HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 25, 2012, 02:17 PM
United States, CT, Hamden
Joined Jul 2011
333 Posts
That's a fun video. If only these model planes would sound like the mustang in the video. I didn't know they made a P40 in the this Fly Fly series. Based on my luck with a 800mm P40, it might be a handful. But who knows.
oldsneakers is offline Find More Posts by oldsneakers
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2012, 02:34 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
3,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimJohnson View Post
Umm. Wow. Inspiring. Particularly the part that showed the airplane struggling to fly well. Love the truth in advertising on that one!
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Jul 25, 2012, 03:25 PM
Split S
United States, CA, Rancho Santa Margarita
Joined Jul 2006
2,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsneakers View Post
That's a fun video. If only these model planes would sound like the mustang in the video. I didn't know they made a P40 in the this Fly Fly series. Based on my luck with a 800mm P40, it might be a handful. But who knows.
I tried to fly the P-51 with the production radio, and found that the control travel was too much for my liking. So I ditched the radio and receiver and installed my choice of computer radio. Once I did that I was able to program what I like into the control. I keep the thing on the back seat of my car. It is my lunch time toy now.
TimJohnson is offline Find More Posts by TimJohnson
Old Aug 05, 2012, 10:30 AM
Joined Jul 2011
333 Posts
The farmer finally appeared at the field we've been using. He wasn't too happy so we won't be going there any more. We drove down to a state park. Real nice field except for people and dogs running around and a line of trees not too far away. Of course first time up with the FF corsair I clipped some branches and down it came. I was lucky it came down. The motor is just barely turning so I think one of esc wires broke off. But no foam damage by some miracle. That plane is still flying great.
Old Aug 06, 2012, 05:54 PM
Split S
United States, CA, Rancho Santa Margarita
Joined Jul 2006
2,047 Posts
Quote:
The farmer finally appeared at the field we've been using. He wasn't too happy so we won't be going there any more. We drove down to a state park. Real nice field except for people and dogs running around and a line of trees not too far away. Of course first time up with the FF corsair I clipped some branches and down it came. I was lucky it came down. The motor is just barely turning so I think one of esc wires broke off. But no foam damage by some miracle. That plane is still flying great.
Keep us posted.
TimJohnson is offline Find More Posts by TimJohnson
Old Aug 23, 2012, 11:30 AM
Joined Jul 2011
333 Posts
It's awful quiet on this board. I'm surprised there are'nt more Fly Fly mini fans out there. I did 3 batteries yesterday and had a great time. That little corsair is a blast. It made my new 50" T28 look very slow.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 11:47 AM
Joined Apr 2012
3,118 Posts
I think I've officially given up on mine. I bought the little 1S UM corsair from HH and it's giving me my "little" corsair fix, and I'm planning ordering the new full sized PZ corsair as soon as it comes out - with retracts!
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 23, 2012, 01:43 PM
I can crash anything
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined May 2012
177 Posts
While I haven't completely given up it has moved way down on my list to fly. I had such high hopes too
Rescuejim is online now Find More Posts by Rescuejim
Old Aug 23, 2012, 01:50 PM
Grand Blanc, MI
Joined Jan 2007
481 Posts
Quote:
It's awful quiet on this board. I'm surprised there are'nt more Fly Fly mini fans out there. I did 3 batteries yesterday and had a great time. That little corsair is a blast. It made my new 50" T28 look very slow.
I haven't flown mine for awhile. I'll take it up tonight I think.
will3kgt is offline Find More Posts by will3kgt
Old Aug 23, 2012, 11:14 PM
United States, PA, Jonestown
Joined Jul 2012
7 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out how to mount a motor. I bought the 'kit' from banana and was wondering how they heck the motor mounted. Didn't realize it was on the cowl.
mighty_mace is offline Find More Posts by mighty_mace
Old Aug 24, 2012, 08:02 AM
Joined Jul 2011
333 Posts
Hey whichwaysup, how do you like the UM corsair? I had the mustang and still fly the um T28. They are fun planes. And you can fly them almost anywhere.

Mighty_mace, if I had bought the kit, I think I'd find a way to put a motor mount on the fuselage. Drill out the center of the cowling. Maybe just epoxy a peice of wood to the nose for the firewall.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 08:21 AM
Joined Apr 2012
3,118 Posts
Quote:
Hey whichwaysup, how do you like the UM corsair? I had the mustang and still fly the um T28. They are fun planes. And you can fly them almost anywhere.
Quote:

Mighty_mace, if I had bought the kit, I think I'd find a way to put a motor mount on the fuselage. Drill out the center of the cowling. Maybe just epoxy a peice of wood to the nose for the firewall.
Old Sneakers - I LOVE it. I'd read just about the entire thread on this forum and was convinced it would turn out like the Mosquito - mediocre at best, highly sensitve to wind, and generally a bad design - so I bought the Fly Fly instead. It always bugged me though, so I kept my eyes open for a used one for sale at a good price. It's AWESOME. I couldn't be happier with it. It's at least as powerful as the mustang and looks so good in the air! I replaced the 3 blade prop with the mustang prop (the 3 blade was broken on the one I bought), so I don't know how it flew with that one. Apparently the newer once have fixed the CG issue (battery tray is cut further up) and have better servos.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 24, 2012, 02:50 PM
Joined Jul 2011
333 Posts
That plane is very tempting. I've had my eye on that Corsair for a long time. I watch hobb-e-mart on ebay looking a deal like you got. The last UM I got was the T28 and I noticed they made the battery pocket very long so you could adjust the CG. My old UM mustang and cub didn't have that.

I bought an 1000mm ArtTech Corsair which is a bit smaller than the PZ. It flies very nice too. I ordered some 4S batteries to speed it up. I guess the Corsair body shape is like the T28 in that most versions of it fly pretty good.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 11:18 AM
Joined Apr 2012
3,118 Posts
Guess this makes it official

Nothign bugs me like having an airplane hanging around with now prospect of ever flying again. I toyed with the idea of trying to salvage it one more time, but int he end, there was so much wrong with it, before and after the last crashes, that it just wasn't worth it. On the other hand, nothing is more heart wrenching than destroying an almost-fixable airframe to get the parts out.

This morning, I finally got the motivation to do the latter to my Fly Fly Corsair. I needed to make a bomb drop for my full sized PZ T-28 to drop parachutes for the kids when they come to the flying field with me. I needed a servo . . .

It was time.

So, I guess this makes it official - I'm out of the fly fly corsair business.I actually see myself buying another one if it ever shows up for the right price, but for now, she's parts.

Old Sneakers, keep the faith. You've been about the most committed person to making this thing worth owning! THink I'll remain subscribed and watch how it all plays out.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 25, 2012, 11:22 AM
United States, PA, Jonestown
Joined Jul 2012
7 Posts
Any interest in selling the servos for the ailerons? Having trouble finding any that fit
mighty_mace is offline Find More Posts by mighty_mace