SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Sandancer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 08, 2010, 09:50 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,742 Posts
Build Log
F4U Corsair: Gotta' Have Flaps on this Bird!

In my opinion, the Flaps on the Corsair are AWESOME!

F4U Corsair Flaps (1 min 49 sec)

I have started the mod, and the starboard wing has been cut, channeled, hinged and pinned.

TIP: The design of the flaps being divided into 3 pieces on the Corsair was:
1: Because of the gull wing design it required the inner & center flaps to be separate by design of course.
2: The center & outer flaps were divided so the wings of the Corsair could fold up for storage on aircraft carriers.

The point I'm making here is....If your not freaky about scale, and you have no intention of making the wings fold up, which would be quite tricky with foam, then it would NOT be necessary to cut the center/outer flaps apart! They can be left as a 1-piece unit and still function.

Here are some preliminary pics of what I've done so far!

UP-DATE 11/11/2010: I've completed the starboard wing flaps today. I decided to go with the Dubro Heavy Duty Hinge & Cotter Pin . They worked out great when it came time to do the gluing. I was able to remove the cotter pins and separate the pieces while the CA dried so it wouldn't seep into the hinges. It will also allow the removal of one of the flaps if need be?

I used a piece of .020 High Impact Styrene 1 1/2" x 2" for the stiffener between flap 1 and flap 2. I ended up pinning flaps 2 and 3 with some CF rod and glued them together. I liked how solid this made flaps 2 & 3 that I decided to make flap 3 the driver. This worked out great now that I could run the linkage straight on to the servo.

After running the flaps thru numerous cycles I am very pleased with how easy they deploy, not to mention how kewl they look!

UP-DATE 11/15/2010: I got the flaps done and working flawlessly.
Sandancer is online now Find More Posts by Sandancer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Sandancer; Aug 23, 2012 at 08:57 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2010, 10:32 PM
Read My Blog!
Northern California
Joined Jan 2009
1,846 Posts
That is REALLY COOL. How are you going to actuate all 6 flap sections at the same time?

HT
HawkerTyphoon is offline Find More Posts by HawkerTyphoon
Old Nov 08, 2010, 10:48 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkerTyphoon View Post
That is REALLY COOL. How are you going to actuate all 6 flap sections at the same time?

HT

The 3 flaps are connected together so they'll work in unison. At this time I am thinking I will make the center flap the driver for each side. I'll make a reversed servo for one side and run both servo's thru a Y-Connector to the Rx. One channel is all I'll need.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 08, 2010, 11:06 PM
Read My Blog!
Northern California
Joined Jan 2009
1,846 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandancer View Post
The 3 flaps are connected together so they'll work in unison. At this time I am thinking I will make the center flap the driver for each side. I'll make a reversed servo for one side and run both servo's thru a Y-Connector to the Rx. One channel is all I'll need.
Ahhh, Now that you said that I see the pic. where it shows that.

Sounds pretty niffty, cant wait to see it done!

HT
HawkerTyphoon is offline Find More Posts by HawkerTyphoon
Old Nov 09, 2010, 06:54 PM
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,516 Posts
Gaz...very nice on the flaps
LICobra is online now Find More Posts by LICobra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FMS P-51 4 blade vs 2 blade
Old Nov 09, 2010, 07:33 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LICobra View Post
Gaz...very nice on the flaps
It's a work in progress Tony. I'm coming up with new innovations as I go.

Gaz
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2011, 02:47 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,633 Posts
Fantastic work!
Eddie P is offline Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member