HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
Old Nov 10, 2010, 04:39 PM
hot air rises...
jfinch's Avatar
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Killer View Post
I usually charge my batteries at C/10. For my 1350mah that would be 130miliamps, but I can only get close to that so I charge at 100 miliamps. My charger has a temperature sensor that I place on the battery and if it starts to get hot, the charger will shut off.
Really? That would mean it takes you 10 hours to charge a pack from empty to full. You can safely charge any of today's packs at a 1C miminum. Many packs allow for 3 or 5C charging. You should be charging the 1350 mah pack at something closer to 1.3 amps.

I really like those Rhino 1350 packs. I really abuse them in pylon racing (pull 'em dry in about 1.5 - 2 minutes) and they hold out very well for at least a full season of racing and practicing.

<---sub'd to the new thread
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2010, 04:53 PM
More Combat Please!
Wind_of_Change's Avatar
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,911 Posts
I've liked my Rhino's too, Jon.

Some of the new nanotech batteries have a big 5C charge or 8C charge printed on the back of them. I've never tried charging one at 8C, or even 5C. Most I've ever done is 2C, and it makes me nervous. That's just because I've been conditioned to think 1C max, which is what I always do.

But wow, how cool would it be to charge a 4000 mah pack that's fully depleted and have it full in about 8 minutes? But wow, that's like a 32 amp charge rate at 8C, which is as much as I pull in flight. My biggest charger won't charge above 10 amps. To take advantage of those rates, I'd need a new charger... and it would be a LOT harder for the equipment to balance the packs because the balancers are working in the 10-20 mah range for balancing. That's a recipe for a FIRE.

But wow, on smaller packs if I even charged at 2C or 3C, I wouldn't have to buy so dang many batteries! We'll see how the nanotech packs hold up over time. To date the only batteries I've had that last more than one or two seasons are the Thunder Powers.
Wind_of_Change is online now Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 10, 2010, 05:14 PM
Planes in flames,,,
jetpackninja's Avatar
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Killer View Post
I usually charge my batteries at C/10. For my 1350mah that would be 130miliamps, but I can only get close to that so I charge at 100 miliamps. My charger has a temperature sensor that I place on the battery and if it starts to get hot, the charger will shut off.
Hey Jim, just curious, how long does it take you to charge one of 2200 batteries and which charger you have?
We're taking around 40-50 min with the charger that we are using (set at 2.2A)
I think you saw it in use at the sod farm last Saturday.
-Tom
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old Nov 10, 2010, 05:58 PM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
JONBOYLEMON's Avatar
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
17,091 Posts
Sounds like we could use a charging lesson here.

Search is your friend.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/searc...0charge%20lipo
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Nov 10, 2010, 07:59 PM
Watch your 6
6Killer's Avatar
USA, UT, Alpine
Joined Jul 2010
710 Posts
Tom - Sorry, I was gone for a while. You wrote:"how long does it take you to charge one of 2200 batteries and which charger you have?
1. @ 100 ma it took 4.5 hours to charge starting from 10.2 v low and input 2318 somethings. That is interesting. Must be some leakage, because the capacity is only 2200.

2, The charger is a Dynamite Passport Ultra

The batteries discharged unevenly. Each cell was at 3.2, 3.43, and 3.62 but the charger brought them up to 4.19, 4.2 and 4.2.

I am going to try and charge at 2C and see if they get hot.
6Killer is offline Find More Posts by 6Killer
Old Nov 10, 2010, 08:00 PM
Watch your 6
6Killer's Avatar
USA, UT, Alpine
Joined Jul 2010
710 Posts
Jon
Your link:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/searc...0charge%20lipo
doesn't work. I would like to read it.
6Killer is offline Find More Posts by 6Killer
Old Nov 10, 2010, 08:14 PM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
JONBOYLEMON's Avatar
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
17,091 Posts
No need to charge at 2C even if batteries can do it. Unless you are in a hurry and they are rated for it.
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Nov 10, 2010, 08:35 PM
I shouldn't be flying either!!
Scooter33's Avatar
United States, UT, Pleasant Grove
Joined Mar 2010
235 Posts
I'll be the 23rd post in the new thread. We're off to a good start, 23 posts in a little over 24 hours. Great video Ryan, that was a blast making that video. I might have to invest in one of those go pro's. Lee, your reaper is amazing and tuff as nails. Todd and I the last month, have averaged easily 50 hits a week. Jon's servo savers are holding up nicely (so far).
Scooter33 is offline Find More Posts by Scooter33
Old Nov 10, 2010, 09:08 PM
More Combat Please!
Wind_of_Change's Avatar
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,911 Posts
Hey Scott, guess what Todd's almost done building? All I have left is to mount the wing and secure the battery hatch and Spitfire #2 is ready to maiden.

Woot!

I can't WAIT to get a spitfire back in the air. 6S on a 13x13 3-blade prop should boogie like a bat out of hades. I can't get my darned spinner to balance though. Grr. Gotta buy another one I guess.
Wind_of_Change is online now Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 10, 2010, 10:30 PM
Planes in flames,,,
jetpackninja's Avatar
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,571 Posts
Hey Jim- no worries. Unless I misunderstand how these things work (quite possible, I'm a newb) if you charge the 2200ma battery at 2.2a that would be a 1c (safe) rate. Charging at 100ma would = 1a which would be way under a 1c rate for either your 1350 or your 2200- It won't hurt your batteries but it will take a long time to charge. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong- I don't want to be giving out any bad information here...
Thanks-
Tom
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old Nov 10, 2010, 10:31 PM
Hit Me! Please!
jwjohnson's Avatar
Provo, UT
Joined Jan 2005
3,989 Posts
1000 ma = 1 a. Otherwise you are correct.
jwjohnson is offline Find More Posts by jwjohnson
Old Nov 10, 2010, 10:51 PM
Planes in flames,,,
jetpackninja's Avatar
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,571 Posts
Jim- these two videos look like pretty good links to watch for your charger:
HorizonRC.com Review - Dynamite Passport Chargers (9 min 18 sec)

Dynamite Passport Ultra AC/DC Balancing Charger Un-boxing and Review (9 min 34 sec)

I hope you find them helpful.
-Tom
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old Nov 11, 2010, 04:18 AM
Watch your 6
6Killer's Avatar
USA, UT, Alpine
Joined Jul 2010
710 Posts
Tom
That was real kind of you to find those for me. Thanks
6Killer is offline Find More Posts by 6Killer
Old Nov 11, 2010, 07:54 AM
Got Thermals???
Fishjunky's Avatar
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind_of_Change View Post
I've liked my Rhino's too, Jon.

Some of the new nanotech batteries have a big 5C charge or 8C charge printed on the back of them. I've never tried charging one at 8C, or even 5C. Most I've ever done is 2C, and it makes me nervous. That's just because I've been conditioned to think 1C max, which is what I always do.

But wow, how cool would it be to charge a 4000 mah pack that's fully depleted and have it full in about 8 minutes? But wow, that's like a 32 amp charge rate at 8C, which is as much as I pull in flight. My biggest charger won't charge above 10 amps. To take advantage of those rates, I'd need a new charger... and it would be a LOT harder for the equipment to balance the packs because the balancers are working in the 10-20 mah range for balancing. That's a recipe for a FIRE.

But wow, on smaller packs if I even charged at 2C or 3C, I wouldn't have to buy so dang many batteries! We'll see how the nanotech packs hold up over time. To date the only batteries I've had that last more than one or two seasons are the Thunder Powers.
Todd, I charge my Hyperion packs at 5C on the 2100mAh packs and 2 - 2.5C on my bigger packs (cause that's all my charger can do). It works great! The balance ports don't get warm at all.
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Old Nov 11, 2010, 09:36 AM
Plane Insane RC.com
chicken hawk's Avatar
Spanish Fork Utah
Joined Mar 2005
1,327 Posts
Hey Denial was that you at In and Out Burger last night causing trouble? It was too dark for me to tell for sure and I didn’t want to run up to the wrong cop yelling and screaming "A dingo ate my baby!"
chicken hawk is offline Find More Posts by chicken hawk
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help! Trying to find Nitro flying area in Ogden Depot, Weber county, Utah jjstick USA - District X 4 Nov 08, 2013 01:20 AM
Alert Utah County Flying Schedule Darren Hintze Utah Flyers Organization 12934 Nov 09, 2010 06:35 AM
Discussion Utah County Flying Sites redgiki Utah Flyers Organization 6 Mar 23, 2007 03:23 PM