HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 08, 2010, 11:06 PM
Joined Sep 2009
43 Posts
Question
New to FPV and need some equipment

Hey guys. I am sure there have been a lot of posts like this one but I really need some help. I have decided that I am going to get an FPV system for the holidays. I have been flying planes for over a year and am a pretty good pilot.

Here is what I think I want, obviously there might be something that people would suggest otherwise, and I would love to hear those suggestions.

Right now I don't have a plane that would work for FPV so I am looking at buying a dynam Sonic 185
http://www.nitroplanes.com/newdyelbrso1.html
I have looked into the common ones like the easystar but I like the way this one looks.

I have a 2.4 ghz radio to the plane so I think a 1.3 ghz video system will be good for me.
I have been looking at either the 1.3 ghz basic or advanced package at readymaderc.com but am confused about the differences. Here are the criteria I would like the system I get to fill:
1. I would like pretty solid range, like a mile or more would be awesome. (A quick question, how do obstacles between you and the plane affect the video reception?)
2. I need some sort of OSD, nothing fancy but an arrow to point to where I am, airspeed, a battery monitor, and other basic features.
The battery indicator is something I am greatly confused about. Usually you have a different, smaller battery for the camera and video tx so what battery is the OSD monitor for, the plane battery or the video battery? I think it would be cool to have it on the plane battery but I don't know how that would work.

And since these packages do not come with goggles, I have read that the Fatshark RCV922 headset is really nice. I have also seen wired ones that are around $100 less than the wireless so I would like to get that instead of the wireless. I have not found a good place to buy this headset though so if I could get a link, that'd be nice.
EDIT: I have looked around some more and have found this base edition. Is it powered from the receiver or can I hook up a Lipo to it?
http://hobbywireless.com/cart/index....roducts_id=538

One thing I am confused about is whether or not the fatshark goggles will work with the readymaderc systems. I assume they will but I don't wanna get it wrong.

Another thing I would love to have is the video sent from the camera to be recorded. I'm not sure if there are enough outputs on the receiver in the readymaderc.com sytems for that.

I cannot tell you how much I appreciate this forum and the help people supply. I have seen so many awesome videos of FPV flight that now I just drool when I see one. If someone would take me under their wing and go back and fourth by PMs, I would be extremely appreciative but I will also check this thread everyday. Thank you so much in advance for all the assistance, I can't wait to get up in the air.
chachaya is offline Find More Posts by chachaya
Last edited by chachaya; Nov 08, 2010 at 11:36 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2010, 02:04 AM
Addicted to FPV
Ewa Beach, Hawaii
Joined Feb 2005
172 Posts
The receiver only has one out put so in order to use the glasses and a recorder you will need a av splitter or the eagle eyes fpv station. I also use a 1.3 ghz system with a 2.4 radio. I am eventually going to upgrade to UHF. Talk to Tim at ready made. He is a big help.
dblnaknak is offline Find More Posts by dblnaknak
Old Nov 09, 2010, 06:33 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,428 Posts
Check the FPV classifieds area. Lots of great gear that is already tested and working going for cheap. http://www.rcgroups.com/fpv-rpv-equi...cles-fs-w-710/

1.3GHz or 910MHz will work well. I have been using 910 mostly only because I don't care for the 1.3GHz RX units.

Excellent choice on an airframe!

Check my blog in addition to searching here. I have written dozens of tutorials to help you get started and quickly advance in this hobby. Feel free to PM me with questions. I'd be glad to help you out.

-Alex
IBCrazy is online now Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member