HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 07, 2011, 02:36 PM
EUROPHIA PETE
London England
Joined Oct 2009
147 Posts
Slight errors

Hi Gary

Somebody told me, many years ago now, that most of the problems he had with "actual size" plans were due to the fact the Xerox copier he needed to use to print them had to be a drum type to get "O" size copies and the copier produced a slightly stretched copy, round the drum, every time!

No names, no pack drill - but he doesn't make kits any more!

Good luck

Pete
Pete Beadle is offline Find More Posts by Pete Beadle
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2011, 02:59 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,899 Posts
All good fun!

I'm sure I can 'customise' the rudder to fit. There's no mention of having to chamfer the hinge post so I could add a piece there and move it back a bit to make the front line up. The bottom can visit my sanding disc! The stabs line up nicely with fairings on the fuselage, all very strange.

Bit of a break now while I go to work for three days.
Gary Binnie is online now Find More Posts by Gary Binnie
Old Feb 15, 2011, 06:17 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,899 Posts
Bit of a break indeed! Bet you'd thought I had abandoned it!!

Nasty weather with the wind in completely the wrong direction for any slope flying so I thought I would have a look at building the wings.

Just spent a little while tidying up spar slots in the ribs and working out how it is all supposed to go together by dry fitting all the bits.

The original trailing edge stock is usable but the shaped leading edge stock for the inner panels is missing which is a shame as it is a funny size, sort of 10 x 11 mm which is slightly bigger than 3/8" x 3/8". Might have to use square stock and shape it myself.

GB
Old Feb 15, 2011, 11:17 AM
Joined Jan 2007
4,766 Posts
Bit of a break hell, I was getting ready to check up on you Gary. OK let's get going on this build.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2011, 01:55 PM
Bradford West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Apr 2010
1,668 Posts
Don't know why but Phil seems to have designed a "Special" L/E section for all his designs, "Impala" and "Sky Scooter" were.

Regards Ian.
Circlip is offline Find More Posts by Circlip
Old Feb 15, 2011, 02:21 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prodjx View Post
Bit of a break hell, I was getting ready to check up on you Gary. OK let's get going on this build.
I had a post-Christmas attack of lethargy but I think I'm over it!!

Yeah, it is a funny size that leading edge stock, I've got round it in a fairly cunning way though!

Will post some piccies in a bit, I've got the bones of one inner panel glued together, even done the spar webs!

GB
Old Feb 15, 2011, 03:32 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,899 Posts
Done for today.

I popped up to my LHS (walking distance) and got some 3/8" leading edge stock. If I used this I could sheet the top of the 'D' box but the rib capping strips on the lower surface would not sit flush with the leading edge.

The answer was to trim the ribs, turning them from Clark Y to a racy modified Eppler section in the process!

I wondered why the root rib was not angled for dihedral, it's done at the fuselage fairing instead, clever!

I've got to a stage where I am ready to add the upper sheeting and capping strips but there is a very confusing set of dotted lines on the plan (see photo).

If there were instructions with this kit originally it might explain it better, in the meantime I will stumble on in the dark!!

Cheers

Gary
Old Feb 15, 2011, 06:21 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4,766 Posts
Go Gary go. I made a veneered foam stab for my Hi Phase from mahoaghney(sp). Will make the other half tomorrow. And just made a DLG pod from a newly made set of mold's. BTW how's Chris doing lately?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2011, 02:09 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,899 Posts
Mahogany? Or if you were Scots it could be Hogmanay!

It's only 1/4" sheet balsa isn't it, the Hi-Phase stab? Got a build thread going on that one?

Haven't spoken to Chris for a while, might see him at the Radioglide event in May if I go. I think he's keeping busy with the licensed range of Wot 4s, there is a new mega-sized one, the Wot 4 Extreme, might make a useful glider tug with a petrol engine in it.

Hard frost this morning, not tempted out to the shed just yet!!
Last edited by Gary Binnie; Feb 16, 2011 at 02:43 AM. Reason: Correct and add link
Old Feb 16, 2011, 10:41 AM
Joined Jan 2007
4,766 Posts
LOL's, I kind of like a S-8020 stab and the HP lay out was easily done with a single pivot wire technique. I had some wood left over from a sloper I just skinned. I laid 3/4oz. glass between the foam and the wood. It made it very stiff. I will be going to the South West Glider Contest this W/E. I will be helping out Doug Montgomery sell some product's, like his Pike Gauge. Designed to fit between inner and outer panel's of a Pike Perfect it make's it real easy to dial in the control surface's. He just got a laser cutter and has already cut me a set of S-7012 templates to make a wing for a Simprop Sagitta I've had laying around for way too long. I've also had the mold's for the fuse for quite a long time. They are rather poor, warped. And had been made over an original fuse, a twist and built in anti torq fin are sadly in attendance. TTL Dave.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2011, 10:53 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,899 Posts
Sounds technical! Too cold to laminate a cheese sandwich in the shed today, an attempt to sheet the wing ended in failure when the aliphatic refused to set!!
Old Feb 16, 2011, 08:25 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4,766 Posts
Hit it with the sealing iron, no don't HIT it just make believe it's film covering. It might work.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2011, 03:38 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,899 Posts
I've managed to do it now, got all the sheeting on the top.

Soon it will be so hot in the shed that I won't get a chance to move things before they set!!
Old Feb 17, 2011, 10:37 AM
Joined Jan 2007
4,766 Posts
That's why I have 2xx slow hardner for Arizona summer's. Have you ever worked with Resin Research product's? I'm pretty happy with them, I can get it locally and the price is right.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 22, 2011, 10:43 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,899 Posts
Nope, I don't use much resin, just 'Deluxe Materials 1 hour epoxy' for high stress joints.

More wing building today, sheeted the bottom of the wing at the root, added the lower rib capping strips and made a start on the outer panel.

I would normally build the outer panel separately but building it as an extension of the inner panel seemed to be the way to go here, just propped the inner panel up on an old battery until the dihedral brace sat level.

The wing chord was slightly wider than the fuselage fairing which would not have looked very good so I trimmed the trailing edge to match. I think the plan dimensions have drifted over the years!!

The wing is certainly designed solidly, I'm leaving out a ply brace at the trailing edge dihedral break. The spruce spars and webs for the tip panel might be overkill but I'm sticking with them.

The left inner wing panel weighs 138g, just recording this as I ended up with one wing quite a bit heavier than the other on the Hi-Phase and I don't quite know why that happened!

GB