HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 10, 2010, 01:19 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,900 Posts
I try to keep the threads light hearted, someone said once that I had a good face for radio but I don't know what they meant exactly?!!!

Nah, rolling pins are fair game over here and the housewife's weapon of choice! (needs a black eye smiley here, must ask Jim B to provide one!).

Completely forgot to go the LHS today to get some new wood, doh. Must try to build something before we get to page two of this thrilling build log!

Cheers

GB
Gary Binnie is offline Find More Posts by Gary Binnie
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2010, 05:49 PM
United Kingdom, England, Dorset
Joined Apr 2010
973 Posts
Hi Gary, if you locate templates for the wing logos, I would be interested in a copy of them - I have Pete Beadle's Vortex.
I have just got a pair of winged veron transfers from ebay - where I am sure I saw your Vortex advertised a few days ago!
alibongo is offline Find More Posts by alibongo
Old Nov 23, 2010, 02:43 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,900 Posts
Hi alibongo (were'nt you a kids magician in the 70s?!)

I've been half-promised an original set from someone on another forum who started to build one 25 years ago, need to follow it up.

With a bit of luck we might have two for this year's nostalgia event. Must admit that I have not even lifted a scalpel, got the Christmas holidays coming up soon so I might get started then.

Cheers

Gary
Old Nov 23, 2010, 02:51 AM
United Kingdom, England, Dorset
Joined Apr 2010
973 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Binnie View Post
Hi alibongo (were'nt you a kids magician in the 70s?!)

I've been half-promised an original set from someone on another forum who started to build one 25 years ago, need to follow it up.

With a bit of luck we might have two for this year's nostalgia event. Must admit that I have not even lifted a scalpel, got the Christmas holidays coming up soon so I might get started then.

Cheers

Gary
No rush.
I have had my vortex for almost a year, and haven't flown it.
I reckon, having waited 40 years to get hold of it, a few more years won't matter!
alibongo is offline Find More Posts by alibongo
Old Nov 23, 2010, 02:57 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,900 Posts
Taking your time seems to be the way to go with this model!

I've just PM'd the other guy, fingers crossed.

There's an old releasable power pod for gliders (drops by parachute) on eBay at the moment, interesting concept.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 01:19 AM
Joined Jan 2007
4,851 Posts
Hi Gary, check my glider post on this forum, Glider I.D. who know's what it is but you might.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 24, 2010, 04:41 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,900 Posts
Had a look for you but drew a blank. It's worth doing something with it though.

Have you finished the Phase 5 yet?
Old Nov 24, 2010, 11:38 AM
Joined Jan 2007
4,851 Posts
My Phase 5 is off to the side for the time being but the fuse is done including the stab. The wing is done except for servo pocket's and wiring, have to bevel the flap's and aileron's properly and paint. In the mean time I've been working on Mike Freeman's enTicer, free plan from Q&EFI and My friend Doug Montgomery's Hybrid Interrorgator. I'll enclose a couple photo's
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 24, 2010, 11:47 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,900 Posts
Nearly there then, go on, get the P5 finished!!

I'm not committed to building the Vortex or anything else at the moment, have slipped into 'lazy mode' (helped by the fact that it is currently 2 degrees C in the shed!).

Still working up courage to ask to build in the house, my chances are slim!!

GB
Old Nov 24, 2010, 01:08 PM
SB-28 UK Display Pilot
ENGLAND
Joined Jul 2001
2,466 Posts
Coward!
I'm sure 'The Good Lady' is missing the smell of balsa and fibreglass resin in the lounge.........maybe
GeeW is offline Find More Posts by GeeW
Old Nov 24, 2010, 01:15 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,900 Posts
Or maybe not!! I should just do it, after all who is in charge around here?

But then again...!

I'll have to build some of this thing soon just in case I get warned for not building in a build thread!!
Old Nov 24, 2010, 06:13 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4,851 Posts
Oh I'm so lucky to have a 1,900sq.ft home That I'm ocupying by myself and have all my A/C in one place. Of course I could be out the door if it ever sell's. Today I had to bring some epoxy covered wing's inside cause of low temp's outside. I could paint the underside of the P-5 but the paint fume's wouldn't be acceptable to my benefactor. It'll happen when the temperature is at 70 or better and the wing can dry outside. In the meantime I guess I could do the other thing's on it that I mentioned in an earlier post.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2010, 01:24 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,900 Posts
Making a start

Well, the 'woman from Del Monte' she said no!! She didn't actually say anything, I could tell by the glare when I asked nicely that building in the house could cause some trouble!!

Off to the shed then and with the help of a fan heater and an oil filled radiator I got the temperature up to a tropical 13 degrees!

Thought I'd ease myself in with building the rudder, very straightforward although it's a variation of a stick frame with sheet panels added.

All the wood is new apart from the trailing edge which was perfectly usable.

GB
Old Dec 05, 2010, 05:54 AM
SB-28 UK Display Pilot
ENGLAND
Joined Jul 2001
2,466 Posts
Glad you have made a start. Is Mrs B talking to you again yet???
Suggest you go any buy some foam insulation for the shed to make life more comfortable.
GeeW is offline Find More Posts by GeeW
Old Dec 05, 2010, 07:02 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,900 Posts
She's not exactly talking to me just at the moment, especially after bringing some bits into the house to play with, oh well, c'est la vie!

Pretty chilly out there but I'm going to have a go at the tailplanes in a bit.

I pressed out the die-cut wing ribs and other parts last night, the balsa ones came out nicely but the ply had only been cut about half way through, still got to clean up the spar slots, what a struggle that was!!

There's a bit of a mystery with the tail joiner tubes (see photo). It says to put plastic tube over the inboard end of the larger tube and a couple of bits either side appear to be ply according to the drawing convention. I don't understand what this is for, if it is just to stop the wire going further into the tail then there are other ways of doing it, like crimping the end of the tube. Maybe it's to hold the tails on, thinking about it

I was going to go to the BARCS AGM today but I caught a post that said the trade stands and bring and buy sale would be before the meeting, not after as I assumed, shame.

GB