HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 08, 2010, 07:40 PM
The Earth got in the way!
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,280 Posts
New Product
FlyFly Warbirds

I'm not sure if this should go here or in the regular war bird thread. I bought the new FlyFly P51 at the JR. Indoor. It's almost the same size as the Cox war bids. Anyway they are pretty new. The guys selling them told me I might just be the first buyer anywhere. It's EPO, 2s 450mah included, brushless, extra prop, and the details are great. It doesn't have any thrust angle built in and the stock prop is very brittle. I've broke 4. Anyway comes with lights on the wings, scale gear, drop tanks, and prop. I just can't get it to fly. It goes about 15yrds and then just flips over and noses in, even after I put some down and right thrust into it.

Here is some pics. There is a Corsair and a Cessna too.

kuczy is online now Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 92" Edge
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2010, 08:51 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,370 Posts
Nice! It has great detail! But the flying part sounds pretty bad. Maybe it was meant to be one of those airplanes that you fly rarely and it stays on the display shelfs. How much were they? How many channels? What radio equitment?
Cheese5 is offline Find More Posts by Cheese5
Old Nov 08, 2010, 10:32 PM
Joined Feb 2007
6,280 Posts
4Ch. Aileron, Elevator, Rudder, and Throttle. Ailerons are independent servos but, are Y ed together. They were $125. Which for a Brushless 4Ch with the 2s 450 20c and all the servos, lights and servos installed I didn't think was to bad. All you have to do is install the main wing with 1 screw and your done. Flying has been an issue but, I'm working to figure it out. The model looks to good not to get it flying correctly.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 08, 2010, 11:36 PM
Ft Lauderdale, FL.
Joined Jan 2007
2,243 Posts
Dude that prop on that P51 you bought looks suspect...does the plane glide at all??
Machy2k is offline Find More Posts by Machy2k
Old Nov 09, 2010, 12:09 AM
Joined Feb 2007
6,280 Posts
Yes and as I said the prop is brittle. It does want to fly and fly fast. The good and bad thing about the prop is it's scale looks. Looks nice but, hard to replace with the spinner intagraded with the blades. The thrust angle, or lack of one is the main issue I believe. It climbs out okay for a second or two then rolls over and spirals in. I'm using a prop saver an a GWS 5030 to save the scale props.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 09, 2010, 09:09 AM
Joined Aug 2007
709 Posts
First, let's assume that the batteries are, of course, in good shape and fully charged and that the COG is correct (let's also assume that you "cycled" battery 4-5 times before attempting your first flights).

Having said that; little or no thrust angle would, IMO, require the aid of a computerized radio system and/or a very careful (factory) setup.

I'd also say that you're going to need a certain degree of rudder trim "offset" so as to counter torque swing. Also consider trying a prop with slightly less pitch and/or diameter.

Another thing to consider would be to add some wing tip washout (unless already equipped) so as to reduce tip stall. Some people claim that you can alternatively dial in a little "up aileron" on both wings.

Other considerations would/could be:

A bad electrical/electronic connection.

Excessively cold weather.

Miss aligned wing and/or tail section.

HTH
FMB42 is offline Find More Posts by FMB42
Old Nov 09, 2010, 09:38 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
It certainly looks nice! What you're describing sounds like a stall condition rather than a thrustline issue. It could be the CG is too far back, or the wings have some wash-in (or both). If you're flying it with the drop tanks and landing gear in place then first I would remove those. They're probably causing excess drag and adding weight. Once you get it flying you can try putting them back on. Next if they gave you a CG, then disregard it, it may be wrong (all too common in R/C). Use this CG calculator instead:

http://www.scaleaero.com/CG_Calculator.htm

Set your CG at the calculated mark or a little ahead of it. Next check the wings and make sure they don't have any wash-in. It would be preferable to have a bit of washout, or alternatively you can put a little reflex ("up" trim) into the ailerons.

Good luck!
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Nov 09, 2010, 10:38 AM
Post Digger
San Diego, CA
Joined Oct 2005
461 Posts
I'm assuming you're doing a hand launch? It's rolling death spiral may be the result of a slowing and stalling after your initial toss. Your climb out might be too steep for your power plant to handle. What size brushless motor is in that bird? what is the flying weight with batteries? Do you know how much thrust that motor/prop combo puts out? what radio gear are you using?

It's a really nice looking bird.
Baratacus is offline Find More Posts by Baratacus
Old Nov 09, 2010, 01:03 PM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Motor City USA
Joined Mar 2007
3,667 Posts
Move that battery forward and get her in the air nose heavy first and move that battery back each flight until you are happy. Sounds like a tail heavy stall condition.
kydawg1 is online now Find More Posts by kydawg1
Old Nov 09, 2010, 01:39 PM
Joined Feb 2007
6,280 Posts
Well I'm flying on my JR 9 and I took off all the tanks and gear before the first flight. As for the lipo cycling no. Never have, probably never will. I do take it easy on any new battery. Trying not to go WOT at all. There are no bad connections. And let's be clear. This is not my first plane. From 3D Hobbyshop AJ's and SHP's, my twin Deuces Wild and a lot of EDF's which is what I mainly fly. Like my SAPAC Viperjet. I also fly modded Strykers and PKZ warbirds and PKZ micro stuff. So I'm not new and have a very good understanding of setting up a plane.

This little guy is giving me a fit though. I'm thinking it's tail heavy. With the battery all the way forward it still wants to rock back and forth uncontrollably. As for the prop as I said the scale props are to brittle. Zero flex and thin. Bad combo. I'm using a GWS 5030 which gives it nice speed. After about 15yards of straight and true flying it starts to rock back and forth stalling each wing until you can't recover and it goes in. I'm going to add some washout and see if that cures it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 09, 2010, 02:03 PM
Still AWD, Subaru
St.Louis
Joined Nov 2006
884 Posts
is it gaining any airspeed?

Washout was my next idea, good luck!

Model looks great, hope its got a good flier in it as well.
ShawnM4kq is offline Find More Posts by ShawnM4kq
Old Nov 09, 2010, 02:10 PM
Chicago Northwest subs
Joined Jan 2007
2,240 Posts
Are you underpropped with that 5030? Seems like it might be. How do the amps compare to the stock prop. That plane reminds me of the Kyosho Airium series of planes and the E-Flite P-40. About the same size. Nice looking plane.
MR2
Edit: The foam looks pretty coarse now that I look at it more closely. Definitely not from the same place, but a nice effort.
minirips2 is offline Find More Posts by minirips2
Last edited by minirips2; Nov 09, 2010 at 09:59 PM.
Old Nov 09, 2010, 07:45 PM
Ft Lauderdale, FL.
Joined Jan 2007
2,243 Posts
Range check that radio also...
Machy2k is offline Find More Posts by Machy2k
Old Nov 09, 2010, 10:32 PM
Joined Sep 2003
366 Posts
Where can I get one? Any links?
addict is offline Find More Posts by addict
Old Nov 09, 2010, 10:44 PM
Joined Feb 2007
6,280 Posts
http://www.readytoflyplanes.com/ is who I bought it from at JR. Their website in still under development but I think you can contact them through there. I talked to the owner Dan and he had to put 48gr in the nose to get the cg correct but, it flew after that. I had to add 40gr to the mustang. I'll test it out tomorrow with the washout.
RCG Plus Member