Joined Nov 2002
1,280 Posts
Those Berkely guys, always predicting a bear market
madsci_guy is offline Find More Posts by madsci_guy
Old Nov 09, 2010, 11:26 AM
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
1,061 Posts
I've little doubt there is a measure of truth to the conclusion. Between labor unions and our health care model, industry is fleeing the encumbrances and our politicians can't fix either issue because of the political divide.
AA5BY is offline Find More Posts by AA5BY
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red
Old Nov 09, 2010, 11:39 AM
Joined Oct 2005
659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA5BY View Post
I've little doubt there is a measure of truth to the conclusion. Between labor unions and our health care model, industry is fleeing the encumbrances and our politicians can't fix either issue because of the political divide.
industry is not "fleeing." The manufacturing base of our industry has already
fled to the offshore manufacturing platforms (Chindia and the likes of them).
And this flight was engineered by industry itself (after all, our politicians
didn't one day wake up and thought of "globalisation" and how it can be
put to work for increasing the profit margin of corporations).
peterp1964 is offline Find More Posts by peterp1964
Old Nov 09, 2010, 11:43 AM
Cat Rack
Lyle, WA
Joined Dec 2000
1,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA5BY View Post
The 'fix' is to stop interfering with industry and markets, concentrate on policing theft and fraud, and provide a reason for actual innovation to stay here.

It is not 'fixing' anything to impose ever more political decisions from people not equipped to make valid market decisions.
MtnGoat is offline Find More Posts by MtnGoat
Old Nov 09, 2010, 11:58 AM
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
1,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat View Post
The 'fix' is to stop interfering with industry and markets, concentrate on policing theft and fraud, and provide a reason for actual innovation to stay here.

It is not 'fixing' anything to impose ever more political decisions from people not equipped to make valid market decisions.
You've a right to your opinion... mine is that unrestricted markets of essential services are free to practice unlimited greed, and do.
AA5BY is offline Find More Posts by AA5BY
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red
Old Nov 09, 2010, 12:04 PM
Cat Rack
Lyle, WA
Joined Dec 2000
1,478 Posts
How can they practice 'unlimited' greed .....when they are limited by the rights of other individuals and the amount of money they are willing to trade?

Which politicians are free of greed?
Old Nov 09, 2010, 12:09 PM
Alarm Bells Continuing!
Arizona
Joined Oct 2001
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterp1964 View Post
And this flight was engineered by industry itself (after all, our politicians didn't one day wake up and thought of "globalisation" and how it can be put to work for increasing the profit margin of corporations).
Have you sent a note of rebuke to your folk Obama? Yesterday, in India:
Quote:
"Together we can resist the protectionism that stifles growth and innovation. The United States remains--and will continue to remain--one of the most open economies in the world. By opening markets and reducing barriers to foreign investment, India can realize its full economic potential as well."
Big Foot 48 is offline Find More Posts by Big Foot 48
Old Nov 09, 2010, 01:25 PM
Radix malorum est cupiditas
Joined Jul 2000
460 Posts
Earlier this year, the Economist had an extensive report on Germany that I thought was interesting - http://www.economist.com/node/156410...ry_id=15641021 (only 5 sections are free per week without subscribing)

I have been interested in how Germany has been able to maintain it's manufacturing/export economy against the forces of globalization - do they use tariffs to protect markets?, how do they avoid trade conflict, effects on wage rates, etc. Germany would seem to be a good comparator as an example of how to maintain wage rates against foreign competition.

This series touches on the factors that have worked so far and is worth a read.

My main take-aways

Germany does not tie long term liabilities to companies - healthcare and pensions are mostly pay as you go and held outside the balance sheet of companies ( established companies are on a more equal footing with imports or new market entrants ). Unions can focus on competitiveness and worker jobs rather than security and retiree benefits as is the case in large US manufacturing unions. Germany has been in a good market position by focusing on the manufacturing support industries - well aligned with the rise of China, India, Brazil, etc. - kind of like focusing on selling jeans and shovels during a gold rush - so they are less effected by intense consumer good labor deflation.
radix2 is offline Find More Posts by radix2
Old Nov 09, 2010, 01:34 PM
Joined Oct 2005
659 Posts
it sure looks like the Germans are doing now as we used to do before
the advent in the early eighties of the age of "trickle down," "personal
responsibility," and all that "free enterprise" nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radix2 View Post
Earlier this year, the Economist had an extensive report on Germany that I thought was interesting - http://www.economist.com/node/156410...ry_id=15641021 (only 5 sections are free per week without subscribing)

I have been interested in how Germany has been able to maintain it's manufacturing/export economy against the forces of globalization - do they use tariffs to protect markets?, how do they avoid trade conflict, effects on wage rates, etc. Germany would seem to be a good comparator as an example of how to maintain wage rates against foreign competition.

This series touches on the factors that have worked so far and is worth a read.

My main take-aways

Germany does not tie long term liabilities to companies - healthcare and pensions are mostly pay as you go and held outside the balance sheet of companies ( established companies are on a more equal footing with imports or new market entrants ). Unions can focus on competitiveness and worker jobs rather than security and retiree benefits as is the case in large US manufacturing unions. Germany has been in a good market position by focusing on the manufacturing support industries - well aligned with the rise of China, India, Brazil, etc. - kind of like focusing on selling jeans and shovels during a gold rush - so they are less effected by intense consumer good labor deflation.
Old Nov 09, 2010, 02:39 PM
Cat Rack
Lyle, WA
Joined Dec 2000
1,478 Posts
Quote:
it sure looks like the Germans are doing now as we used to do before
the advent in the early eighties of the age of "trickle down," "personal
responsibility," and all that "free enterprise" nonsense.
I'm sure you have the Ubermen in mind to make the proper judgements to be enforced on all.
Old Nov 09, 2010, 02:57 PM
Scotland
Joined Sep 2009
66 Posts
Quote:
Not sure I agree with the article. The UK empire wouldn't have lasted much longer even if it wasn't for the great depression or/and WW2. It had simply run its course.
mortato is offline Find More Posts by mortato
Old Nov 09, 2010, 03:10 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,308 Posts
We are increasingly hearing more calls from the left for isolationist policies, presumably to protect union wages. As the government takes a larger portion of our economy the inclination toward tariffs and protectionism will become more prevalent as their appetite for revenue will outpace their acumen for business. Cronyism will be even more rampant. It is a recipe for economic disaster. The further down the road to Marxism or Statism or whatever you want to call it, progressivism perhaps, that we go here in this country, the darker the cloud over the world grows.
plowboy1966 is offline Find More Posts by plowboy1966
Old Nov 09, 2010, 05:08 PM
Joined Oct 2005
659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat View Post
I'm sure you have the Ubermen in mind to make the proper judgements to be enforced on all.
you're always "sure" about many things...problem is they're all imagined.
Old Nov 09, 2010, 05:38 PM
Cat Rack
Lyle, WA
Joined Dec 2000
1,478 Posts
Quote:
you're always "sure" about many things...problem is they're all imagined.
Really? I'm 'imagining' your desire for State control of what you attack?