HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 03, 2011, 11:10 AM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abletowinginc View Post
thats for the h series esc not the ss series. the parameters in the manual you sent dont even match what the description says are programmable on the site.
this one might help?

http://www.graysonhobby.com/grayson-50A_manual.pdf

but the reviews on HC seem to indicate it can't be programmed.

maybe this one

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...6X38527X14.pdf
rocketscience is offline Find More Posts by rocketscience
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2011, 11:41 AM
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
4,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abletowinginc View Post
thats for the h series esc not the ss series. the parameters in the manual you sent dont even match what the description says are programmable on the site.
i just followed your link to their files to program

there are 2 type of SS series , programmable or limited programable . if it dosent say programable on the esc you wont be able to do it , i know i got both sets
jombo is online now Find More Posts by jombo
Old Mar 03, 2011, 12:14 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketscience View Post
It's not about total pitch range or 45 degrees (to some extent - a 401b would be very uneven).
No, the 45 degree thing is a separate issue, perhaps - but what I'm trying to say is that there is a limit to how much tail pitch you can use - so having a shaft that's long enough to go over 45 degrees will be pointless, since the blades will stall, and you will get very poor, mushy stops.

Quote:
It doesn't really matter if the tailbox itself is wider because everthing is still referenced from the right side of the tailbox. i.e. that's where the tail pitch arm is mounted and where the usable portion of the tail shaft starts.
Actually it does matter, in fact it's vital. As you say, the tail pitch arm fixes to the right side of the tail gearbox. Therefore, if you have the same pitch arm, you need the same amount of tail rotor shaft projecting out of the tail gearbox. On my belt-drive HK 450 Pro, with the tail pitch arm at 90 degrees to the boom, there is about 8 degrees of pitch effectively balancing the torque reaction.

You say that on the TT, the pitch is in the wrong direction - i.e. pulling the heli nose to the left with torque reaction, making things worse. Well, if I set my tail rotor hub in on the shaft I can replicate that exactly. The length of the projecting part of the tail rotor shaft from the gearbox is what's important, and on the belt-drive, it's about 1.15".

Quote:
But imagine this.. the tail shaft is longer (I have not measured it). The pitch arm is the same - here lies the issue. what happens? you center the pitch slider which means it moves out to the right more. On a normal setup this means your nose points left more. in the direction of torque. To counter this you flip the grips so moving the slider to the right pitches the blades in the opposite direction. against main blade torque. i.e. nose right.

It's hard to see unless you set up the Pro TT. Then it becomes (painfully) obvious. And again if you have a decent gyro it really doesn't matter unless you're anal retentive like most of us and you like things symmetrical.
It's not hard to see at all. The TT tail rotor shaft sounds like it's the same length as the one used on the belt-drive, so it's effectively too short. That puts the hub too close to the pitch arm and gearbox, meaning the tail pitch is the wrong way when you set the pitch arm up properly, and you can get around it by flipping the grips.

But I would still like to get a measurement of the TT tail rotor shaft and gearbox width to confirm my suspicions, because an inevitable consequence of a shorter (projecting part of) tail rotor shaft is a reduced total pitch range for the tail - so the belt drive tail may potentially be stronger than the TT. Wouldn't that be a shocker!
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Mar 03, 2011, 02:12 PM
USA, ME, Caribou
Joined Nov 2006
181 Posts
I am going to have to do the mod on my pro. I just scored a used TRex pro with CF tail... Never run TT before.. Should be interesting. Can't wait for it to get here.
maineflyer1 is offline Find More Posts by maineflyer1
Old Mar 03, 2011, 02:30 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,597 Posts
Hey when you do get it, run some calipers over the tail gearbox and tail rotor shaft - since rocketscience obviously doesn't want to - zen ve can haf der final solution!
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 03, 2011, 02:53 PM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs View Post
Hey when you do get it, run some calipers over the tail gearbox and tail rotor shaft - since rocketscience obviously doesn't want to - zen ve can haf der final solution!
It's not that I don't want to.. there's simply no need. It flies either way. You can set it up any which way you like, but in the end what does it really matter? If you don't want to go over 45 degrees of pitch, limit it using the gyro. simple.
Old Mar 03, 2011, 02:55 PM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,235 Posts
Quote:

Actually it does matter, in fact it's vital. As you say, the tail pitch arm fixes to the right side of the tail gearbox. Therefore, if you have the same pitch arm, you need the same amount of tail rotor shaft projecting out of the tail gearbox.
Which depends not at all on the width of the tail box itself. We're saying the same thing.
Old Mar 03, 2011, 03:00 PM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,235 Posts
Quote:
But I would still like to get a measurement of the TT tail rotor shaft and gearbox width to confirm my suspicions, because an inevitable consequence of a shorter (projecting part of) tail rotor shaft is a reduced total pitch range for the tail - so the belt drive tail may potentially be stronger than the TT. Wouldn't that be a shocker!
The issue here is communication. When I say length of tail shaft, since the part of the shaft in the tail box doesn't matter - seriously it doesn't.. I'm only concerned with the part sticking out. I can walk over to my helis and easily measure it. But you're right, I won't. Because both my belt and my TT fly just fine. I don't need to know if it's 1 or 2 or 5 mm longer. And since I can't change it without some modification - whatever the length is - I deal with it just fine.

seriously. there is no "solution". The 'pro' pilots fly the TT stock I'm sure. Ppl fly it fine reversing the grips too. It's just all personal preference.
Old Mar 03, 2011, 03:02 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,597 Posts
Quote:
Which depends not at all on the width of the tail box itself. We're saying the same thing.
Ah, so that's what you're missing! If the tail rotor shafts are the same length, and the TT gearbox is wider, it's obvious that the part of the shaft that sticks out of the gearbox will be shorter for the TT. That's all, no need to labor the point too much.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 03, 2011, 03:10 PM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,235 Posts
Quote:
That's all, no need to labor the point too much.
I totally agree.. I'd rather spend the time flying!
Old Mar 03, 2011, 03:33 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,597 Posts
Quote:
I totally agree.. I'd rather spend the time flying!
But being up there in the Windy City maybe you need a 700e!
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 03, 2011, 07:05 PM
USA, ME, Caribou
Joined Nov 2006
181 Posts
I am debating on getting rid of a V2 CF clone now.. 3 450s is 1 too many... May have to list it with all the V2 stuff I have. How do you guys like the HK pro so far?
maineflyer1 is offline Find More Posts by maineflyer1
Old Mar 03, 2011, 07:18 PM
Looptastic!
Enschede, Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,185 Posts
the prices they offer for a used (clone) heli are so pathetic you might as well just give it away to someone you know might like it.
sp00fman is offline Find More Posts by sp00fman
Old Mar 03, 2011, 07:18 PM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,235 Posts
Quote:
But being up there in the Windy City maybe you need a 700e!
I certainly don't refuse generous gifts.
Old Mar 03, 2011, 07:19 PM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineflyer1 View Post
I am debating on getting rid of a V2 CF clone now.. 3 450s is 1 too many... May have to list it with all the V2 stuff I have. How do you guys like the HK pro so far?
I used to have 5. sold a few bought a couple. Now I have a v2, 1 pro, 1 stretched pro. I should have kept a v2 for a scale fuselage.