SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 09, 2010, 05:06 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,900 Posts
Build Log
Veron Vortex 100S

Another British high-performance, half-wood, half-plastic machine from the 1970s!!

I just can't help myself!!

It might come as quite a shock to some that I have picked a model that has not been drawn by Chris Foss but you can have too much of a good thing. I've wanted to build one of these for decades (why exactly, I don't know!).

What's a 'Veron Vortex' then?

Well, it's a 100" span glider advertised for 'Thermal soaring, hillside and task soaring' that features a fibreglass fuselage and built up wings and tail surfaces.

A kit cost about 40 in the late 1970s when it was released (could have been earlier).

Designed by Phil Smith who died earlier this year.

Will post some photos of the kit contents in a bit when the camera batteries have charged but here's an original advert for the beast.

Cheers

GB
Gary Binnie is offline Find More Posts by Gary Binnie
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2010, 05:55 AM
Bradford West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Apr 2010
1,687 Posts
Try search function Gary.

Regards Ian.
Circlip is offline Find More Posts by Circlip
Old Nov 09, 2010, 06:03 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,900 Posts
Cheers Ian, I found a 'wanted' thread and a 'List of Unobtanium slopers' (like it!) but not much more, did I miss anything?

Should note the confusion with the other Veron Vortex at this stage, a 66" span stick and tissue A2 glider, I think 'Replikit' are currently selling that Vortex.

Still waiting for the batteries to charge.

Gary
Old Nov 09, 2010, 06:06 AM
Joined Apr 2010
1,687 Posts
Try this one :- http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1232778

Note the 1/8" for competition use

Regards Ian.
Old Nov 09, 2010, 06:54 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,900 Posts
Ah, yes. Nice photo of Pete's model there.

I read that before about the wing area being over the limit but I ran it through Sailplane Calc and it says that it is under? I'm hardly likely to be threatening anyone at comps with it anyway!!

Photos coming.

GB
Old Nov 09, 2010, 07:52 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,900 Posts
What's in the box then?

I'm afraid you'll have to use your imagination for when one of these was new as this particular kit is by no means pristine or complete (but the 'bones' are there).

It's worth describing the contents in some detail for historic purposes or for someone who might be after one of these and might be wondering what they are going to get.

The box is quite battered, has a price tag on it of 54.50 and a date of January 1989. Has been stored in a loft (attic) and I would think a damp one.

Lifting the lid reveals the two-piece fibreglass fuselage, sheet and strip wood and a plan.

An unexpected bonus item is a plan for a 'Carrera Miro' free-flight glider. I guessed it was not to do with the Vortex as the writing is in German and it's much smaller! Curiosity value only.

The fuselage nose has been dropped at some stage and is cracked but it looks worse than it is. The halves fit together reasonably well, the lay-up is very thin.

Most of the wood is scrap through mildew action but luckily the die-cut ply and balsa rib panels are salvageable if a bit warped. The strip balsa and spruce (wing spars) are also not very happy, the shaped leading and trailing edge stock is pre-notched for the ribs but one leading edge is broken and the other is missing.

There is a two-sheet plan, nicely drawn. There does not seem to be any separate instructions but there are about 30 numbered scrap view steps dotted around. I built a Veron Tiger Moth from the same era and I think this was the same.

The waterslide graphics are missing (they would be unusable by now anyway), it would be nice if I could replicate them, perhaps from a scan from an unbuilt kit? A friend has offered some 'Veron' winged logos.

There is a small bag of parts (tail bellcrank and tubes etc) and an unopened tissue wrapped 'sausage' which I guessed was the wing joiners (I was right!!).

Not pristine as I mentioned but perfectly usable (and yes, I did know what I was buying beforehand!!).

Some photos.

GB
Old Nov 09, 2010, 07:54 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,900 Posts
Forgot the five sheets of included heavy weight tissue paper, free to a good home!

GB
Old Nov 09, 2010, 08:14 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,900 Posts
What to do with it?

After looking at it for a while I have various options:

Don't build it:

Many people just collect these kits and don't build them, I don't collect kits but if it was pristine I might consider it. The value of them is increasing but that would not be a reason for me to not build it. This one is 'tatty' anyway to be fair.

Build it with modifications:

I've had a couple of tips from others so far, one is to move the hook from the plan position (it is way out) and the other is to add extra layers of glass cloth to the forward fuselage as it can break. Spoilers are suggested on the plan and I do have some nice Graupner ones, just a bit worried about the extra weight of these plus a servo.

Build it as designed:

I tend to go down this route, introducing hidden mods where possible. I would probably replace the two snakes with a carbon pushrod for the elevator and closed loop for the rudder. The thin fuselage would be ok with gentle landings (I can do them now!). Looking at the design features (no fuselage joiner structure, 1/16th ply root ribs and a 16 SWG tow hook sewn to an 1/8th ply plate) I am guessing that it was not intended to be winch launched with a lorry starter motor!!

I'm not going to rush, my last build (Chris Foss Hi-Phase) was done a little bit under self-induced pressure as it had to be ready for a nostalgia day, next spring would be nice for this fella.

Better write a list of new wood that I need!

Cheers

Gary
Old Nov 09, 2010, 10:54 AM
Joined Apr 2010
1,687 Posts
Geeeez, nearly 50 years old, Phil Smith never designed a bad one, although the Cobra was found wanting.

It wasn't long after the issue of the kit that Veron changed the wing to comply with the 100S regs as there was virtually a "Set To" with the various competition organisers cos of the 1/8" saga when it was first issued.

Electric winch? When the Vortex came out, clubs only had one or two hand wound retraction ones then and really affluent ones had a bungie.

You could fit "Loops" on the elevator as well (Must do it on the Rudder) and rather than extra glass cloth, go for Carbon fibre in the fusegulge, much stronger and cheaper now.

Balsa cement or plumbers PVC pipe cement is good for ABS, take care, it's a solvent.

Regards Ian

Toe hook, 30Deg. forward of C of G
Old Nov 09, 2010, 11:31 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,900 Posts
Perhaps I've got a legal wing kit then?!!! Must have been contentious back in the day!!

Carbon is not good for 2.4 signals is it?

I watched a Veron Cobra crash on the slope at the Ivinghoe nostalgia meet this September, chap launched it off the slope, nosed up, wingover, crunch! Not too much damage though, don't know why it went in like that.

I've got a hand winder and several bungies so I must be really posh!!!!

Hope to make a start on it soon, just not sure which end exactly!

GB
Old Nov 09, 2010, 11:46 AM
Joined Jan 2007
4,851 Posts
Hi Gary, How are you? I once had a Veron Springbok, I bought it sight unseen thinking it could only be a South African Aerobatic glider, what a box full of wood. I'm sure you'll make the right disision on what to do with it.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 09, 2010, 12:59 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,900 Posts
I'm keeping well thanks, have got the itch to build something again (as you can see!).

I'm not really 'up' on all the Veron designs, I remember building a Cardinal, a Deacon (f/f power) and a Cirro-Sonic f/f glider, all a looong time ago! Got some plans in the loft for the f/f rubber scale range (I was more of Keil Kraft fan though) and a nice control line Spitfire 22.

Next dangerous step is to see if I'm allowed to build in the house again, it's not very inviting in the shed at this time of year.

Cheers

Gary
Old Nov 09, 2010, 05:08 PM
SB-28 UK Display Pilot
ENGLAND
Joined Jul 2001
2,466 Posts
Thought it had been too good for too long!
Well done on choosing an excursion from the 'Foss(e) Way" a nice change for you. The Vortex was always on my wish list as an aspiring RC glider guider....well out of my reach at the time
I look forwards to following your build on it, assuming the long suffering Mrs B lets you in the house? I bet that she's really thrilled and excited at the thought of another indoor build......

Best Regards

Gordon
GeeW is offline Find More Posts by GeeW
Old Nov 10, 2010, 04:01 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,900 Posts
Still haven't broached that subject yet!!! Maybe tomorrow!! Might get away with the tail surfaces on a little board, beyond that could see the rolling pin being brandished!!

Think I've sourced some graphics, a modeller started one 25 years ago and has the transfers, he's only half built it, should be ready for its maiden flight in 2035 then!!!

I'm just as bad, it's like Davis-Monthan in my loft.

Was musing at the original price of this kit, quite expensive then but wouldn't be that much more today (three times as much perhaps?) where other things have inflated stupidly. Radio gear is definitely cheaper in real terms. Off to work on the Tiger today, might be ready for next spring!

Cheers

GB
Old Nov 10, 2010, 12:16 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4,851 Posts
Gary thank's for my first laugh of the day, 2035 and Davis Monthan a place I can almost see from my local slope. I'm up for some minor surgery soon so I have to be near my land line to get a call from the hosp. for instruction's so I'm slamming together a mini BOT. BTW aren't rolling pin's illeagle over there?
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member