Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 09, 2010, 04:43 AM
It's Just Foam!!!
Canton,Ga
Joined Apr 2010
948 Posts
Discussion
E-Combat Anyone?

I just fell into the "Combat" section on RCGroups the other day, and got hooked! Looks like BIG fun.Is anybody on the north side doing this, or is anybody interested in getting together and bashing some foam?I threw together a F&F combat flyer to try out, and it should be a hoot to fly.Took about 2 hr. total to cut and glue.I'd just like to give this a try.
EZglider is offline Find More Posts by EZglider
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2010, 02:01 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,197 Posts
I have a 48" Bee wing that may be a good entry, but I neet to put a motor on it... I would be interested in some bashing!
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Workshop
Old Nov 09, 2010, 06:39 PM
It's Just Foam!!!
Canton,Ga
Joined Apr 2010
948 Posts
That might be a weird combo, with a 48" wing, and my little 30" F&F, but who knows? Might be fun!I've got to mount the electronics,yet, hope to try it out Sat. if the wind isn't too bad.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 04:53 AM
It's Just Foam!!!
Canton,Ga
Joined Apr 2010
948 Posts
Got it together, gonna shoot for a maiden this Sat.Hard to concentrate on building while watching the Falcons-Ravens game. Checked out your blog, WOW! Very nice builds. Really liked the P-38. You ought to get a few laughs out of my building skills if we can get this combat session together!!! LOL
Old Nov 12, 2010, 01:05 PM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZglider View Post
Got it together, gonna shoot for a maiden this Sat.Hard to concentrate on building while watching the Falcons-Ravens game. Checked out your blog, WOW! Very nice builds. Really liked the P-38. You ought to get a few laughs out of my building skills if we can get this combat session together!!! LOL
I see your in Canton, do you fly with a guy named Mike? He builds log cabins and lives in a beautiful one in Canton. I did some trading with him about 3 yrs back I have not heard from him in a while he flew at a park up there and behind a theater.

Combat is interesting, to watching mostly ha ha, Are you taking full on contact or with streamers? fun either way i guess I used to watch guys in my club do it when I was younger.

the Nutball is a good plane to build for combat So I hear i was going to build one but never did.
epoweredrc is offline Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Old Nov 12, 2010, 05:42 PM
It's Just Foam!!!
Canton,Ga
Joined Apr 2010
948 Posts
Actually, I've been flying solo, but my name IS Mike! I've been going to Heritage Park, or if the make-shift soccer games have the field, there's a huge open field behind the Publix on Riverstone I go to.One reason I started checking this site out was in hopes of finding somebody to fly with. I've only been doing it about 6 mo., but having a ton of fun! I was thinking streamer combat, but that doesn't necessarily rule out "accidental" contact does it?
Old Nov 12, 2010, 08:22 PM
Joined Oct 2004
5,723 Posts
Quote:
Actually, I've been flying solo, but my name IS Mike! I've been going to Heritage Park, or if the make-shift soccer games have the field, there's a huge open field behind the Publix on Riverstone I go to.One reason I started checking this site out was in hopes of finding somebody to fly with. I've only been doing it about 6 mo., but having a ton of fun! I was thinking streamer combat, but that doesn't necessarily rule out "accidental" contact does it?
Oh, Well your not the Mike I am talking about then, ha ha.... well There usd to be a Mike and... ugh I forgot the other guy name that flew at the park behind the car wash. Forget name. they flew there starting about 7am until about 8 then would go up the road up to a road behind the threater and fly after that for another hour or so. Suprized you not ran into anyone. they were about 6-7 of them that flew together.

as said i not talk to him in months not sure he even still flying or if any of them are, economy way it is lots had sell off planes to play bills

There is also contact just didn't know if this was cut the ribbon or kill the other plane ha ha... I got a plane that could play, I just need couple servos. My gal just got new job so hope have some extra money to play with oh yeah Bradly i got to PM ya..
Old Nov 13, 2010, 07:25 PM
It's Just Foam!!!
Canton,Ga
Joined Apr 2010
948 Posts
Oh Well, Got the new wing prepped and ready this A.M, went over to the park (Heritage, it's the one behind the car wash), and fired 'er up! Nothing.The motor would start to spin up, then seize. Tried re-connecting everything, new battery, no difference.Brought it back home and stripped it down, and it appears the bearings are shot. If I take off the prop, it'll kinda spin, but doesn't sound right. Tried soaking the bearings in oil, no good. Guess my last crash last week drove the shaft against them just wrong. Looks like a trip to Grayson Hobby Monday, then we'll see how it goes!
Old Nov 13, 2010, 07:49 PM
Joined Oct 2004
5,723 Posts
Quote:
Oh Well, Got the new wing prepped and ready this A.M, went over to the park (Heritage, it's the one behind the car wash), and fired 'er up! Nothing.The motor would start to spin up, then seize. Tried re-connecting everything, new battery, no difference.Brought it back home and stripped it down, and it appears the bearings are shot. If I take off the prop, it'll kinda spin, but doesn't sound right. Tried soaking the bearings in oil, no good. Guess my last crash last week drove the shaft against them just wrong. Looks like a trip to Grayson Hobby Monday, then we'll see how it goes!
Oh man that stinks sounds like you using cheap motor but a crash is bad for any motor. hope you get it going soon. yeah that sounds like the one where my buddy flew at. guess there not flying anymore who knows. I used to see his stuff for sale on CL sometimes but not in a while he was big into buying selling trading planes,helis,boats,cars trucks. whatever RC.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 07:16 AM
It's Just Foam!!!
Canton,Ga
Joined Apr 2010
948 Posts
Yeah, I like my cheap parts for a number of reasons:#1, I can afford 'em!, They do work, and I figured I was gonna crash plenty while I learned how to fly (Proved myself 100% correct). I can't complain, this motor got me thru 6 months of constan "vertical landings", and nose dives. If the next one works and lasts as well, I'll have no complaints!
Old Nov 14, 2010, 08:10 AM
Joined Oct 2004
5,723 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, I like my cheap parts for a number of reasons:#1, I can afford 'em!, They do work, and I figured I was gonna crash plenty while I learned how to fly (Proved myself 100% correct). I can't complain, this motor got me thru 6 months of constan "vertical landings", and nose dives. If the next one works and lasts as well, I'll have no complaints!
Hobby king has done pretty well. I own three of there lil ax motors the silver looking ones. One is a 1800-1900 kv and its on my lil GLH and it goes pretty darn well with it. the other is like a 1100 kv got it for a 3d plane but it was way to much power for it. right now its on a lil bug wing i built for my gf to fly but i got get 2 servos to complete the plane.

the HTX900 and 500s seem like good servos my father got some to try in our other half A race planes as another guy int he club got lots and used them. we use a servo tester and run them for few hours make sure wont die so far so good.

I do not mind paying $3 a servo for one that last ha ha.
$7 for a motor that last not bad either
with foam, the price of a airplane keeps coming down. I bet you build a combat plane for about $30 for everything.
I do not own any of there esc's but lot ppl use them.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 08:46 AM
It's Just Foam!!!
Canton,Ga
Joined Apr 2010
948 Posts
I've been using the HXT servos with good luck. Got a Welguard/Suppo motor/esc combo from Grayson, and I like it a lot. Till I trashed it, it ran really smooth, lots of power. Gonna replace it with the 1450 version of the same. Supposed to do 24 oz. torque with a 8040 DD prop.I've been building foamies with the Dollar tree Rediboard. It's right across the street. For disposable fun flyers, it's a bargain. With my electronics, I can build a wing for $3.00!My original game plan getting into R/C was to build simple/cheap planes that would allow me to learn, with minimal cash outlay(VERY important right now!). Once I feel much more comfortable in my ability to make a plane last a while, I'll go for some more expensive foam and parts.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 09:07 AM
Joined Oct 2004
5,723 Posts
We use the blue foam from lowe's I think sold it but I was told they no longer sold it. you buy huge bundle like $25. we have had it for like 6 yrs ha ha. still got few sheets left of it
But i like the White depron lots better but it cost more Grayson hobbies is great, hes a great guy. Glad to see a real hobby store now. So your not been at this hobby long, i have been flying 21 years. and flying Electric big time last 6 years. i love how far this stuff have come. brushless and lipo's made a huge difference in the Electric world.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 10:09 PM
United States, GA, Woodstock
Joined Jan 2007
6,743 Posts
Hey EZ, where in Canton are you located? We have several rc guys that fly in Woodstock off 575. No combat flyers though.
GoldCraft is offline Find More Posts by GoldCraft
Old Nov 17, 2010, 04:57 AM
It's Just Foam!!!
Canton,Ga
Joined Apr 2010
948 Posts
I'm right on Riverstone. Are you flying over near the Rec Cntr? I believe they're calling that field "The Dust Bowl". I stopped one day and watched a guy flying a nice P-51 there. Don't remember his name. My only prob is he said you normally fly there around 6. Haven't been able to get there that early, especially now with the time change. Any weekend flying? That would work.