Closed Thread
Old Jul 23, 2011, 08:12 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind_of_Change View Post

We need to plan a good night fly one of these weeks guys. It's been a good while, and I need some motivation to revive my dead night combat plane!
Amen Brother Todd. I fixed my Reaper lights and we have had so many nights that would have been perfect for some night flying. I think we need to pick a night and get some peeps motivated to get together.
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2011, 08:19 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,479 Posts
Today was a reminder that unfortunately dealing with disappointment is part of the hobby.
fortunately the payoff is so great when it all does miraculously come together.
Today was some of the best combat I've had for a long time

Cool to see the big planes fly and have fun!

Sorry to see AD's mishap

Waiting for the report from Jeff on what broke on the big biplane.
I had a screech like that on my Harley once, wasn't good.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 08:39 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,840 Posts
When I first built my big GeeBee, my first big plane, it kept doing that. At certain throttle settings the speed controller would try to reverse the motor because it couldn't keep the proper timing with the revolution of the motor bell. Basically it's like misfiring, and it makes that horrible sound and can really wreak havoc with plane. I had to ground my plane for almost a year while I waited for a controller that could handle the timing of the big motor I put on there, and it made all the difference.

The old controller from that Gee Bee, the ESC that didn't ever fly it right, is what's currently flying my P51. Works great when it's only dealing with 6S instead of 12S batteries.

I wonder if Jeff's ESC timing got reset to medium or low. It should be on high for a big motor like that. The low or medium timing is what usually is the cause of that sort of backfiring, and it can fry an ESC & Motor.

I agree about the combat. I don't think I've had a good combat hit like that for a good month. My plane got the crap kicked out of it! It was awesome!
Wind_of_Change is offline Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 23, 2011, 11:02 PM
United States, UT, Saratoga Springs
Joined Mar 2010
452 Posts
We regret to inform the citizens of American Fart, UT and the honorable members of UFO that an F-18 was shot down tonight, twice in fact, yes, the same plane.

Flight report:
At approximately 7pm on 7/23/11 at Art Dye Park an Airfield F-18 took off into the air innocently enough. The plane climbed nicely for about 15 feet then rolled violently to the left, not appearing to respond to the pilot’s inputs to correct to the right. The plane hit the asphalt, tearing off the left wing and rudder in clean breaks, and giving the plane a slight nose job. There were several theories as to the malfunction, but of course pilot error was not considered, not even remotely, or at least not brought up out loud anyway.

Ground crew were quick to make repairs, using copious amounts of packaging tape and CA glue, in hopes for another attempt, the plane having so nicely maidened just a few days ago.

7:30pm: Decided to do a range test, which showed basically satisfactory results. Unfortunately flight attempt number 2 resulted in exactly the same incident. Up about 15 feet, roll left, no response at all to corrective inputs by the pilot to roll back right. This time, landing in the grass and successfully breaking off the right wing (who is reported to have been feeling left out anyway), tweaking the right elevator, and furthering the aforementioned nose job to a more complete break in a different spot. Impressively the repairs previously made on the left side held up perfectly, showing no new damage. Video was taken by Aaron of this flight attempt and crash.

At this point things looked grim, and by any determination a new kit, fuse, wings, etc seemed needed for further flight. The pilot collected up the sad remains of his shattered major award and drove home feeling somewhat beaten by an evil and yet unidentified electrical gremlin of sorts. Perhaps the plane would live to fly another day…perhaps.

HOWEVER………

Upon further analysis back at the hangar, it was discovered that for some unknown reason, the aileron controls were responding reverse of Tx input. A quick flip of a switch from NORM to REV and they responded correctly again. Feeling determined and with new found hope, ground crew quickly taped up the right wing, elevator and nose, and promptly headed to the nearest elementary school.

There was an Easterly wind about 15-20mph but proudly tonight’s flight attempt number 3 was a resounding success. It took off right into the wind and towards the sunset, did several nice banks and rolls, eventually coming in for a safe, all-be it slightly ungraceful landing, much to the cheers of onlookers, and to the great satisfaction of the pilot/ground crew. The pilot drove home feeling pleased and vindicated.

Yes my friends, today I tasted bitter defeat, but in the end, victory was mine.

Justin, call sign: the walrus
the_walrus is offline Find More Posts by the_walrus
Old Jul 23, 2011, 11:09 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,479 Posts
Hahaha- a lovely story and you told it so well.

Strange, wonder how the servo got reversed? You didn't have that problem on the maiden flight? Do you somehow suspect that you inadvertently put the reverse in on the the transmitter settings? Jake and have both learned this lesson the hard way when we have just checked for elevator/rudder response and not checked specifically for direction.

Glad it ended on a good note.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 11:11 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,479 Posts
Hahaha

"shattered major award"

Fra-gee-lay- Must be Italian...
Old Jul 23, 2011, 11:28 PM
United States, UT, Saratoga Springs
Joined Mar 2010
452 Posts
To my best guess, the plane (which was assembled by someone else) may have the aileron servos plugged in opposite of correct (still need to check), and the Tx setting was likely on REV when I maidened so there were no issues at all. I honestly didn't even look at that setting before tonight.

The action of placing and removing the Tx in my backpack likely moved the switch to NORM thus the reversing the servo action. On my pre-flight and range test today I just checked for response rather than correct direction of the ailerons. Had I caught that, flight #2 would likely have been uneventful. Oh well, these are things one learns to check along the way. And luckily it was just a $60 foamy that flew again the same day.

Justin
the_walrus is offline Find More Posts by the_walrus
Old Jul 24, 2011, 02:00 PM
Hit Me! Please!
Provo, UT
Joined Jan 2005
3,964 Posts
I'm still not sure what happened with the Waco. I was sure glad I didn't have to try to turn and come back. I've taken the cowl off and looked things over. I'm not sure how to tell if the timing on the ESC changed. I can change the settings with the multiple beep/throttle stick mess, but I don't think it tells me what the current settings are. I'll try to find my Turnigy ESC programming card and see if that will tell me. A timing change would make the most sense, because it sounded just like Todd's GeeBee when it had that problem. The motor/esc ran fine taxiing back (a looooong way back) to the cars and later in my garage. Just to be safe I've ordered a new ESC and Motor. I'm taking the chance to fix a few cosmetic dings and some stress cracks around the landing gear mounts.

My FW-190 quit working after an aborted take off (nosed over in the grass). I brought it home and took the cowl off. Ran up the motor without a prop and smoke started pouring from the ESC. It's an 2 year old 80A Turnigy Plush. Ordered a replacement for that as well.

Finished up the P-51 (Starmax) after I got home and bought three more y connectors. I thought I was ready to fly yesterday at the field, but forgot those.

I had a couple of nice flights with the Kunlun yesterday as well.

Combat was fun too. I had a couple of nice hits (decleaters for you football fans ) with Todd and Ryan.

Anybody up for a bit of geared plane flying at AD early Monday? It's a holiday for me.

I think I'll pass on next week at the Sod Farm as well. If they are having a DLG contest I don't want to interfere with that.

Todd, I'm good to go for the Logan trip. When do you want to leave on Friday?
jwjohnson is offline Find More Posts by jwjohnson
Old Jul 24, 2011, 02:11 PM
swede
United States, MA, Lowell
Joined Aug 2005
3,835 Posts
Jeff, I have a programming card if you can't find yours.
denial15 is offline Find More Posts by denial15
Old Jul 24, 2011, 02:22 PM
A different attitude to RC
Draper, Utah
Joined Sep 2008
2,573 Posts
Jeff, you could also verify the same behaviour is present before changing the setting. In my experience, timing problems will show if you suddenly increase throttle.
extremewing is offline Find More Posts by extremewing
Old Jul 24, 2011, 03:55 PM
Hit Me! Please!
Provo, UT
Joined Jan 2005
3,964 Posts
Thanks Dan and Adrian. I found my programming card and the timing was set to medium??? Anyway, it's switched to high now. We'll see how things go. Anybody have problems with settings changing on ESC's? This is the Turnigy Senitlon 100A HV model (good up to 12 cells).
Old Jul 24, 2011, 10:30 PM
Hit Me! Please!
Provo, UT
Joined Jan 2005
3,964 Posts
No takers? I guess it looks like a nice day to sleep in.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 11:44 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,840 Posts
Looks like it'd be a nice morning to fly, but I don't have anything charged after Saturday and don't want to stay up charging.

After I left the flying field Saturday, I went down to the "Taste of the Valley" event in Provo at the Riverwoods to sample food from a few dozen restaurants. Yum, stuffed myself silly. But I left my car parked in the sun with my batteries in it. They were covered with my window screen to keep them from getting too hot, but the car must have gotten really hot while I was gone because when I got back in it smelled really badly of Lithium battery exhaust and when I opened the case, all my batteries were hot and puffed up.

Looks like my entire case of batteries took some significant damage.

I verified it tonight by trying to fly my night plane, the 3 batteries I have for that plane all acted very weak.

So all my big expensive batteries likely took damage too. I'll have to be very careful with my next few flights to make sure they are up to the task of hauling my big planes around until I can afford some new ones.

Maybe I should charge a few up and fly in the morning a bit just to see if they will still work. If you are gonna maiden your P51 Jeff, let me know. Text me on my phone so I get the message and I'll come out at 7:30ish for a couple quick flights.
Wind_of_Change is offline Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 25, 2011, 12:17 AM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
16,924 Posts
Quick poll,

We are having a DLG contest @ the sod farm Saturday. As you may know DLG's need to be able to fly a long ways away as we go were the lift is.

I am worried about a conflict with DLG and other planes.

Sooooooo....... if it would work out, it would be great to take a week off @ the sod farm so we can range wherever we need to.

But if that does not work, as it likely will not, it might be nice if we could have the combat and others setup on one corner of the field.

Depending on wind, I am not sure which corner.

So give me some feedback fellers.

FYI, most DLG's that will be flown in the contest are close to a $1000 so you can see why we try and avoid collisions.
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Jul 25, 2011, 12:29 AM
United States, UT, Eagle Mountain
Joined Jul 2011
39 Posts
DLGs look like so much fun. Too bad I failed at ballet when I was small, so that pirouette you guys do is beyond my ability.

Would I be imposing if I showed up to watch?
AmiFish is offline Find More Posts by AmiFish
Closed Thread