HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 16, 2010, 03:22 AM
Registered User
Sweden
Joined Jan 2010
567 Posts
Funny thing is that the cheap t9x does not channel-hop, but is spread-spectrum with the included rx/tx module.

Buy two if you are worried about Q/C and use the one that works best
sandos is offline Find More Posts by sandos
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2010, 04:01 AM
No Longer Active
pitchp's Avatar
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aracer View Post
Only if you have lots of spare money and plan to spend lots of it in the long run. Bearing in mind we're in a thread discussing helis where you can get a complete kit for $10. I've still not seen any suggestions for alternative RXs at anywhere close to the price of $23 for an Orange satellite set up (let alone $8 for a single RX), nor for a computer radio comparable in price and capability to a DX6i for those of us on a real budget. I certainly don't have $2.5k spare to spend - those who's only financial consideration is sneaking it past the spouse aren't in quite the same marketplace.
I see RB's point of view, and I kinda agree on his point, but I have seen people fork out big $$$ in this hobby only to give it up with in less than 2 years. I've seen them buy futaba TX, with the latest Raptors, then they bling it out. They hardly fly it, because they were always to scared to crash it. And I have seen people like me and you, who splurges on the cheap, but gets heaps of air time with heaps of crashes, and still loving the hobby. So with that in mind. I have no frikkin clue what I'm talking about, all I know is I use the cheap walkera 2801 TX v1, and I still haven't learnt how to use it to the full potential. I still need to learn Pmixes. But anyway I crashed today, I hit a tree, doing a nose in hover. My fault, I'm preety sure the tree didn't jump infront of my heli, but luckily it wasn't a raptor, just a cheap $20 250 plastic clone. I crash on the sim aswell. Ijust can't wait to lower my crash rate. Then I'll move up in the scale. I'm very happy that i took this route, instead of going out all big, as what most people recommend. So I agree with you in a way aswell. This hobby luckily facilitates all kinds of people with different needs. And I hope it will never change.
pitchp is offline Find More Posts by pitchp
Last edited by pitchp; Nov 16, 2010 at 04:12 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 05:45 AM
Registered User
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jombo View Post
also instead of the hk mg servos get the corona digital 919 servos . the coronas are better
Might be, but I find them rather jerky at least compared to a GWS Naro D servo. I run both on my high tech $5 servo tester from HK at slow cycling speed and the difference in smoothness was obvious.

Fred
flarssen is offline Find More Posts by flarssen
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 07:59 AM
AMA# 548800
jombo's Avatar
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
4,872 Posts
they might be jerky for someone using better servos already , but i am replacing my htx900 with the corona 919 and setup is alot faster since these servos move alot smoother . i have had gws servos and the ones i had didnt work with a gyro for some reason , then the manufacturer cam on this site and said there was a problem . i wont use the gws anymore since then and tend to stay away . so far out of 21 corona 919 i have 2 that buzzed too much for my tast and am using them as spare parts for the others i have . i like them , sometimes you get one that is bad but for a 5.00 digital mg servo i can deal with it .
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 09:11 AM
Things that do fly
Magic k2's Avatar
In my house ;-) The uk
Joined Dec 2008
2,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aracer View Post
Only if you have lots of spare money and plan to spend lots of it in the long run. Bearing in mind we're in a thread discussing helis where you can get a complete kit for $10. I've still not seen any suggestions for alternative RXs at anywhere close to the price of $23 for an Orange satellite set up (let alone $8 for a single RX), nor for a computer radio comparable in price and capability to a DX6i for those of us on a real budget. I certainly don't have $2.5k spare to spend - those who's only financial consideration is sneaking it past the spouse aren't in quite the same marketplace.
I picked up a futaba 6exp tx for £60.00 on ebay and used it on my planes for a while and then converted it over to 2.4ghz when i came to helis,i use the flydream conversion kit for the futaba ,its very cheap,the rx is cheap and solid reception,not 1 single twitch since it was fitted it has failsafe and channel hop so its got all bells and whistles and if you change your tx you just slip the kit into the new tx and leave the rx as they are in your models.
Magic k2 is offline Find More Posts by Magic k2
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 09:16 AM
Things that do fly
Magic k2's Avatar
In my house ;-) The uk
Joined Dec 2008
2,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchp View Post
I see RB's point of view, and I kinda agree on his point, but I have seen people fork out big $$$ in this hobby only to give it up with in less than 2 years. I've seen them buy futaba TX, with the latest Raptors, then they bling it out. They hardly fly it, because they were always to scared to crash it. And I have seen people like me and you, who splurges on the cheap, but gets heaps of air time with heaps of crashes, and still loving the hobby. So with that in mind. I have no frikkin clue what I'm talking about, all I know is I use the cheap walkera 2801 TX v1, and I still haven't learnt how to use it to the full potential. I still need to learn Pmixes. But anyway I crashed today, I hit a tree, doing a nose in hover. My fault, I'm preety sure the tree didn't jump infront of my heli, but luckily it wasn't a raptor, just a cheap $20 250 plastic clone. I crash on the sim aswell. Ijust can't wait to lower my crash rate. Then I'll move up in the scale. I'm very happy that i took this route, instead of going out all big, as what most people recommend. So I agree with you in a way aswell. This hobby luckily facilitates all kinds of people with different needs. And I hope it will never change.
Ur funny dude,,we was talking the other day and you were saying how you gonna knuckle down with the sim and get them nose ins down,,,,then you bust out all these new 3d moves added to your your pyro flips that you do with your eyes shut ,,,and then,,,,,hit a kin tree doing a nose in hover lol,,,,,tell me some more dude i love it
Magic k2 is offline Find More Posts by Magic k2
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 09:32 AM
Registered User
UK, North Down, Bangor
Joined Nov 2009
1,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandos View Post
Im guessing the old thread somehow is inefficient with the software? Are they really removing it?
As all these forums I have worked with use a simple 1 to many relationship like:

Board->Forums[*]->Threads[*]->Posts

Then posts take up DB room no matter what thread they are in. So a 1000 post thread takes up roughly the same room as 10 100 post threads.

However. Storage is probably not the concern.

It will take (potentially) 10 times the resources to search a 1000 post thread than a 100 post thread.

There are probably other issues with any reporting, auditing etc. etc.

Paul
venquessa is offline Find More Posts by venquessa
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 09:44 AM
No Longer Active
pitchp's Avatar
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic k2 View Post
Ur funny dude,,we was talking the other day and you were saying how you gonna knuckle down with the sim and get them nose ins down,,,,then you bust out all these new 3d moves added to your your pyro flips that you do with your eyes shut ,,,and then,,,,,hit a kin tree doing a nose in hover lol,,,,,tell me some more dude i love it
lol tell me about it MK. it wasn't one of my proudest moments, if you know what i mean.
pitchp is offline Find More Posts by pitchp
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 10:22 AM
Registered User
UK, Hereford and Worcester, Worcester
Joined Feb 2009
634 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic k2 View Post
I picked up a futaba 6exp tx for £60.00 on ebay and used it on my planes for a while and then converted it over to 2.4ghz when i came to helis,i use the flydream conversion kit for the futaba ,its very cheap,the rx is cheap and solid reception,not 1 single twitch since it was fitted it has failsafe and channel hop so its got all bells and whistles and if you change your tx you just slip the kit into the new tx and leave the rx as they are in your models.
Given that's also DSSS, I'm also struggling to see the advantage of that over Spektrum.

OK, so I'm probably trolling a bit here as I already own Walkera helis and a Spektrum plane (with a cheap TX), and likely to buy more of both, so realistically I suspect I'll end up with both a DX6i and a 2801 at some point, the merits of any other system being outweighed by the need for compatibility - unless anybody knows of a TX for which you can get Spektrum and WK modules
aracer is offline Find More Posts by aracer
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 11:27 AM
Resident Skeptican
Barak1001's Avatar
USA, AL, Hanceville
Joined May 2008
4,323 Posts
The Flydream kit he's referring to has $21 8 channel receivers. It's the same cost for a 6 and 8 channel receiver on that system. Thus the reason to consider it.
Now let's look at your dx6i that you keep promoting. The minimum channels you'll need to fly your helicopter with remote gain are 6. That means you don't have a single channel open for a transmitter controlled light kit, a stabilization system, retracts, etc. If you ever do need an extra channel you'll have to sell that dx6i at a loss and buy another radio. Though you may not see the need to ever use anything but a 6 channel radio, other people have other needs. To me, it makes more sense to buy a better radio with more channels initially than to waste money on something you know that eventually you're going to have to replace.

You may not look at things the same way. I bought a DX7 when I first got into the hobby, I was talked into it by the vast majority of Spektrum users that frequented the coaxial forums. Now that I know a bit more about DSSS vs FHSS I wish I hadn't gotten the DX7.

Edit:

The FlyDream are not DSSS, they are FHSS.

http://www.fd-rc.com/en/product.php?sid=15
Barak1001 is offline Find More Posts by Barak1001
Last edited by Barak1001; Nov 16, 2010 at 12:59 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 01:59 PM
Not a six pack
rocketscience's Avatar
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandos View Post
Funny thing is that the cheap t9x does not channel-hop, but is spread-spectrum with the included rx/tx module.

Buy two if you are worried about Q/C and use the one that works best
I have one of the originals. Quality was hit or miss, but I ended up with a good one and for $12 (v1) and even cheaper (v2) rx's it's hard to beat. 8ch rx's are really cheap too. And it worked great. A few functional limitations but signal wise never had any problems.
rocketscience is offline Find More Posts by rocketscience
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 02:03 PM
Just thumbing through...
victapilot's Avatar
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketscience View Post
I have one of the originals. Quality was hit or miss, but I ended up with a good one and for $12 (v1) and even cheaper (v2) rx's it's hard to beat. 8ch rx's are really cheap too. And it worked great. A few functional limitations but signal wise never had any problems.
I use the original V1 version of this. I guess that's what you have. More than adequate for my helis. No expo is the main downer, but range is fine, even without the secondary receiver.
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 03:05 PM
Registered User
UK, Hereford and Worcester, Worcester
Joined Feb 2009
634 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barak1001 View Post
Now let's look at your dx6i that you keep promoting.
Given I don't own one (yet) and have no affiliation at all with Horizon, it's more a case that I'm asking why when I'm on a budget (not a spouse imposed one, but a far harder one) I need to spend far more on something different.
Quote:
If you ever do need an extra channel you'll have to sell that dx6i at a loss and buy another radio.
So I lose £20 or £30 on it - not really that big a deal if I get to the point of the hobby where I want all that stuff I need more than 6 channels for, given how much I'd be spending at that point. Mind you I did also mention the idea of getting a 2801 up there - I could just use that instead if I wanted more than 6
Quote:
Though you may not see the need to ever use anything but a 6 channel radio, other people have other needs. To me, it makes more sense to buy a better radio with more channels initially than to waste money on something you know that eventually you're going to have to replace.
Likewise. You might need all those channels and features, but some of us just want to fly basic stuff as cheaply as possible. It doesn't make any sense at all to me to spend lots more money on features I suspect I'll probably never need - that would be far more of a waste. Even looking at it pragmatically, given the pace of technology and the decreasing prices, there's got to be an even chance that by the time I did want more than 6 channels the price of more sophisticated kit had dropped by more than I'd lose selling a dx6i - that or I'd actually want something more modern than the old kit you'd be stuck with (or maybe I could buy your "old" 8 channel radio when you move onto something better?)

Maybe I need to remind you again what thread we're on - it's a thread about the very cheapest CP heli kit (the only possible cheaper way to get into the air with a CP being with a Walkera RTF). In that case, why isn't trying to spend as little money on the hobby as possible a quite reasonable thing to do?

I probably also need to quote the original thing I picked up on back at you:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barak1001 View Post
$15? That makes the total cost for the receiver and satellite $30. If I were going to pay that much for a receiver I'd just go to an FHSS system.
I just don't get it - you're complaining about a rx with satellite being a whopping $23, yet telling me I should spend far, far more than that on the difference between a DX6i and something else?

Quote:
Now that I know a bit more about DSSS vs FHSS I wish I hadn't gotten the DX7.
You do realise that it is largely a theoretical advantage rather than a practical one for all except a tiny minority of fliers?

Quote:
The FlyDream are not DSSS, they are FHSS.
Maybe:
http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/flydreamv3review2.shtml suggests it's not necessarily quite the same thing as others mean by FHSS (apologies I looked at a review for V2 FkyDream before, which is DSSS). Admittedly that would be a very interesting option for me, were it not that I'm interested in planes which come PnP with Spektrum, and micro planes where an AR6400 is a very handy option. Not to forget the availability of $8 rxs for parkfliers and cheapy lash together jobs - opens up the possibilities of putting 2.4G rc into all sorts of stuff you wouldn't otherwise consider (I'm seriously thinking about converting some of my son's toy vehicles currently on 27MHz!) That and as I say, I'm less than convinced about the real practical advantages of something other than Spektrum for the flying I want to do.
aracer is offline Find More Posts by aracer
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 04:42 PM
Things that do fly
Magic k2's Avatar
In my house ;-) The uk
Joined Dec 2008
2,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aracer View Post
Given that's also DSSS, I'm also struggling to see the advantage of that over Spektrum.

OK, so I'm probably trolling a bit here as I already own Walkera helis and a Spektrum plane (with a cheap TX), and likely to buy more of both, so realistically I suspect I'll end up with both a DX6i and a 2801 at some point, the merits of any other system being outweighed by the need for compatibility - unless anybody knows of a TX for which you can get Spektrum and WK modules
The point that im trying to make that everbody skips past is that the flydream kit can be put into any tx that you buy,,,so you are not restricted to one make tx,,,you buy the kit and fit all the recievers in your models and if you then want the latest tx with god knows what in its great brain you just slip the fd kit into the new tx and never have to change another reciever again as it stays flydream,,,many people like my self fly on a tight budget and the reason i took so long to cross over to 2.4ghz was the price of recievers as well as a new tx,,i found a great product in flydream that does a great job,,if in the future i change my tx i dont have to shop with reciever prices in mind,,and am not put off by changing all my recievers as i wont need to,,,fd will bring out more recievers out soon with more chans on them also i think.perfect product oh ye and fd is chan hop.
Magic k2 is offline Find More Posts by Magic k2
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 04:43 PM
Resident Skeptican
Barak1001's Avatar
USA, AL, Hanceville
Joined May 2008
4,323 Posts
The cost of a DX6i with an AR6200 receiver is $200 per Horizon Hobby's site.
The cost of an RDS8000 with an 8 channel receiver is $200 per Airtronic's site.

8 channel RDS8000 is superior to 6 channel DX6i for the same cost. Understand my thinking now?

As far as the cost of the satellite on HK, it bothers me that they want more for the unit than the cost of the original receiver.

Edit:

Do some research on DSSS vs FHSS. The benefit isn't theoretical.
Barak1001 is offline Find More Posts by Barak1001
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion 450 HK with Futaba EX radio and 3114 FASST servos SLOPPY? PaulGT3 Mini Helis 9 Sep 02, 2013 05:10 PM
Sold HK 450 head/tail/frame/canopy/motor - $20 shipped RobDog Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 5 Nov 09, 2010 10:07 AM
Discussion Vendo HK 450 com Radio HK 7canais baratoooo !!! nino_sdk Brazil 0 Jul 26, 2010 08:42 PM
For Sale hk 450, exi 450 or copterx 450 HeliStyle Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 5 May 15, 2010 11:57 AM
Help! HK 450 or HK 600 kilo2018 Beginner Training Area (Heli-Electric) 21 Feb 25, 2010 12:48 PM