HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Mar 08, 2011, 01:06 AM
Registered User
Danmark, Syddanmark, Sřnderborg
Joined Sep 2008
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic k2 View Post
That 70a esc is gonna be quite a lump dude,not sure what most are using here but im sure 50 amp esc is plenty ,depends on the design of the one you have though as some can be massive with heat sink when going to 70 or 80 amp size.
I'm only using it cause the 50 amp from hobbyking i got did not worked.

Will be changing soon.
DK-Bas is offline Find More Posts by DK-Bas
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2011, 02:41 AM
Registered User
UK, North Down, Bangor
Joined Nov 2009
1,593 Posts
Had the 450GT out to show it off to my mate and his kids. Trouble was I had to take off from long grass. Found a spot where it was mostly clover/shamrock and managed to get it into the air after an aborted take off due to some grass hanging onto the tail fin.

Landing I hovered at about 2 feet, cut the throttle and tried to get rid of as much blade energy before it touched down. It bounced back up once, then landed but the tail rotor got snagged and I heard the sounds of my belt slipping, grinding. Then the whole heli fell over.

Not so worried about the tip over, but do you think the tail belt will be okay to fly?

I spun it up again and it seemed fine, but would you fly it again?
venquessa is offline Find More Posts by venquessa
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 08, 2011, 04:47 AM
Things that do fly
Magic k2's Avatar
In my house ;-) The uk
Joined Dec 2008
2,710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DK-Bas View Post
I'm only using it cause the 50 amp from hobbyking i got did not worked.

Will be changing soon.
Some esc wont work without a bec as they dont give power to the rx so the rx has no reception ,just as if you have not turned on your TX.it will be marked on the esc as a voltage,prob 5v.
Magic k2 is offline Find More Posts by Magic k2
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 08, 2011, 04:52 AM
Things that do fly
Magic k2's Avatar
In my house ;-) The uk
Joined Dec 2008
2,710 Posts
Another thing about the weight of your bird is what blades are you using? they are all quite different,wood,cf,fiberglass.some with metal weights also.
Magic k2 is offline Find More Posts by Magic k2
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 08, 2011, 05:06 AM
Yes, I know it's upside down.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
3,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by venquessa View Post
Had the 450GT out to show it off to my mate and his kids. Trouble was I had to take off from long grass. Found a spot where it was mostly clover/shamrock and managed to get it into the air after an aborted take off due to some grass hanging onto the tail fin.

Landing I hovered at about 2 feet, cut the throttle and tried to get rid of as much blade energy before it touched down. It bounced back up once, then landed but the tail rotor got snagged and I heard the sounds of my belt slipping, grinding. Then the whole heli fell over.

Not so worried about the tip over, but do you think the tail belt will be okay to fly?

I spun it up again and it seemed fine, but would you fly it again?
Personally, I'd pull it out and look over it carefully. If all the teeth look okay, and there was no other apparant damage, I'd be happy to fly it again. I've flown main gear that had a ridiculous number of teeth totally stripped just because I wanted to see if it would work. Hovered okay, but you could hear the gears slipping, and it would not have lasted long. The point is, you hear these things slippping and skipping well before they can't fly anymore. It's not like a timing belt in a car that's going to destroy the engine if it slips a tooth.

Then again, after a crash I straighten the boom, main shaft, blade grips, flybar, and anything else that I can salvage. Main gear and blades is pretty much all I ever replace.
Harrow is offline Find More Posts by Harrow
Last edited by Harrow; Mar 08, 2011 at 05:17 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 08, 2011, 07:42 AM
Looptastic!
sp00fman's Avatar
Enschede, Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,264 Posts
I often get the tail jammed with landing in the grass. I keep belt tension low so it slips without damage. I do check everytime if there are no lost teeth on the belt. Ive flown and crashed loads, but only replaced one tailbelt as it was getting a bit to easy to make it jump teeth.
sp00fman is offline Find More Posts by sp00fman
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 08, 2011, 09:07 AM
Registered User
UK, North Down, Bangor
Joined Nov 2009
1,593 Posts
Thanks guys. My belt tension is quite lose anyway, I can "tick" it by hand without much force, yet it does rapid piros without issue.

Open issues I do have are:

* Occasional wags in FFF, suspecting 1% too much gain.
* 3-8 ticks of left trim required after gyro HH reset, suspecting HK401b normallity
* Slow cyclic rate and less than amazing pitch response. Suspected cause - Superbrain governor in "Low" setting, should be high and Swash AFT needs raised.

Still it's flying fine, I just need to get back into it properly and get some good flight time again.
venquessa is offline Find More Posts by venquessa
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 08, 2011, 10:03 AM
just gotta mess with it!
2Doggs's Avatar
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by venquessa View Post
Thanks guys. My belt tension is quite lose anyway, I can "tick" it by hand without much force, yet it does rapid piros without issue.

Open issues I do have are:

* Occasional wags in FFF, suspecting 1% too much gain.
* 3-8 ticks of left trim required after gyro HH reset, suspecting HK401b normallity
Have you set the gyro up in rate mode? That can help, but it does sound like a bit of drift in the gyro. Make sure it's mounted dead square to the heli too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by venquessa View Post
* Slow cyclic rate and less than amazing pitch response. Suspected cause - Superbrain governor in "Low" setting, should be high and Swash AFT needs raised.
I don't find much difference between the SB low and high modes on my 450, they give the same rpm but high mode seems to hold the rpm a bit better, looking at the logs. 85% seems to work best, so I use that for stunt 2, and 80% for stunt 1 and normal. My motor works more smoothly with the PWM set to 16KHz too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venquessa View Post
Still it's flying fine, I just need to get back into it properly and get some good flight time again.
Sounds like you also need a lawn mower or a take-off and landing mat!
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 08, 2011, 01:22 PM
The New Guy
fatalsync's Avatar
USA, TX, College Station
Joined Oct 2010
134 Posts
This looks like it might be compatible with the HK 450MT...

http://www.ac-rc.com/product_info.ph...a3kcqtai5aenr0

What do you guys think?
fatalsync is offline Find More Posts by fatalsync
Last edited by fatalsync; Mar 08, 2011 at 01:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 08, 2011, 01:33 PM
just gotta mess with it!
2Doggs's Avatar
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,658 Posts
yes, that's Tarot stuff, a clone brand, supposedly made by another manufacturer rather than Skya, who make the HK and exi clones. I found ac-rc shipping charges to be prohibitive though.
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 08, 2011, 01:49 PM
Registered User
UK, North Down, Bangor
Joined Nov 2009
1,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs View Post
Have you set the gyro up in rate mode? That can help, but it does sound like a bit of drift in the gyro. Make sure it's mounted dead square to the heli too.
I used to do that, never made any difference, I always got "some" drift. Now I just centre the tail servo/blades, throw the gyro on and fly.

There could be other issues, for example the gyro is on with a battery strap. I have double sided foam and a PCI Card blanking plate, I just haven't bothered to fit it yet

Square on shouldn't matter... but then again the HK401 is a little mental. I wouldn't be surprised if talking to it, like a plant would make it behave differently!

Quote:
I don't find much difference between the SB low and high modes on my 450, they give the same rpm but high mode seems to hold the rpm a bit better, looking at the logs. 85% seems to work best, so I use that for stunt 2, and 80% for stunt 1 and normal. My motor works more smoothly with the PWM set to 16KHz too.
Interesting. I have "classic" curves.
0-40-60-80-100
100-80-70-80-100

But with the governor I tend not to hear any change in RPM.

Might upgrade to a new pinnion. I think this is an 11T. I do have a 12 and a 13 somewhere, but I did have the 13 on the GT originally with a TP40A ESC, but it was a little scary to be around!

Quote:
Sounds like you also need a lawn mower or a take-off and landing mat!
My mate asked, "Can you not take off from the box.", meaning the vyinl flight case, before I answered I was thinking... "can I land there but?"

Take off from the flight case.... yes, but it would need to be an express affair before the hele slide about on it, fouled on the edge guard and fell over.

Land... Sounds like a challenge. Wasn't in the mood, I want to avoid building another heli for a while
venquessa is offline Find More Posts by venquessa
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 08, 2011, 02:49 PM
The New Guy
fatalsync's Avatar
USA, TX, College Station
Joined Oct 2010
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatalsync View Post
This looks like it might be compatible with the HK 450MT...

http://www.ac-rc.com/product_info.ph...a3kcqtai5aenr0

What do you guys think?
I was more speaking about the mechanical compatibility since this is one of the parts that is supposedly not Align compatible.

$3 for Registered Air Mail (for just this part).
fatalsync is offline Find More Posts by fatalsync
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 08, 2011, 03:09 PM
AMA# 548800
jombo's Avatar
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
5,057 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by venquessa View Post
Land... Sounds like a challenge. Wasn't in the mood, I want to avoid building another heli for a while
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 08, 2011, 04:04 PM
just gotta mess with it!
2Doggs's Avatar
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatalsync View Post
I was more speaking about the mechanical compatibility since this is one of the parts that is supposedly not Align compatible.

$3 for Registered Air Mail (for just this part).
The metal boom block shown in the link is described as being Trex compatible so you should be fine. The belt-drive parts on the HK450 Pro are not Trex compatible, since to the best of my knowledge Align don't do a belt-drive Pro. Personally, I'm happy with the plastic block - after all there are no moving parts, so the metal one is just heavier. For me, the biggest failing of the Trex designs is the sloppy tail pitch arrangement - I'd prefer to see a forked arm which would take out a lot of the slop. I may have to revisit the ac-rc site. When I put together an $8 order a while back, the shipping estimate was $16, which made it nonviable.
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 08, 2011, 07:53 PM
as much as I can
beenflying's Avatar
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs View Post
yes, that's Tarot stuff, a clone brand, supposedly made by another manufacturer rather than Skya, who make the HK and exi clones. I found ac-rc shipping charges to be prohibitive though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatalsync View Post
I was more speaking about the mechanical compatibility since this is one of the parts that is supposedly not Align compatible.

$3 for Registered Air Mail (for just this part).
Allan at AC-RC has a true cost to ship refund policy, and he is very honest. I have purchased quite a lot from him and he's always refunded a percentage of the shipping cost.

Of course blades and tail booms push the shipping price up, because of there size.

BTW, that part in metal is a waste if you ask me. The plastic one is more than strong enough and much lighter.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Last edited by beenflying; Mar 08, 2011 at 08:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion 450 HK with Futaba EX radio and 3114 FASST servos SLOPPY? PaulGT3 Mini Helis 9 Sep 02, 2013 05:10 PM
Sold HK 450 head/tail/frame/canopy/motor - $20 shipped RobDog Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 5 Nov 09, 2010 10:07 AM
Discussion Vendo HK 450 com Radio HK 7canais baratoooo !!! nino_sdk Brazil 0 Jul 26, 2010 08:42 PM
For Sale hk 450, exi 450 or copterx 450 HeliStyle Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 5 May 15, 2010 11:57 AM
Help! HK 450 or HK 600 kilo2018 Beginner Training Area (Heli-Electric) 21 Feb 25, 2010 12:48 PM