsahat View Post
20C might be too little for a fairly heavy bird perhaps that's what did them in?
Possible. But 20C or 25C makes little difference. And I do have lots of other (Hobby King) batteries that are nominally 20C and they lasted longer.

Quote:
We'll go through a good few packs before he gets into a situation where a save with full collective will be required so I might start him with the cheaper motor so he can get a good taste for the hobby without spending a fortune.
No matter how hard I'm trying to argue it - I must completely agree. For $12-13 you can't be wrong. It will get you into the hobby.. and then... muahahaha - you'll be hooked and won't need me or anyone else to tell you that you want bigger, better, faster, flashier heli (or parts)

Quote:
Reading the reviews the motor listed doesn't seem lacking in power?
Unfortunately I wouldn't know. What I do know is that I was completely happy with my £35-40 scorpion 2221-8 and thought that my MT is really powerful especially with nanotech batteries. And then I tried out £80-90 hacker motor in it - and I wasn't able to bog the head no matter how hard I was trying (I'm really bad in collective management and that motor just breezed through my sloppy tic/tocs like simple gentle hovering)... Now, I have to fight myself as I think that I must have one! LOL

Quote:
Thanks for the advice clicky.
Np. Good thing is that, unlike me, you're doing exactly what I would do now if I am to start as a complete beginner. Everything started working out for me when I got my MT (as first, proper helicopter) and put scorpion and carbon blades... And you're nearly there. Give it 3 to 6 months...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 126jp View Post
Hey, you bunch of lunatics!
That's brilliant! Well done. Now - since you've got 30-odd flights with it - I expect no less than four point tic/toc in next 200 flights! (just kidding - of course - but with such dedication you can get anywhere!). Anyway - it looks like you're going to right direction - check it in here: http://www.helifreak.com/showpost.ph...0&postcount=21

It is a good idea to spot and practice slow pirouettes too and in a no time you'll really fly far better than most of us reading this forum!
clicky is offline Find More Posts by clicky
Old Nov 25, 2010, 02:50 AM
Sweden
Joined Jan 2010
567 Posts
Quote:
Besides, itís the one with which I learned to fly, has been wrecked more than twenty times, and it just wouldnít be right, now that I donít crash so often (31 consecutive flights, no fatalities), not to fly it until itís just plumb worn out.
How many flights do you have in total? Has to be very hard to learn that.
sandos is offline Find More Posts by sandos
Old Nov 25, 2010, 05:44 AM
No Longer Active
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Hey, you bunch of lunatics!

Little vid I was presented w/ after flying w/ a couple of buddies. Kept the heli somewhat closer than usual for cinematographyís sake. Donít usually fly that close; donít wanna lose anything else, know what I mean?

Iíve managed to develop fairly good control in all upright orientations, working now on upright backwards circuits, and inverted circuits. All in good time.

The HK450 is completely stock except for the 500 landing gear, which will come off this week in favor of the original undercarriage. Those tall, wide skids sure were confidence builders and kept the t-rotor nice and high. But now that I can keep the blade tips and the tail out of the dirt, theyíre a little heavy to lug around. What a sweet flying chopper. Of course, being a nubee, all I have to compare it with is my Axe 400. The Axe is the second heli on the vid. I continue to fly it because itís twitchy and keeps me on my. . .yeah, you know. Besides, itís the one with which I learned to fly, has been wrecked more than twenty times, and it just wouldnít be right, now that I donít crash so often (31 consecutive flights, no fatalities), not to fly it until itís just plumb worn out.

Sp00fman, how do you like my Tx-gloves? My mom in law made them for me. Toasty!

Would someone please figure the head speed on both choppers for me using that tach software? I sure would appreciate it.

Hope you guys enjoy it. Thank you for the great info packed into this thread.

Jules
jules the heli hs is giving out incorrect readings, best to get a tacho.

Hey talking about lunatics check out this lunatic, he's trying to learn how to fly aswell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9BnQeY9vSE
pitchp is offline Find More Posts by pitchp
Old Nov 25, 2010, 06:00 AM
Things that do fly
In my house ;-) The uk
Joined Dec 2008
2,711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchp View Post
jules the heli hs is giving out incorrect readings, best to get a tacho.

Hey talking about lunatics check out this lunatic, he's trying to learn how to fly aswell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9BnQeY9vSE
Wow that guy knows his stuff !,,,strange though,he can do every trick in the book but doesnt seem to be able to do nose in?quite a basic thing really
Magic k2 is offline Find More Posts by Magic k2
Old Nov 25, 2010, 06:11 AM
No Longer Active
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic k2 View Post
Wow that guy knows his stuff !,,,strange though,he can do every trick in the book but doesnt seem to be able to do nose in?quite a basic thing really
lol he really needs more practice. He lost a lot of helis with nose in. That is such a dangerous manouver, you're asking a bit too much from a newbie, which has 5 flights under his belt(that includes the flights he's had with extremest heli of all the Blade MCX!!!). But I will try and get a video of him doing a nose in for 10mins when he gets to it. I wouldn't be surprised if he masters all the tricks in the book, and still doesn't know nose in. That would be embarressing. :P
Last edited by pitchp; Nov 25, 2010 at 07:15 AM.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 06:30 AM
Can't-Get-Right
Souf' East UK
Joined Aug 2008
81 Posts
Hi all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicky View Post
[SNIP]It will get you into the hobby.. and then... muahahaha - you'll be hooked and won't need me or anyone else to tell you that you want bigger, better, faster, flashier heli (or parts) [SNIP]
For my sins I am already well in, I'm a pretty casual pilot though; only just under 380 flights in 3 ish years.

MSH Protos - Dusk Flight - 03 October 2010 (5 min 49 sec)

This heli is for a colleague who really wants to try out RC flight and specifically helis but doesn't want to sink a fortune into it for a number of reasons too lengthy to go into here.
tedwearsahat is offline Find More Posts by tedwearsahat
Old Nov 25, 2010, 08:14 AM
Look Ma, no hands!
Edenton, NC
Joined Jun 2009
72 Posts
Clicky, thanks for the syllabus. I needed that.

Sandos, I have on my log 75 flights. On my buddyís calendar (thatís where he would log # of batts I flew and a big CRASH! at the end) I expect there are about 20 (give or take) flights.óif you can call them flights.

Pitchp, yeah, thanks. The music destroys fidelity. Thatís you on the sim isnít it? Cool! Can you imagine a miniature pilot in that thing, or even a fly? Both would be dead from the G forces! BTW, I learned to fly nose-in from what I was always told during flight instruction when I would either slip or skid the airplane in a turn. My instructor would yell, ďStep on the ball!Ē meaning press whichever rudder pedal corresponded to the side the ball of the slip & turn indicator was on. So when I was learning to nose in I would ďstepĒ on the low blade by moving the stick to that side, then just flew the tail instead of the nose. When the tail went left I moved it to the right w/ right rudder and visa versa. Many heli instructors frown on flying the tail. I donít care. Itís what worked for me. I have developed no bad habits due to that, and my brain has now taken over and I donít even think about what heli appendage is where during nose-in, the sticks just move. And I love hovering that orientation. The heli looks like a little alien, floating there in front of you, screaming at you. Doesnít it?

Tedwearsahat, that heli is a rocket! I wanna hover nose-in inverted that low, but Iím skeerd!

Nothín but love, guys.

Jules
126jp is offline Find More Posts by 126jp
Old Nov 25, 2010, 08:18 AM
UK
Joined May 2007
3,204 Posts
Quote:
Hi all.

For my sins I am already well in, I'm a pretty casual pilot though; only just under 380 flights in 3 ish years.

This heli is for a colleague who really wants to try out RC flight and specifically helis but doesn't want to sink a fortune into it for a number of reasons too lengthy to go into here.
Even worse - you want someone else to hook on to this hobby! Well done!

BTW we're missing thumb up icon (some other forums have) here: you would get two - one for the setup for friend of yours you did and one for protos!
Old Nov 25, 2010, 08:18 AM
Sweden
Joined Jan 2010
567 Posts
Quote:
, I have on my log 75 flights. On my buddyís calendar (thatís where he would log # of batts I flew and a big CRASH! at the end) I expect there are about 20 (give or take) flights.óif you can call them flights.
Damn you! I have something similar on my log and I don't fly as confidently! At least not doing any flipping or the like
Old Nov 25, 2010, 08:20 AM
UK
Joined May 2007
3,204 Posts
Quote:
Clicky, thanks for the syllabus. I needed that.
NP But I can't take kudos for it - it is someone else who did it. I wish someone told me something like that 3 years ago . Now, after spent a year learning slow pirouettes - I completely support that post

Quote:
Sandos, I have on my log 75 flights. On my buddyís calendar (thatís where he would log # of batts I flew and a big CRASH! at the end) I expect there are about 20 (give or take) flights.óif you can call them flights....
Every flight counts! I log even hovering in my garden!
Old Nov 25, 2010, 08:23 AM
Sweden
Joined Jan 2010
567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clicky View Post
NP But I can't take kudos for it - it is someone else who did it. I wish someone told me something like that 3 years ago . Now, after spent a year learning slow pirouettes - I completely support that post

Every flight counts! I log even hovering in my garden!
Same here, I log if go out a try something for 2 minutes, or if I hop around for 7 minutes. Mostly for battery longevity statistics.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 08:38 AM
No Longer Active
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Hi all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIRI0aYbHMA

that's a very nice bird. I like it.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 08:45 AM
No Longer Active
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
Jules, that's exactly my thoughts over nose in. I am in the point of trying anything to get it to sink in. It just seems like it requires a lot of thought process for something so simple. I just don't understand. I will try your advice, i wont do anything else until i get this nose in under wraps. It's just so boring, compared to a piro tic toc. Anyways thank you jules, I'll give it a go!
Old Nov 25, 2010, 09:01 AM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,464 Posts
I was able to hit the blade tips on the ground while hovering inverted the other day. I was soooo excited and then I was doing those darn flips at ground level and hit the blades

Im getting it I still need to work on tail in inverted hovering and flight. Thats been really hard fo me
losifanatic is online now Find More Posts by losifanatic