Closed Thread
Old Nov 09, 2010, 05:36 AM
Tight is Right
Lehi, Utah, United States
Joined Dec 2001
7,668 Posts
Discussion
Utah County Flying II

New thread to discuss Utah county flying sessions, projects, other pilots, and informal banter!

A continuation of the thread found here:
Darren Hintze is offline Find More Posts by Darren Hintze
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2010, 07:49 AM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
Subscribing to keep tabs on my unruly southern neighbors
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Old Nov 09, 2010, 08:25 AM
Plane Insane RC.com
Spanish Fork Utah
Joined Mar 2005
1,327 Posts
Post number 3 in the new Thread! Yes!
Combat 11-6-2010.wmv (3 min 46 sec)
chicken hawk is offline Find More Posts by chicken hawk
Old Nov 09, 2010, 08:35 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,145 Posts
We were there and now we are here. I don't know if we are flying on Wednesday. Depends on the storm that is a coming.

Lee
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Nov 09, 2010, 08:41 AM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,854 Posts
Ooooh Baby! That's what I'm talking about. Finally, a video that really gives a sense of how frequently we hit each other. I love when the camera plane goes down into the freshly churned dirt and you see dirt chunks flying up!

I'd love to get another video like that of night combat.

Was that not one of the most beautiful flying days ever? I couldn't leave the field. I mean normally I feel fairly satisfied if I get an hour of combat in, but I think we went for a good 3 hours that day. Perfect. I already can't wait for spring to get here.
Wind_of_Change is offline Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 09, 2010, 08:43 AM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,854 Posts
Darren, are we still going to be able to access that old thread?

I think it's a good idea to copy over maps and other key info from the other thread and get it at the front on this one.

For those that still fly 72 mhz, we should still have a frequency board on the first page of this thread. Most of us are 2.4ghz, but whoever has that binder with the frequency information from the last sWARm should just compile a post really quick with those channels on it and post it her.

Is that you, Lee?
Wind_of_Change is offline Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 09, 2010, 09:08 AM
If It Aint Broke,I'll Break It
United States, TX, Lockhart
Joined Dec 2008
2,872 Posts
Just looking to be top 10.
Rockin G is offline Find More Posts by Rockin G
Old Nov 09, 2010, 09:16 AM
swede
United States, UT, Vineyard
Joined Aug 2005
3,864 Posts
WOO HOO!! Thread #2.
denial15 is offline Find More Posts by denial15
Old Nov 09, 2010, 09:27 AM
Some Girls r Bigger thn Others
USA, UT, Cedar Hills
Joined Jun 2010
1,307 Posts
I want to get in on the new thread. Looks like it will be sunny weather on Friday and Saturday, so flying will still be ok! This last weekend was perfect weather!

I got to maiden my Habu at AD on Saturday morning.
Here's the video.
Habu (3 min 59 sec)

-swps
swps is offline Find More Posts by swps
Old Nov 09, 2010, 10:40 AM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
17,029 Posts
So 12,935 post was too long for a thread???? WOW that was a LONG thread. Thanks RC groups for providing a playground for us.

The Fyying Gas Station "Flying J" oe Jeremy, or &*!$^ Yankee from up North, did the frequencyt list last I knew of.
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Nov 10, 2010, 03:01 PM
Watch your 6
USA, UT, Alpine
Joined Jul 2010
710 Posts
I was the only idiot that showed up at the Lakeside Park in Vineyard for flying today. No matter, being the idiot that I am, I enjoyed flying in the snow. It mostly drizzled snow all morning then at noon, when I was flying, it really got going good. The only bad side was the snow flakes kept getting in my eyes; otherwise I had a blast.

I tried an experiment. Last week I flew my Slow Stick with a 11.1v 2200mah battery and got a 25+ min flight time for it. My wife timed it for me. Today I flew the Slow Stick with LED lights on, same battery, and got a 15+ min flight time. I have 2 of the 2200s so I can figure on about a half an hour flight at night for this plane.

I was recently reading an article for noobs about batteries and the writer mentioned an 80% rule. He said that for the best health of your battery only fly till you have reached 80% of the capacity of your battery. Sounds like a rule an accountant would make. Anyway, I have never seen anyone that I have been around while flying who said, “Man, I am at 80%. I am coming down!” From what I have seen everyone flies till there battery is not able to perform; no power when throttling and they get forced down. I am not saying the writer is wrong. It seems unrealistic to me.

I have been keeping tabs on my batteries. When I fly my battery down like everyone else my battery charger tells me that for my 1350mah battery it (the charger) had to put back into the battery 1240mv. So right there we are talking mah and mv and can’t compare them I don’t think. How would I ever figure out where 80% is? Just curious. I doubt that I would ever try and monitor the thing. Well, I might do it once just to lean something.
6Killer is offline Find More Posts by 6Killer
Old Nov 10, 2010, 03:16 PM
swede
United States, UT, Vineyard
Joined Aug 2005
3,864 Posts
I like to keep to the 80% rule on all of my packs, other than combat packs. with my new F-35, I am running a 4S3000. 4 minutes took just over 1800 mAh's. That was about 60%. I can get about 5 minutes per pack with that plane.

With your 1240 back into the 1350 pack, you ran that pack down to 91%. If you're going to play by the 80% rule, then you should only be putting 1080 mAh's back into the pack.

Some people feel different than others. I have abused my combat packs, and they don't last longer than a season or two. On the other hand, I have other packs that are 4-5 years old and still going strong.
denial15 is offline Find More Posts by denial15
Old Nov 10, 2010, 03:20 PM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
17,029 Posts
I try to never let the LVC kick in on anything. I have tons of batteries so landing and changing batteries is not a real issue.

I have some VERY OLD packs that still do great. In fact I have a few Thunder Power packs that are 5 years old and still have as much zip as my brand new packs.

Also I charge as slow as possible and always balance. Anyways, batteries are sooo cheap now its just not that big of a deal if you hammer a pack.
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Nov 10, 2010, 03:21 PM
Watch your 6
USA, UT, Alpine
Joined Jul 2010
710 Posts
Actually, I don't know what the charger is telling me. It tells me 1240, but I don't know what 1240 is. It could be mv or mah or pretzels. The Operation Manual doesn't say what it is either.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 03:29 PM
Watch your 6
USA, UT, Alpine
Joined Jul 2010
710 Posts
I usually charge my batteries at C/10. For my 1350mah that would be 130miliamps, but I can only get close to that so I charge at 100 miliamps. My charger has a temperature sensor that I place on the battery and if it starts to get hot, the charger will shut off.
Closed Thread