Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 07, 2011, 06:59 PM
United Kingdom, England, Dorset
Joined Apr 2010
964 Posts
So you have converted to 2.4 completely? Time to get rid of 35 meg, do you think? How much do you want for your Votex or is it sold ?
alibongo is offline Find More Posts by alibongo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2011, 07:04 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,802 Posts
I have got original adverts for the Veron Springbok in old magazines, I could have a look what it says out of interest.

You don't ever see KeilKraft Elmira kits on the market, that was a fair sized beastie, KK Chief kits go for silly money when they come up.

GB
Gary Binnie is online now Find More Posts by Gary Binnie
Old Jul 07, 2011, 07:27 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,802 Posts
Yes, just about converted, I have one electric biplane (E-flite Ultimate 3D FX) and one glider (Chieftain) still on 35 mhz. It wasn't so much the need to change completely to 2.4 but the need to use only one transmitter!

This time last year I was taking three transmitters to the field, a JR2610 35 meg for the gliders, a DX7 for the electric stuff (converted to 2.4 first to fix the glitching) and a Futaba FF6 35 meg for the IC stuff (to keep the oil off the JR!).

Now I have all the 2.4 gliders and electric models on a JR DSX9 Mk II and the power models on the DX7 (keeping the DSX9 oil free).

I lost count of the 2.4 receivers I had to buy recently and I have started to swap them between models as the expense was getting out of hand. I learnt RC on a slope in Scotland, a friend used to swap the receiver, switch and battery pack between two models (SAS Blur and Phase 6) on the hill, not easy wearing arctic gloves!! My Middle Phase was using a Sanwa 'Stac 4' 27 meg system with the dreaded dry battery pack thing with springs.

I'm not selling the Vortex, it's just having a little rest! Did you break yours? The blue one is back on eBay BTW.
Old Jul 07, 2011, 07:37 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,802 Posts
I would still be happy with 35 meg for gliders but using 2.4 does remove the problem of frequency control (waiting for the peg). You also can't bash the transmitter aerial into the glider when tensioning the bungee!

I read a lot about failures, especially with Spektrum AR500s. I must have 10 of those now, two AR6200s, one AR6110e and an AR7000. I have had only one failure, that was with the AR6110e in an Alfa Spitfire, when I got to the wreckage the receiver was clearly flashing a low volt condition, an ESC problem and not the Rx. All mended now but I need to upgrade the ESC (cheapo Chinese, too many servos and not enough cooling air).
Old Jul 10, 2011, 05:38 PM
Joined Apr 2010
964 Posts
Thanks for the replies, gary.I was just wondering about your Vortex, mine is still in one piece!I bid and "won" the blue Vortex, but felt that such a mint item could get more, and the vendor agreed.If he lists it for long enough, it will go for about 100, I estimate.I recently bought a Veron 1 1/2 Strutter (unbuilt) for 110, and think it was a good deal compared with the Park Zone SE5, because for me,it is both cheaper and three-quarters of the hobby is building and overcoming all the little snags that come up in construction.It is a bonus if it staggers into the air at the end!I have personally abandoned i.c., as it is not so easy to just go and fly as you can with electric.I have some lipo stuff, but haven't tried it yet.I believe the Sopwith can be converted successfully, if I can keep the weight down.How do you rate the Spectrum set that is recommended with the Parkzone Radian (DX6i 6-Channel Spektrum SPM6600)? I was thinking of getting the BNF Radian just for fun.
Last edited by alibongo; Jul 10, 2011 at 05:46 PM.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 01:52 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,802 Posts
The Radian is a good machine, I've been teaching someone on a buddy lead who owns one (and a Radian Pro). I think we used his DX6i briefly but I had problems connecting to it with the buddy lead (probably 'finger trouble' on my part).

Probably perfectly adequate for the Radian, I'm not sure but I think it uses AA battery cells and not a pack, that would put me off. I'm not sure either if the DX6i has gadgets like exponential or mixes, the manual will be on line at Spektrum's website. DX7s are coming on to the market used now, a very capable transmitter.

The Strutter would make a good electric conversion I'm sure, the Tiger Moth from the same range is a good flyer.
Old Aug 03, 2011, 07:51 PM
Joined Apr 2010
964 Posts
I bought a Futaba 7C, maybe not a good choice, but I am a Futaba fan, having had them for years.Good price, though.I'm finding it very hard to understand programming, but I'm hoping it will become easier when I actually want to do something, rather than just understand it theoretically. Also got a Radian Pro, flown it once, not madly keen on it as it needs a bit of watching, in my opinion, but not as much watching as my Ripmax Nebula.I'm sure it will be a lot more fun when I get to understand how to imput some of the wing features, with flap,etc.
Bought a set of Radian wings, maybe they will be more relaxing with the dihedral.Have decided to flog off all the old ic stuff on ebay, bit sad to do it, but it was a messy means to an end (getting a plane into the air),and electric gets you up, maybe not as quick, but cleaner.
Be nice to live near to a slope, and give up all power!
I shall give the vortex an airing soon - just want to hone a few psychomotor skills on the rtfs first!
Last edited by alibongo; Aug 03, 2011 at 07:58 PM.
Old Aug 04, 2011, 03:33 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,802 Posts
When you do air the Vortex please take some photos and post them here.

It sounds to me that you just need some confidence building with the sticks, are there any clubs near you or just someone that can help? I've been teaching the chap with the Radian and Radian Pro, first time I've taught someone RC and it's been quite rewarding (and scary at the same time!!).

I have been entrusted with a Mick Reeves Fournier RF-4 (thread in 'Scale-Fuel') which has flown several times recently, yesterday I dragged my Flair 1/4 Tiger Moth out of the loft and blew off 10 years of dust! They both have OS four-stroke engines which needed setting up. With leaking fuel tanks and rich mixtures blasting oil everywhere I don't know how I've put up with it!! On top of that I've been messing about with a diesel-powered 'Mini-Goodyear' control liner, even more filthy!!

I'm sure this phase of 'turning to the dark side' will pass and I'll be back to the gliders and electric jobs.

GB
Old Aug 04, 2011, 12:28 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4,682 Posts
Did you see the plan's for an RF-4 in the recent issue of RCM@E? They kind of blew it as they printed 2 fuse plan's instead of 1 dise and 1 wing. They said they'd make good on it though. I wish some one would do a RF-5 Sportavia as the one from Cox along time ago was my first R/C model I tried to fly. I just finished removing the mono-coat card board tube from a F/G lay-up to make the boom for the Siebel Si-201 that was a plan in RCM@E 04/2010. Something about it appealed to me.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 04, 2011, 04:11 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,802 Posts
I did hear about the plan mistake, the publishers are fixing things for free I believe.

I flew the RF-4 in the owner's presence tonight and was slightly embarrassed to retract the gear while taxiing!! Just knocked the switch I think. Restarted and flown, all ok.

The flying wires snapped on the Tiger Moth pulling out of a spin, I could tell it didn't look right (too much dihedral!) and landed very gently.

Need to do some stress-free gliding after all that excitement!!

GB
Old Aug 06, 2011, 05:20 PM
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Jan 2010
931 Posts
Nice Plane!

Thanks for the pictures, I always like going through other builder's build-logs. That plane looks really well done. I'm currently doing most of my flying on an old Ace RC "Easy Eagle" a friend gave to me as a kit still in the box from probably 15-20 years ago. Kinda fun bringing old kits to life.

-Paul
Pauliwog is offline Find More Posts by Pauliwog
Old Aug 06, 2011, 09:07 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4,682 Posts
Harley Michaelis is re doing the plan's to what it was originally. It was the first glider I hand caught on the slope, flap's had something to do with it. Can't wait to see the re-do.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 07, 2011, 01:39 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,802 Posts
Cheers Paul, I need to fly it some more and get some airborne shots.

House DIY for the next few weeks (but I'm sure I can still sneak out the to the flying field occasionally!)

GB
Old Aug 07, 2011, 06:17 PM
Joined Apr 2010
964 Posts
Going way off thread here.The Radian wings look as if they will fit the RadianPro okay, with just a bit of trimming.I do need to build a bit of stick time back up,just wanted a gentle floater like I remember the Impala to be.It will take a while to get used to new-fangled lipos, and foam construction, and programable radios!I thought retirement would be relaxing!
Old Mar 10, 2014, 07:43 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,802 Posts
There's an untouched Vortex kit on eBay UK now if you want one, will need deep pockets mind, 360 with a day to go, amazing!!

My Vortex is alive and well (hibernating actually!), just don't get the chance to fly it much.

GB