HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 26, 2011, 05:34 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Stellenbosch, South Africa
Joined Apr 2004
2,056 Posts
Edit: wrong thread
MegaTesla is offline Find More Posts by MegaTesla
Last edited by MegaTesla; Jul 26, 2011 at 05:40 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2011, 02:07 PM
Joined May 2008
17 Posts
P51 Mustang

Hi,

I also have a issue of stall and turn to the left on 3 take offs.

also checking the CG is pretty confusing on a low winger.

Does anyone has the perfect CG point
hangingtough is offline Find More Posts by hangingtough
Old Aug 06, 2011, 05:13 PM
The Earth got in the way!
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,159 Posts
...edit
kuczy is offline Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 92" Edge
Old Aug 11, 2011, 11:42 PM
Joined May 2008
17 Posts
Can you please tell , how you mounted a GWS prop on the p51

The stock prop mount is very different than GWS or ApC mounting.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 11:23 AM
Capt, USAF
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Feb 2009
922 Posts
I picked up one of these last night - The green camo P-51. I've read this whole thread and it looks like I'll be adding a pretty good amount of weight to the nose in order to get a successful flight out of it. A few questions:

1. After all this time, has a general consensus been reached regarding the "magic number" of nose weight needed for the P-51D?

2. If it's flies so poorly out of the box, surely there have been tons of complaints - Could it really still be an issue on new stock? In other words, has anything changed yet?

I may not fly this thing very much at all (It looks amazing as a static, IMO) but it does need to fly occasionally on calm days to earn it's keep and I would really like to avoid jacking up the good looks. I also don't want my scale 4-blade prop to disintegrate, and you've all got me worried about that now too! I suppose some forward rake will be helpful, any advice on that one?

Last question I promise - Looks like the rudder works on the mustang, but is it tied at all to the tail wheel for steering, or is that wheel fixed in place?
Roswalt is offline Find More Posts by Roswalt
Old Aug 21, 2011, 08:52 PM
Gorilla Glue Expert
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Sep 2010
2,649 Posts
Well....

I bit for the F4U about a month ago, from Banana. All went well there, surprisingly, but the airplane is...... not so much.

Typical roll to right on takeoff. Tried throwing it, immediately went inverted, shoulda given down elev and it probably would have flown. Instead, tried to roll back and in she goes.

Back on the bench, I find the horizontal stab is positive to the main wing (stab has upward pitch when wing is level) - how nice . Correct that, try another hand launch. This time tries to climb out, then rocking starts, it stalls, that's that. CG is a little too far back still (abt. 1-1/8" from LE) and that's my bad.

Now have repowered with a GWS 28mm motor, 7x3.5, and balance a hair less than 1" from LE. When rain/wind/wrath of God subsides it'll get another chance.

A beautiful model but doesn't fly worth s**t out of the box. Crabbed to FlyFly and - surprise!! - they have ignored it. At $80 delivered I suppose it's not awful, but not worth the money when all gets figured in.
PikeStaff is online now Find More Posts by PikeStaff
Old Aug 22, 2011, 02:08 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PikeStaff View Post
I bit for the F4U about a month ago, from Banana. All went well there, surprisingly, but the airplane is...... not so much.

Typical roll to right on takeoff. Tried throwing it, immediately went inverted, shoulda given down elev and it probably would have flown. Instead, tried to roll back and in she goes.

Back on the bench, I find the horizontal stab is positive to the main wing (stab has upward pitch when wing is level) - how nice . Correct that, try another hand launch. This time tries to climb out, then rocking starts, it stalls, that's that. CG is a little too far back still (abt. 1-1/8" from LE) and that's my bad.

Now have repowered with a GWS 28mm motor, 7x3.5, and balance a hair less than 1" from LE. When rain/wind/wrath of God subsides it'll get another chance.

A beautiful model but doesn't fly worth s**t out of the box. Crabbed to FlyFly and - surprise!! - they have ignored it. At $80 delivered I suppose it's not awful, but not worth the money when all gets figured in.
Have you tried contacting BH?? They are really good at working with the products they sell.
bluemeane is offline Find More Posts by bluemeane
Old Aug 22, 2011, 02:26 PM
Gorilla Glue Expert
Joined Sep 2010
2,649 Posts
Honestly....

This isn't BH's problem. It IS a FlyFly issue, and one they're not responding to.

Horizontal stab, as delivered was POSITIVE to the wing (stab LE upward to wing level LE), as checked with a Robart incidence meter. The way it wanted to fly inverted was a tip-off. That is now corrected. Having to hang a ton of weight to make balance is an awful proposition on a nano-sized plane, and indicative of something else wrong with the design. Out of the box the plane was 251 grams (8.8 ounces) - WAY OFF from the 160 or 170 grams they say it is. Add another 30 gr. for the batt and we're right around 300 grams, or 10-1/2 oz. That's huge! - and puts the wing loading up in the 20 oz/s.f. region....meaning, it's gonna stall unless it's screaming along.

Which is OK, by itself - but the plane, as delivered to me, just isn't what they claim it to be. All will all be OK in the long run - it's just an unexpected and unpleasant surprise.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 08:34 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PikeStaff View Post
This isn't BH's problem. It IS a FlyFly issue, and one they're not responding to.

Horizontal stab, as delivered was POSITIVE to the wing (stab LE upward to wing level LE), as checked with a Robart incidence meter. The way it wanted to fly inverted was a tip-off. That is now corrected. Having to hang a ton of weight to make balance is an awful proposition on a nano-sized plane, and indicative of something else wrong with the design. Out of the box the plane was 251 grams (8.8 ounces) - WAY OFF from the 160 or 170 grams they say it is. Add another 30 gr. for the batt and we're right around 300 grams, or 10-1/2 oz. That's huge! - and puts the wing loading up in the 20 oz/s.f. region....meaning, it's gonna stall unless it's screaming along.

Which is OK, by itself - but the plane, as delivered to me, just isn't what they claim it to be. All will all be OK in the long run - it's just an unexpected and unpleasant surprise.
If it was bought from BH it may not be their issue, but they will fix it for you. They stand behind what they sell.
bluemeane is offline Find More Posts by bluemeane
Old Aug 23, 2011, 08:39 PM
Gorilla Glue Expert
Joined Sep 2010
2,649 Posts
Probably so.

Still - I personally have a hard time obliging this vendor to fix what was not their creation to begin with. Would they exchange it for a correct unit? - likely they would. But I have modified the airframe, resetting the horizontal stab to where it should have been in the first place. Hence, the reason I would not/cannot look to BH to correct the issue.

At any rate, the winds were only about 6 or 7 mph this afternoon, so off we went. With the new GWS motor and a 7x3.5 on it, it flew. Actually, it flew well so long as I didn't try any serious vertical movement, like loops or fast climbs, which killed the speed. This thing stalls way faster than any other plane I have - an expected consequence of that high wing loading. Also, it is clear to me now that the 2S batts aren't enough, and I have some 3S 500's coming. The second flight ended the day, as it stalled going into a gusty headwind (too slow on my part, I think), stalled, and would not recover from the spin. Also, just not enough altitude. It seemed like the elevator didn't have enough ooomph - which is odd because it had plenty in level flight.

All good. Feeling better with each change. I'm thinking the 3S batts are the key and will deliver enough speed to keep it flying right. Also less wind . While it was moving, it sure looked good - a lot like my big FMS Corsair.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 11:49 PM
Grand Blanc, MI
Joined Jan 2007
461 Posts
I've had over 40 flights on mine..It's been in the hanger for about a month though....I have to glue the motor back together. But for the most part, this is a great flying plane once the bugs are worked out, and looks great in the air..People still ask when will I fly the little P-51 again.
will3kgt is offline Find More Posts by will3kgt
Old Aug 26, 2011, 07:39 PM
Joined May 2008
17 Posts
stall stall

see how the plane does not want to fly even correct CG
flyfly mini p51 mustang maidan crash (0 min 11 sec)
Old Aug 27, 2011, 10:47 PM
Grand Blanc, MI
Joined Jan 2007
461 Posts
I've had the same problem. You gotta throw the P-51 stright and true. It can get squirly on hand launches.
will3kgt is offline Find More Posts by will3kgt
Old Aug 28, 2011, 01:13 PM
Gorilla Glue Expert
Joined Sep 2010
2,649 Posts
Put a small (500 or under) 3S in there and tell us how you make out. If it's like my Corsair, you will find a different plane.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 06:31 PM
nom
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Mar 2011
1,477 Posts
Can anyone tell me how to install the GWS 5040 prop onto the stock 4mm motor shaft onto both the P51 stand and the F4U?
nom is offline Find More Posts by nom