HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 31, 2011, 11:16 PM
The effect is sadly temporary
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Joined Oct 2001
1,677 Posts
Underneath that 4mm thing is a regular 2mm motor shaft. If you carefully remove that, you can get a 2mm adapter just about anywhere.

For the p-51 I found a 30mm spinner that had a 2mm adapter built in.

Dan
Hippo is online now Find More Posts by Hippo
Last edited by Hippo; Aug 31, 2011 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Stupid phone autocorrect
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2011, 11:46 AM
Capt, USAF
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Feb 2009
922 Posts
So how exactly do you remove the prop? I removed the little screw through the hole in the nose, but it still doesn't want to pull off, and there isn't much space between the spinner and cowl... Can somebody dumb-down the procedure for me please?
Roswalt is offline Find More Posts by Roswalt
Old Sep 01, 2011, 11:52 AM
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Joined Oct 2001
1,677 Posts
Remove the cowl from the nose of the plane. Strangely the motor is mounted to the cowl, not the plane. Anyway, now you can hold on to the motor while you gently twist off the prop.

Dan
Old Sep 01, 2011, 11:52 AM
Joined May 2008
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roswalt View Post
So how exactly do you remove the prop? I removed the little screw through the hole in the nose, but it still doesn't want to pull off, and there isn't much space between the spinner and cowl... Can somebody dumb-down the procedure for me please?
Just remove the cowl and hold the motor with hand. There is a slight glue which will be lose once you turn the prop with hand.

check my link for pictures of what is going to come once prop is removed
http://www.rcindia.org/electric-powe...5288/#msg75288
hangingtough is offline Find More Posts by hangingtough
Old Sep 01, 2011, 01:20 PM
Capt, USAF
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Feb 2009
922 Posts
Thanks guys, that was just what I needed. Mine exhibited the same old hard left torque roll described by everyone else here - Little to no effect from full right aileron to counter, rudder also largely ineffective in stopping that initial roll. I thought they may have improved the formula with the latest batch but I was wrong. Lost a blade but they are shipping spare props in each box so it wasn't too bad to repair once you guys set me straight.

This plane is not the best flier out there for sure, but it looks the best of anything in its size class by a country mile. I'm going to either put it on display duty or list it for sale - Don't want to totally destroy it and with what I saw today that seems like a probable outcome.
Roswalt is offline Find More Posts by Roswalt
Old Sep 03, 2011, 08:42 AM
Gorilla Glue Expert
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Sep 2010
2,754 Posts
They will fly......

Just not the way we're used to these things flying. You are so right regarding looks - this plane looks better than just about anything else out there. It is a shame that it won't fly as well; FlyFly has a very heavy hand when it comes to making molds.

Grab a small (450 - 500mAh) 3S and try it again. It's gonna be a whizzer but it will fly just fine. Do NOT attempt to fly slow or it will bite you for sure - just keep it moving fast and it will put a smile on your face.
PikeStaff is online now Find More Posts by PikeStaff
Old Sep 06, 2011, 01:59 PM
Weni, wedi, Java...
Casper, Wyoming
Joined Nov 2009
1,100 Posts
My Corsair is sitting on the boneyard heap...never made it into the air!
Brent Slensker is offline Find More Posts by Brent Slensker
Old Sep 06, 2011, 09:45 PM
Gorilla Glue Expert
Joined Sep 2010
2,754 Posts
Ugh.....

Yeah, I thought mine would wind up that way, too. Especially after the second maiden, where it actually tried to fly but ran out of steam - quickly - about 10' up. However, with all of the corrections now made (stab set right, new/bigger motor, 3S batts) it actually flies pretty nice. A bit squirrely, to be sure, but it zings right along and shows fair stability even on 8 - 10 mph winds.

Just don't slow down. It ain't happy going anything even close to slowed down.
Old Sep 07, 2011, 01:10 AM
Weni, wedi, Java...
Casper, Wyoming
Joined Nov 2009
1,100 Posts
The motor and ESC are probably going into a Dumas PLZ-7...The pretty body is getting stripped and lightened...Pretty is nice but I don't do static models anymore.
Brent Slensker is offline Find More Posts by Brent Slensker
Old Sep 07, 2011, 09:03 AM
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Joined Oct 2001
1,677 Posts
It's pretty crowded inside that cowl. If you're not getting enough power, check to see if the motor wires are rubbing on the bell of the outrunner. I had that happen in my P-51.

I've never had a shortage of power normally though, even with all that lead in there.

Dan
Old Sep 07, 2011, 10:43 AM
Gorilla Glue Expert
Joined Sep 2010
2,754 Posts
Really?

In bone-stock form, the F4U would not/COULD not climb out on launch - even with a very stern overhand throw. With that tiny ESC mounted back up over the battery and tons of clearance in the cowl, it wasn't an interference problem; the plane just couldn't muster enough oomph to stay afloat.

I swapped motors only because I bought 4 little 2S/450mAh batts specifically for the plane. Even tho that worked, it only marginally did the job as the plane would stall at less than around 75% power. Hold it fairly level, let speed build, and it would at least do some circuits around the field. Get a good gusty headwind, tho, and it was game over.

Having gone to 3S batts, the plane will climb, loop, roll, almost scratch its' own back. Would this have worked on the stock motor? - don't know and don't feel like changing back to find out. I suspect it would have, but don't know. What I DO know is that - in stock form, with 2S batt - this thing is darn near twice its' advertised flying weight (10+ oz. vs. 6 oz.) and that has an enormous impact on final wing loading.
Old Sep 09, 2011, 06:00 PM
nom
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Mar 2011
1,848 Posts
I agree with going to 3S and the stock motor does work with 3S just don't WOT for a long periods of time. The instructions actually hint at using 3S lipos rather than 2S. The only time I had fun with the plane and success at hand launching was using a 3S lipo and going past 3/4 throttle. Unfortunately wasn't checking my batteries regularly and tried to fly with bad batteries and crashed a few times before realizing it was the batteries. Agree it is a nice looking plane but wished I had read the forums before trying to maiden it.
nom is offline Find More Posts by nom
Old Oct 01, 2011, 11:36 PM
Joined Jan 2009
155 Posts
anyone have recommended throws for low/high settings? p-51

thanks!
illustry is offline Find More Posts by illustry
Old Oct 08, 2011, 02:03 PM
Joined Jan 2009
155 Posts
successful maiden of p-51, with landing gear. added 25g to nose of mine. if it helps others, there is a "lower passage" that is good for putting the esc; this allows you to put the battery all the way forward. you will need to cut some holes in the front and back to get to the passage and route the wires/in out. i taped the 25g of (flattened) lead to the top of the battery. my throws, w/o expo, were 55/70 A, 50/85 E lo/hi rate, outer holes on everything. flies great, just get the CG right! CG is right where the landing gear cutout begins, if not a mm forward of it. can be a handful on takeoff due to [lack of] rake. keep it level til it's going fast enough (it will want to nose over). fun and a challege, and a looker.

also i'm using stock 2s 500mah battery on the stock 4-blades; i ordered about 4 extra props for under 10 bucks, but haven't needed them yet. you can probably double the battery capacity rather than adding lead. full throttle flying mostly. i would think the 2000kv motor/12A esc would burn up on 3s unless you made a drastic prop change.
illustry is offline Find More Posts by illustry
Old Dec 26, 2011, 05:11 PM
I try to Fly
Italia, Emilia Romagna, Reggio nell'Emilia
Joined Dec 2011
24 Posts
Hi, I have P-51, not added lead to nose, only positioned battery completely forward, near motor (nano 460mah 2s); I use 2 blade prop (gws 5030) It fly very well, 10/12 min

in bad windly day I broken it in the middle of fusolage, repaired with uhu por and fixed with 0,5x5mm carbon fiber strips. I added some strips for prevent wings brake and for better stability on fly

P.S. apologize for my bad english
compa71 is offline Find More Posts by compa71