HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Aug 29, 2012, 04:46 PM
Tight is Right
Lehi, Utah, United States
Joined Dec 2001
7,668 Posts
Heh heh... we could do EARLY morning up at Pineview targeting some monster Tiger Muskies then down for the fly in at 11-ish?

Pine view is about 30 mins from Lagoon.
Darren Hintze is offline Find More Posts by Darren Hintze
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 29, 2012, 09:57 PM
Proud RC Addict
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined Nov 2009
1,558 Posts
While you guys are fishing, I'm going to be flying my airplanes on a REAL runway.

http://www.monticelloutah.org/City/Airport.aspx

I called the event organizer for this weekend and it turns out there was some issue with the old runway so they just moved the event over the the new real runway. Ha Ha... I guess actual planes don't land there all that often anyway.
dennisjm is offline Find More Posts by dennisjm
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:42 PM
BUZZ KILL
Utah
Joined Aug 2010
1,068 Posts
Hey Mulicheng did you happen to ask if you need AMA to fly?
Plane Insane RC is offline Find More Posts by Plane Insane RC
Old Aug 29, 2012, 11:56 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,852 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Hintze View Post
Heh heh... we could do EARLY morning up at Pineview targeting some monster Tiger Muskies then down for the fly in at 11-ish?

Pine view is about 30 mins from Lagoon.
Hmm, that's a tough one. The morning air is better for flying, but probably also better for fishing. Which one gets the good morning temps and air? I say we do the fly-in first, get some good formation flying on, some combat, then if we get bored, head fishing. Otherwise stay and fly. I haven't flown a single non FPV plane since the last swarm!

Dennis,

Take some pics or vid while you're down there please, and if the district AMA VP asks, tell him I sent ya so he thinks I'm doing my job representing Utah... Hehe.

Anybody here going to the Grantsville non-event fly-in? I may head up for that one as well.
Wind_of_Change is offline Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 30, 2012, 03:22 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,100 Posts
We have a group of newer flyers that are flying the slow flyers.

They may enjoy a couple of activities at the next sWARm designed for slow fly.

It might also be a good idea to have some preflight help for the new flyers from the experienced flyers before the event starts. Last sWARm we had a few of flyers that needed a little help when they got there and weren't ready for launch.

I will be flying Saturday morning 0900 at the Sod Farm.

We are willing to donate some kits and a bunch of shirts to the sWARm. We learned there are only a couple of medium sized flyers in the whole valley so we will lean towards the Large and 2x Large.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Last edited by Lee; Aug 30, 2012 at 03:28 AM.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 06:36 AM
Proud RC Addict
Joined Nov 2009
1,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane Insane RC View Post
Hey Mulicheng did you happen to ask if you need AMA to fly?
I didn't ask them but my suspicion is that they are only vaguely aware of what AMA is. The event is more tailored toward putting on a show for the local boy scouts and trying to get some of the local people interested in starting a club. I don't know if there is even anyone from Monticello or surrounding few towns that flies anything. When I called she mentioned there was a couple guys from the Farmington area and a couple guys from the Ute RC that had committed to coming. I don't know if there will be many more than that.

I'm quite excited to fly my 50cc and Revolver off the big runway though. Don't have to worry near as much about my crappy depth perception.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 08:03 AM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,852 Posts
I hope the event goes well Dennis.

I think there are a few semi-local RC pilots, but for there to be a legitimate sanctioned AMA club in Monticello, 10-20% of the adult males in town would have to join, which would get them the pilots necessary for basic club officer positions.

Latest census puts the population of the entire area at barely 2000.

If there were a seriously awesome field there that could host a real fly-in competition, I'm sure it would be a great interstate contest site.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 30, 2012, 09:03 AM
Hit Me! Please!
Provo, UT
Joined Jan 2005
3,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind_of_Change View Post
Anybody here going to the Grantsville non-event fly-in? I may head up for that one as well.
I would if I were here. I'll be in the Reno/Tahoe area on a photo shoot.
jwjohnson is offline Find More Posts by jwjohnson
Old Aug 30, 2012, 10:28 AM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,852 Posts
Hmmmm. Jeff, you need some company? I'd skip a fly-in to go on a photo shoot with you, if I could bring some FPV gear along for the ride.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 30, 2012, 01:01 PM
Hit Me! Please!
Provo, UT
Joined Jan 2005
3,979 Posts
I'm actually going with a group and I'm flying there and back. We're shooting the balloon festival as well as other stuff, but I'd be up for driving over some time later and doing a combined photo/fpv trip with you.
jwjohnson is offline Find More Posts by jwjohnson
Old Sep 01, 2012, 09:16 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,100 Posts
Weather is nice out there this morning. Headed to the Sod Farm at 9.
Old Sep 01, 2012, 09:39 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,100 Posts
Where did this cloud come from? I'm still headed to the sod farm.
Old Sep 01, 2012, 04:18 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,100 Posts
Lightning,sprinkles, gray sky. Perfect flying day.
Old Sep 02, 2012, 06:30 PM
Proud RC Addict
Joined Nov 2009
1,558 Posts
Monticello Fun Fly

Was fun.. Had enough flyers to have planes going all the time. Had some pretty planes. I was the only guy with a smoke system on a plane and also the only guy who brought a heli. The wind picked up a bit during the morning but there runway area was so large that getting pretty much anything to land wasn't that big of a deal. I think we had 750 feet to land on the taxi runway. They actually said we could go fly on the real runway if we wanted but nobody needed that much space. I guess there was a guy going to come with a turbine jet but he was involved in a motorcycle accident a week ago or so. Too bad.
Old Sep 02, 2012, 11:46 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,100 Posts
Kevin and I are flying at the sod farm at 9 AM Monday.
Closed Thread