HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 05, 2010, 06:52 AM
Bradford West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Apr 2010
1,533 Posts
Need to keep the fusegulge hidden IN the house, ABS hates the cold, makes it crack.

Don't forget, Loops on the vertical waggly bit, You know it makes sense

Regards Ian.
Circlip is offline Find More Posts by Circlip
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2010, 10:49 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,790 Posts
Yep, it's in the house but not very well hidden! I'm pretty sure this fuselage is glass but it makes sense to protect it from freezing anyway.

Closed loop will be a lot easier and will save messing about with a papier mache plug in the tail, shown on the plan to support the snake tube, I just can't imagine doing that!!

I tried the PVC tube over the joiner wire trick and it works, in fact it works too well! I normally just put a slight bend in one of the wires.

I'm wondering if there are instructions missing from this kit? Plenty of notes on the plan for me but someone building their first RC glider back in the 70s might have struggled.

Cheers

Gary
Gary Binnie is online now Find More Posts by Gary Binnie
Old Dec 06, 2010, 09:18 AM
Joined Apr 2010
1,533 Posts
Quote:
someone building their first RC glider back in the 70s might have struggled.
No Gary, we were inventing the methods then. Just have a look through the threads asking how the wings were held on? The Graupner hook ended plugs spring to mind, and the round wing keeper rods are on yours cos it would have been unethical to include in an English kit, despite it being a much better system, the Graupner Stainless blade and Brass rectangular box items.

Regards Ian.
Old Dec 07, 2010, 04:34 PM
United Kingdom, England, Dorset
Joined Apr 2010
930 Posts
Gary, could you post a photo of the plans and diagrams?
I would be interested in what the builder is confronted with.
alibongo is offline Find More Posts by alibongo
Old Dec 07, 2010, 09:54 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,790 Posts
Yes, sure. There is a photo of the whole plan in post No.6 but I've got an unwrinkled and white copy now and it would be nice to see the detailed steps in order. Good job digital film is free!

I'll check with the mods first. Kit and plan has been consigned to the loft to 'tidy up for Christmas', it's over two weeks to go, sheesh!

I am busy with a full-size job but I'm trying to chip away at this when I can.

Cheers

Gary
Old Dec 08, 2010, 04:29 AM
SB-28 UK Display Pilot
ENGLAND
Joined Jul 2001
2,428 Posts
Only one fixture today, look away if you dont want to know the score.
At half time the score is;

Mrs B 1 - 0 Gary Binnie

GeeW is online now Find More Posts by GeeW
Old Dec 08, 2010, 08:49 AM
Joined Apr 2010
1,533 Posts
Speaking of hooked plug retainers, I would be inclined to put a thicker root rib in the wing to re-inforce where the plug is. Shouldn't NEED it, but it's easier to build in now than cover the wing and have the root rib crack at some future point. Might be an idea to scan the 3D area in the bottom LH corner of the plan to show the posters that have never seen the system before and those that ask "How are the wings held on a Cirrus". No one said you can't COPY a good idea.

Regards Ian.
Old Dec 08, 2010, 01:35 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeW View Post
Only one fixture today, look away if you dont want to know the score.
At half time the score is;

Mrs B 1 - 0 Gary Binnie

'Fraid so GeeDubbya!! I need to get some more intelligent players on my side! I think it's 2-0 now because I mentioned that I might like to build a full-size job and that didn't go down particularly well either.

I've got the all clear to post piccies of the plan so I will take them in a bit and clog the site by posting them! I'll have a look at the root ribs, I suppose it depends what strength rubber band you intend to use.

Better get the camera warmed up.

GB
Old Dec 08, 2010, 04:00 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,790 Posts
Phew, beer time!!

I can't work out if there should be a separate instruction sheet, I think there would have been as there is no mention of covering, trimming or flying. I would think that these step numbers are actually figure numbers that would have been referred to in the instructions.

Perhaps someone knows if this was the case?

Cheers

Gary
Old Dec 08, 2010, 04:19 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4,591 Posts
I noticed that the stab bell crank is one of those injection molded type's. I had a had landing with my Fiesta once and everything sounded good when I worked the stick's for the next flight, well I should've LOOKED at the stab while work the elevator control stick because the stab bell crank had snapped. I don't have to tell you what happened when I launched. Recently I aquired some scrap 1/8" carbon plate and I make my own stab bell crank's, they're probably overkill but it's one less item I have to worry about. BTW very informative plan's.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2010, 04:51 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,790 Posts
Yep, they're good plans for sure.

I have looked at the stab bellcrank as I was worried about its age but it seems fine and is made from a flexible type of plastic which is more reassuring. Somewhere in here is a thread on a 1/4 scale Slingsby Vega, when I got it the bellcranks for the flaps were snapped, makes you wonder!

My pre-launch 'wiggle checks' always include a look at the surfaces, something I learnt in full-size flying, shame I didn't remember that though when I chucked my trainer sloper with the Rx turned off! It lived to fly another day.

Gary
Last edited by Gary Binnie; Dec 08, 2010 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Typo
Old Dec 09, 2010, 03:44 AM
United Kingdom, England, Dorset
Joined Apr 2010
930 Posts
Thanks, Gary! These photos are crystal clear.
alibongo is offline Find More Posts by alibongo