Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 08, 2012, 01:45 AM
Scratch building addict
rotagen's Avatar
United States, CA, Felton
Joined Jan 2005
654 Posts
Where are you guys finding these for sale? pics look nice.
rotagen is offline Find More Posts by rotagen
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2012, 02:03 AM
nom
Registered User
nom's Avatar
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Mar 2011
1,477 Posts
Banana Hobby has it, there's another place in Ohio that also has it but I forget the name. It truly is a really nice looking war bird.
nom is offline Find More Posts by nom
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2012, 02:20 AM
I try to Fly
compa71's Avatar
Italia, Emilia Romagna, Reggio nell'Emilia
Joined Dec 2011
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotagen View Post
Where are you guys finding these for sale? pics look nice.
Hobbyking too

p-51
f4u
cessna 182
compa71 is offline Find More Posts by compa71
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 11:49 AM
Registered User
danpos's Avatar
Canada, NB, Fredericton
Joined Dec 2011
668 Posts
Corsair motor

After several failed attempts at flying the Corsair I broke two propellers and changed to an APC propeller.
It still won't fly . At full throttle you have to whip it as hard as you can.
Even then it crashed after a few moments.
My plan today was to throw the thing off the tallest place I could get at full throttle.
Either fly or die!
But the motor gave out before I could even do that.

So what I am wondering is has anyone been able to make a decent flying plane out of this chunk of foam yet?
If so how?

I would make a paper weight out of it, but it make me angry to even look at it.
danpos is offline Find More Posts by danpos
Last edited by danpos; Apr 26, 2012 at 12:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 03:43 PM
Weni, wedi, Java...
Brent Slensker's Avatar
Casper, Wyoming
Joined Nov 2009
1,097 Posts
I was going to put my piece of junk on a weight loss program by first soaking it in lighter fluid to take it COMPLETELY apart, take off the paint and remove ALL the silly hard plastic bits. Then I was going to carve out as much foam as possible from the inside...Now I have put the motor and servos in the spares pile and tossed the frame...
Brent Slensker is offline Find More Posts by Brent Slensker
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 04:09 PM
I try to Fly
compa71's Avatar
Italia, Emilia Romagna, Reggio nell'Emilia
Joined Dec 2011
24 Posts
now I fly with a GWS 5030 2 blade propeller (3s) or a GWS 5043 2 blade (2s); she fly like a rocket; in a windy day I used the 5043 on 3s.... she flew in vertical with 1/3 of throttle...

A friend of mine is building a carbon fiber cowl for the corsair..., on next step I will be change motor (inverted shaft)
compa71 is offline Find More Posts by compa71
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2012, 05:16 PM
Registered User
oldsneakers's Avatar
United States, CT, Hamden
Joined Jul 2011
294 Posts
If you haven't seen this review, this guy Z8 does a real nice job reviewing the Corsiar here:

http://z8rc.blogspot.com/2011/07/nan...ir-review.html

He concludes you have to use a 3S to make it fly.
oldsneakers is offline Find More Posts by oldsneakers
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2012, 07:50 PM
Dr John
pmpjohn's Avatar
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
subscribed

John
pmpjohn is offline Find More Posts by pmpjohn
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 12:26 PM
Registered User
Switzerland
Joined Oct 2010
58 Posts
have a flyfly f4u... didn't get it in the air with the stock scale prop... tried it with a gws 5030 and it flew on 2s but barely... i wanted to try a gws 5030 3-bladed prop but then i broke the motor with my home made prop adapter. since i got the flyfly for almost nothing it's not worth buying a new motor. right now i'm flying an airium corsair f4u everything stock with a 3s 460mah lipo and it's way more fun than the flyfly!
munzli is offline Find More Posts by munzli
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 01:25 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
whichwaysup's Avatar
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,647 Posts
Hey - interesting thread. I wish i'd seen it before I bought one. I bought it based on the z8rc blog's recommendation - was going to buy the HH micro corsair. My experience was about the same as everyone else on this thread - I did the 3S 350 MaH battery and a 6030 prop and to it's credit, it screamed and I could have flown it in a category 4 hurricane without problem. However, it had a definite deathwish. I plowed enough rows to grow corn with the thing. No two ways about it, it was more airplane than I was pilot, but for those of you considering it, here are a couple things I wish I'd known:

1) It's a micro, but without a lot of the advantages - you can't fly it in a small area, you can't fly it slowly, and well, you can't really see it very well at all.
2) It's a beautiful display model, but the color scheme is impractical - a good portion of my ditch digging with it was caused by losing orientation - the combination of the small size, high speed, and same top/bottom colors led to situations where one false blink led to a second of confusion, followed by a dust cloud, followed by a string of profanity.
3) No parts - I rebuilt this thing about 20 times - literally. What has it sitting permanently on the shelf now is the lack of parts.
4) Landing gear - flimsy would be a compliment - they are very brittle and not easily fix-able. I wish I'd fabricated my own when I still had them, but there is a particularly big hole out there somewhere with one of them buried in it.
5) If you DO buy/own one, watch your elevator. I noticed that at high speed, the one with the control horn moved more than the one without, which would throw it into a death roll. Imagine this - you do a loop, it starts to roll on you as you come out of it, dives towards the ground, and your attempts to "pull up" only send it into a tighter roll. Yeah, there are few ditches out there with that as the cause before I made a wire brace.

Take it for what it's worth, but if you are thinking about buying one of these, be careful. BTW, watch Pete's You tube when he is demo-ing these. The Mustang never flies . . .
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 03:16 PM
I try to Fly
compa71's Avatar
Italia, Emilia Romagna, Reggio nell'Emilia
Joined Dec 2011
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by munzli View Post
have a flyfly f4u... didn't get it in the air with the stock scale prop... tried it with a gws 5030 and it flew on 2s but barely... i wanted to try a gws 5030 3-bladed prop but then i broke the motor with my home made prop adapter. since i got the flyfly for almost nothing it's not worth buying a new motor. right now i'm flying an airium corsair f4u everything stock with a 3s 460mah lipo and it's way more fun than the flyfly!
try with 5043 (2s), she fly very well

Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post
Hey - interesting thread. I wish i'd seen it before I bought one. I bought it based on the z8rc blog's recommendation - was going to buy the HH micro corsair. My experience was about the same as everyone else on this thread - I did the 3S 350 MaH battery and a 6030 prop and to it's credit, it screamed and I could have flown it in a category 4 hurricane without problem. However, it had a definite deathwish. I plowed enough rows to grow corn with the thing. No two ways about it, it was more airplane than I was pilot, but for those of you considering it, here are a couple things I wish I'd known:

1) It's a micro, but without a lot of the advantages - you can't fly it in a small area, you can't fly it slowly, and well, you can't really see it very well at all.
2) It's a beautiful display model, but the color scheme is impractical - a good portion of my ditch digging with it was caused by losing orientation - the combination of the small size, high speed, and same top/bottom colors led to situations where one false blink led to a second of confusion, followed by a dust cloud, followed by a string of profanity.
3) No parts - I rebuilt this thing about 20 times - literally. What has it sitting permanently on the shelf now is the lack of parts.
4) Landing gear - flimsy would be a compliment - they are very brittle and not easily fix-able. I wish I'd fabricated my own when I still had them, but there is a particularly big hole out there somewhere with one of them buried in it.
5) If you DO buy/own one, watch your elevator. I noticed that at high speed, the one with the control horn moved more than the one without, which would throw it into a death roll. Imagine this - you do a loop, it starts to roll on you as you come out of it, dives towards the ground, and your attempts to "pull up" only send it into a tighter roll. Yeah, there are few ditches out there with that as the cause before I made a wire brace.

Take it for what it's worth, but if you are thinking about buying one of these, be careful. BTW, watch Pete's You tube when he is demo-ing these. The Mustang never flies . . .
landing gears removed, 2 semi-elevators fixed together with 3x0,3 carbon strip... 2 5x0,5 carbon strips added in both (internal and external) side of fusolage... fiber tape on bottom, to fix firmly wing with fusolage and best up/bottom view...
compa71 is offline Find More Posts by compa71
Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2012, 09:17 AM
Registered User
oldsneakers's Avatar
United States, CT, Hamden
Joined Jul 2011
294 Posts
I bought one of these guys. Here's my adventure so far. First few attempts to fly stock 2S hand launching only produced torque rolls into the ground and broken propellors. I followed Z8's advice and bought a Sky Lipo 3S 350 mah, the prop adapter he mentions and also the two blade propellors he used. This produced easy hand launchings into the air. Flying it is a challenge for me, it being so fast and hard to see. I managed to sever the fuse in half in the second flight. Hit a tree on the third. Disorientation is the biggest problem. It gets far away from you quickly. I painted the bottom white and light blue and it has helped some. Flourescent orange would be better but I couldn't bring myself to do it. Ha. I think it will be a decent flying plane once I get better as a pilot. What also helped me was going with these dual rates and expo.

D/R. Expo
Aler. 50%. 30%
Elev. 70%. 30%
Rudd. 70%. 30%

oldsneakers is offline Find More Posts by oldsneakers
Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2012, 09:34 AM
when down=up, up=expensive
whichwaysup's Avatar
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,647 Posts
Too funny. Yours looks like mine. Wrinkled nose, tons of mods to get it to fly, and a loss of some of the scale beauty that made me buy it in the first place. I learned my lessons on this one. Take z8rc recommendations with a big grain of salt (he was right on prop and battery but dead wrong on airplane) and you get what you pay for.
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2012, 11:14 AM
Registered User
will3kgt's Avatar
Grand Blanc, MI
Joined Jan 2007
461 Posts
I've had plenty of flights on my bird with a 2s set up and a similar setup as oldsneakers. Once I got the CG correct all was fine.....Except for the Spektrum brownouts that I got on occasion.
will3kgt is offline Find More Posts by will3kgt
Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2012, 11:19 AM
Registered User
oldsneakers's Avatar
United States, CT, Hamden
Joined Jul 2011
294 Posts
Thanks. I'm about $30 extra into the plane right now so it's still worth it. But one really good fuse destroying crash and it might be over.
oldsneakers is offline Find More Posts by oldsneakers
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build Log FlyFly Mirage2000 with NEW Inverted/Knife Edge/High Speed Videos! SkylineFlyer Foamy EDFs 105 Mar 05, 2011 11:26 PM
For Sale FlyFly 90mm F-4 ARTF SkylineFlyer Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 0 Nov 08, 2010 12:00 PM
Rave Huge FlyFly Sale Mix and Match 2 for $299.99 SkylineFlyer Foamy EDFs 0 Aug 31, 2010 09:20 PM
Discussion Which is best to buy for his flying behaves between FLYFLY MIRAGE or FLYFLY RAPTOR ? FedericoA Foamy EDFs 3 Jan 24, 2009 09:48 PM