Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 17, 2010, 11:30 AM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgearuk View Post
The 1st 3 are correct 250, 400 and 450 were all originally based on motor size, however the 500, 550, 600 and 700 heli's are all based on blade size.

The mini Titan 325, is based on blade size which makes it the same size as a trex 450!!
Man, I got ripped off!!!

I bought a brand new 500 heli and it came with 425mm blades! But not only that, I can not install 500mm blades as the tail is too short!

No, it's a misnomer in Align's nomenclature. The 250 and 450 are based on motor size. 600 and 700 on blade size. The 500 (425mm blades) and 550 (520mm blades) are just the numbers between 450 and 600 and do not represent either blade size or motor size. A 500 motor is approximately 300 watts, a 500 heli uses a 700W motor. The stock 550 uses the 600 power system which is 1600 watts.

BTW the 700 comes stock with 690mm blades but can use up to 710mm blades without stretching.

Ivan
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ivanc; Nov 17, 2010 at 11:35 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2010, 12:33 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
That's as clear as mud! lol

Yep I just checked my Trex 500 and they are only 440mm damn I've been short changed!! lol

But my Trex 600 has got 600mm blades on... Thank god for that!
topgearuk is offline Find More Posts by topgearuk
Old Nov 17, 2010, 01:06 PM
Things that do fly
In my house ;-) The uk
Joined Dec 2008
2,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchp View Post
ok MK, show me a recording with the sim speed set to 100% showing, with expos showing, stick movement, with 7 km winds! hah! for atleast 5 mins flight time. Am I asking too much?
There is a little fraps uploading to youtube for you now dude inverted nose in and head on floor,,gonna take 170 mins me!!!!
Magic k2 is offline Find More Posts by Magic k2
Old Nov 17, 2010, 01:13 PM
Looptastic!
Enschede, Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,243 Posts
I repaired my crashed day bird and installed the FG frame. The only original parts of the V1 it once was, is the plastic bearing holders, tail boom block, tail case halves, and bottom plate...

I need to get a makeshift battery tray mount to finish it off. its crumbled to small plastic pieces so badly its beyond glue fixing now. Perhaps ill just make a small block of plywood and screw the metal part on that. Anyone have a better idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade1 View Post
Hey guys,

what does it mean when you are hovering, and apply some left (or right) rudder, and when you let go of the rudder stick, the heli slowly points back to where it was before applying the rudder.

is this a gyro problem or tail slider problem???

Had this on both my 450's. Initially it was all good but it developed it over a few months. I tried to correct it with changing blades, adding delay, distance from center on servo horn, new tail slider (old one was a bit worn) but never got if tuned out until i got a new tailservo. I suspect it is due to the lowering of the gain needed to stop wagging at higher headspeeds and the servo becoming a little sloppy in the gears. I could describe it as a sponge effect. When correcting the tail fast, it always drifted back a little.
sp00fman is offline Find More Posts by sp00fman
Old Nov 17, 2010, 02:11 PM
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
5,007 Posts
get some metal flashing from your local hardware store . cut it to the shape you need , bend the edges down to where the screws go to and screw it on . http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Old Nov 17, 2010, 02:30 PM
Looptastic!
Enschede, Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,243 Posts
Hey, thats great! A roll of aluminum sheet!
What thickness is "Gauge : 0.0092" in mm's? If its like 1mm i could also use it to make my custom ESC heatsinks.

I bought an ESC from Barak1001 and i just couldn't resist unwrapping the heatshrink to check the soldering job and to see if i could improve the cooling design.... i just cant help myself opening electronic devices up to have a peek
sp00fman is offline Find More Posts by sp00fman
Old Nov 17, 2010, 02:38 PM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp00fman View Post
Hey, thats great! A roll of aluminum sheet!
What thickness is "Gauge : 0.0092" in mm's? If its like 1mm i could also use it to make my custom ESC heatsinks.
That's not gauge but straight into inches. 0.0092" = 0.234 mm.
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2010, 04:09 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,433 Posts
Quote:
alright guys, how long can you do a nose in hover for?

except losi. :P
Hey why cant I join the fun. I can take off and run the whole pack and then land nose in I am also working on my nose in inverted hovers and keeping it below 3ft.
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Nov 17, 2010, 04:20 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
Joined Oct 2007
16,433 Posts
I am having issues with my tail twitching. It looks like a tail with a few teeth missing off the belt but mine is TT. This started after a crash last week. So last night I replaced all the gears to the tail and put a new TT in it. I also put 3 TT bearing to make sure it being held straight. Its smooth as glass. Now I throttle up and the twitch is still there. I took the main blades off and the twitch is still there.
I replaced the aluminum head, cap, main shaft, feathering shaft, main blades, flybar, and flybar paddles. Oh and a gear set on the aileron servo.(the crash was only from 2ft off the ground and I killed all that )

I am going to change the tail blades to see if that does anything. I guess I can undo the head completely and spin her up and see what it does.

Any suggestions are welcomed
Old Nov 17, 2010, 05:15 PM
No Longer Active
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic k2 View Post
There is a little fraps uploading to youtube for you now dude inverted nose in and head on floor,,gonna take 170 mins me!!!!
ohh kool thanks MK.
pitchp is offline Find More Posts by pitchp
Old Nov 17, 2010, 05:18 PM
No Longer Active
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
I am having issues with my tail twitching. It looks like a tail with a few teeth missing off the belt but mine is TT. This started after a crash last week. So last night I replaced all the gears to the tail and put a new TT in it. I also put 3 TT bearing to make sure it being held straight. Its smooth as glass. Now I throttle up and the twitch is still there. I took the main blades off and the twitch is still there.
I replaced the aluminum head, cap, main shaft, feathering shaft, main blades, flybar, and flybar paddles. Oh and a gear set on the aileron servo.(the crash was only from 2ft off the ground and I killed all that )

I am going to change the tail blades to see if that does anything. I guess I can undo the head completely and spin her up and see what it does.

check your pinion, make sure it's not coming loose from the shaft
Old Nov 17, 2010, 05:21 PM
No Longer Active
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic k2 View Post
I will upload some inverted nose in and touching the floor with the blades for you tonight dude,,takes ages for me to upload though,,as for sim speed i only fly 100 percent,dont see it as cheating if you slow it down but i think it will ruin your heli skils,,i fly 500 in phoenix the other day and then went back to the 450 and it was a right handfull as my brain had slowed down for the 500,wont do it again lol,as for normal nose in it really isnt hard its just your not used to it,,in a few weeks you wont remember what all the fuss was about,,i couldnt do inverted but im getting my fingers around it,,its not perfect by any means but it is starting to feel quite controlable,
yeap, tell me about it. and I'm doing it with a 250, she just goes all over the place
Old Nov 17, 2010, 05:36 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
Joined Oct 2007
16,433 Posts
Quote:
check your pinion, make sure it's not coming loose from the shaft
Will do
Old Nov 17, 2010, 08:11 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post

Are you running a Castle ESC?
There is quite a big jump in them from just under full power to full power.
So if you are at the point where it is transitioning to full power the tail will twitch as it jumps up and down.
Doesn't matter if you are in governor mode or not, the step is there.
You can tell you are at that point if the light goes back and forth between solid and flashing.

Solution is to either go up in throttle so you are always at 100% power, or go down so you are well away from it.

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Nov 17, 2010, 08:40 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
Joined Oct 2007
16,433 Posts
I took the head off and the tail was solid. No twitching. I put the dampener plate on the gyro too and hooked the head back up and put the blades back on. Now the tail holds solid in normal mode and idle up 1 but at 100% throttle in idle up 2 the vibe is still there(not as bad so now I know its a vibration issues in the head) I put new flybar paddles on too after the crash. So I will put another set on and see how that goes.

Oh the pinion was tight!

I really need to get a good scale that weighs down to the hundredths of a gram so I can make sure everything is perfect