HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Sep 02, 2011, 04:04 PM
Proud RC Addict
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined Nov 2009
1,565 Posts
It looks like it needs more speed before it gets in the air. Like the motor is providing tons of torque on the frame but there isn't enough air over the surfaces to fly well. Just a guess..
dennisjm is offline Find More Posts by dennisjm
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2011, 04:22 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared_Zygote View Post
I could not get the thing to taxi strait! I taxied over and over trying to get it to work but once it got going it would start swaying to one side or the other. On one attempt I got it pretty strait and tried to take off but the exact same thing happened that happened last time. Up 2 feet then crash down. I have never had so much trouble getting a plane up!! I am planning on repairing it then hanging it up to be a show piece. It is so highly detailed it breaks my heart to see it getting munched.

This time was much worse then last. I have video.....but I cant get my self to post it just yet. Still too tender :-)
It's a normal top heavy tail dragger with a slight cross breeze. Does it hand launch OK?
Lee is online now Find More Posts by Lee
Old Sep 02, 2011, 04:23 PM
Corn-holio
Provo Utah
Joined Mar 2004
904 Posts
you are probably right. I just could not keep it strait on the ground long enough to get to speed. It was probably off balance too. I had no info on where it should balance so I just guessed based on the position of my other planes. With the huge battery and motor in the nose it may have been nose heavy too.

Lee- It is too heavy to hand launch
Jared_Zygote is offline Find More Posts by Jared_Zygote
Old Sep 02, 2011, 04:46 PM
Tight is Right
Lehi, Utah, United States
Joined Dec 2001
7,692 Posts
Hey Jared, sorry to hear about the continued struggles.

One thing I noticed... the plane does not sit anywhere close to level on the ground. As soon as you are adding elevator, the plane is coming off the ground in a turn.
Darren Hintze is offline Find More Posts by Darren Hintze
Old Sep 02, 2011, 05:03 PM
Full disclosure, not sponsored
Joined May 2002
17,130 Posts
Jared, it looks like pilot error. Sorry.

Tail draggers are a bugger and require LOTS O rudder on takeoff.

Looking at the video the tail never started "flying" tipstall 3' off the ground = UGLY.

Get the tail flying before pulling up.

What prop? I am guessing you want an 10 or 12 as the last #
JONBOYLEMON is online now Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Sep 02, 2011, 05:15 PM
Corn-holio
Provo Utah
Joined Mar 2004
904 Posts
Oh yea pilot error was never in question, we all knew that. Im just trying to learn for next time.

I was trying to do rudder but I need more practice I guess because on all my test taxis I would over correct no matter how easy I was trying to be, then finally loose control and stop.

the last prop I used was a 13x8

Anyway thanks for the tips y'all
Jared_Zygote is offline Find More Posts by Jared_Zygote
Old Sep 02, 2011, 05:19 PM
Joined May 2002
17,130 Posts
PS, have you put a watt meter on the setup????

Next time do it at the sod farm in the middle of the sprinkler rows. Go full throttle and wherever nose is pointing when it get going, take off that direction. That would add some comfort for a squirly tail dragger. Dont feel bad about pilot error. We have all had some "Unique" tail dragger "takeoffs/attempted murders"
Old Sep 02, 2011, 09:07 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,925 Posts
Bummer about the Bird Dog Jared.

A Bird Dog? Is that a dog with wings, meaning a plane that flies like a dog?

Anyhow, definitely didn't look fun to take off. My first little biplane was like that, couldn't control it on the ground AT ALL. But I'm surprised with a bigger plane like that.

Sometimes when you punch it the motor torque drags you hard left, and if it does it in the extreme, it means your motor is probably mounted wrong. You need a certain amount of right thrust angle to counter that, and if it's not built in, then the plane will veer hard that direction. And if you have your tail wheel trimmed to offset it, they'll fight each other and get you wagging like that. Even WITH motor's set up with right thrust angle, tail-draggers often require full rudder to offset torque.

Also, did you double-check your control surfaces to make sure your ailerons were set up right before flying? Looks almost like you trying turning one way and it went the other.

For a plane that size, you may want to try out one of these Starmax P51's - they fly amazingly well with the right setup. The FMS was great too, but not as beautiful or detailed.

Better luck next time. Sad I didn't get to see it before the incident.
Wind_of_Change is offline Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 02, 2011, 09:07 PM
Joined May 2002
17,130 Posts
I plan to be at the sod farm early tomorrow.
Old Sep 02, 2011, 09:32 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,925 Posts
This thread needs a boost. So here's a guy flying that could have lost everything if he'd flown a few inches lower.

This is what you call a "CLOSE CALL"

Jeb Corliss " Grinding The Crack" (3 min 30 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 02, 2011, 09:39 PM
ɯoɔ˙sǝıqqoɥɥɔǝʇlɐıɹǝɐ ˙ʍʍʍ
United States, UT, Lehi
Joined Apr 2005
632 Posts
That is just plan sick! I think I'd have to check my shorts if I got that close I don't think I'd be laughing about it...

Mike K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind_of_Change View Post
This thread needs a boost. So here's a guy flying that could have lost everything if he'd flown a few inches lower.

This is what you call a "CLOSE CALL"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWfph...layer_embedded
smileyz is offline Find More Posts by smileyz
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 02, 2011, 09:55 PM
Tight is Right
Joined Dec 2001
7,692 Posts
I will be flying tomorrow early!
Old Sep 02, 2011, 10:05 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,925 Posts
So... we talking REALLY early, or just sorta early? Not sure I can get up for the 7 a.m. flying. What's everybody doing time-wise?
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 02, 2011, 10:25 PM
Tight is Right
Joined Dec 2001
7,692 Posts
I'll be there by 8. I've had a really long week and am not going super early either. Of course I'll still probably wake up before 7 and leave when I am ready anyway.
Old Sep 02, 2011, 10:29 PM
Joined May 2002
17,130 Posts
I am hoping for 7:00 shooting for 7:30.
Closed Thread