SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 24, 2011, 05:30 AM
Crazy Cessna Owner
Australia, SA, Windsor Gardens
Joined May 2001
1,935 Posts
not picking on your design at all, works pretty damn well, I need to make one soon so I collected some ideas.
Robbie d is offline Find More Posts by Robbie d
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2011, 05:46 AM
jbc
WHO's your DADDY!!!
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Sep 2009
5,488 Posts
New FMS Zero

Hmmmm I wasn't even going to consider the new FMS Zero knowing what they had coming up later in the year but going by the pics I'm VERY impressed

-Split flaps
-Can't even see the foam beads, either paint application has smoothed them out or something else has changed
-Those dicky plastic retracts mounts that are visible from the top of the wing are gone so maybe FMS have changed the mount system to something better? ...or worse
-Overall look is very good IMO
-Nav lights
-Spinner/prop looks to be correct shape

I think the Zeke will sell quite well

jbc is offline Find More Posts by jbc
Old Jun 24, 2011, 05:54 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jun 2011
99 Posts
oh! an Adelaide thread
lofi is offline Find More Posts by lofi
Old Jun 24, 2011, 05:58 AM
Joined Jul 2007
8,880 Posts
Welcome Lofi. Where u from?
Zootster is offline Find More Posts by Zootster
Old Jun 24, 2011, 06:05 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jun 2011
99 Posts
I'm from Aberfoyle Park, I think the HMAC is my closest club, although I've only ever flown in fields around kangarilla/Meadows/Echunga.

Will have to pop along to one of the HMAC sundays at somepoint and see what I'm missing out on
lofi is offline Find More Posts by lofi
Old Jun 24, 2011, 07:10 AM
Crazy Cessna Owner
Australia, SA, Windsor Gardens
Joined May 2001
1,935 Posts
anyone coming out tomorrow?
Robbie d is offline Find More Posts by Robbie d
Old Jun 24, 2011, 07:31 AM
Life begins at transition
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,593 Posts
if it's not blowing a gale...
Odysis is offline Find More Posts by Odysis
Old Jun 24, 2011, 07:44 AM
jbc
WHO's your DADDY!!!
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Sep 2009
5,488 Posts
likewise, wind depending Ody did ya get the retract fixed on the Mirage?
Old Jun 24, 2011, 08:11 AM
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,593 Posts
yeah, it's still not filled/primed/painted, but it's servicable
Old Jun 24, 2011, 08:42 AM
jbc
WHO's your DADDY!!!
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Sep 2009
5,488 Posts
I know that damn grass sux when it's not kept short I've discovered a pretty budget fix for some sturdy-ish etracts for the 90mm flyfly/topgun jets or 40-60size foamies. For the mains use these HKD514's which are the next size up from what you got(HKD312's) on there(your Mirage) now but are basically the same price

Now where everything falls down is the all important little nose steering bits n pieces that you can't seem to buy separately ANYWHERE, trust me I've looked! BUT....RC-castle sell a nose steering version BUT in the slightly smaller HKD312 size. Doing it this way allows you to put your own struts and is probably the cheapest. Next choice would be to get the set of DSR's like you got on your Mirage but that has the teeny size nose wheel which can't be changed would prob be more suited to 70mm jets than 90's
RC-castle do have a fairly decent selection of well priced etracts with struts if you can be bothered looking through them.
The next would be EPF DSR's which HK now have at fairly decent price.
Annnnnd for those with the budget the ultimate would be (no not the Eflite's Zoot ) but these awesome Lander full metal etracts with sprung struts

Why do I know so much about 'who's got what' for etracts in planes this size? because I'm

Sunday looks better than tomoz btw but I guess will just wait n see

Old Jun 24, 2011, 10:26 AM
Australia, SA, Ingle Farm
Joined Feb 2010
810 Posts
Hopefully its not too windy in the morning, put the carbon fibre parts on the trex and really hoping it goes well, I did a quick test yesterday in the kitchen and the headspeed has increased... a lot lighter then the plastic blades.

With my 40c nano tech batteries that are coming, should be an awesome machine.. long as it doesnt break something else like it has last 2 weeks.

I bought some trike e flite retracts for the Habu when they came out... worked a treat... for 125 bucks wasnt too bad either.. In the end of it all, I bought a new airframe and thought to hell with them!

Then that airframe caught fire after 3 flights... well 2 and a half.

Thanks for the second part of the vid JBC.... works a treat, definitely going to give that a try! Where the line divides off into 2 parts... did you just take two lengths of line and join them together and then join that to the existing one? Or carry one the whole distance and tape the second line onto that? Hope that makes sense...
AdMan is offline Find More Posts by AdMan
Last edited by AdMan; Jun 24, 2011 at 10:39 AM.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 07:41 PM
Glow 😡 no no no
Australia, SA, Evanston Park
Joined Mar 2010
4,846 Posts
Hey cody have we had any lucky with making the flightbox and path wheelchair friendly.
aeromaniac is online now Find More Posts by aeromaniac
Old Jun 24, 2011, 09:29 PM
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,593 Posts
Hey JB,
They are the retracts I've got in the Mirage
One weak point was the mounting tray for the nose wheel. The ply that came with the kit was brittle as anything. It's since been replaced with a fair bit of balsa (up to 6mm in places) and a whole lot of glass. Glass is my prefered option over carbon, as it absorbs impact a bit better, being more flexible.
The mains are solid. They're bedded in a sploog bay. Cut out the retract area, cover the retract unit with release film, fill the bay with sploog and stick the retract in. When it's all cured, the retract clicks in and out (about 0.05mm clearance either side from the release film). That gap it taken up with 5min epoxy. Doesn't stick well, so they can be removed / serviced.

The wire part of the struts are 5mm in the trunion (plenty strong!), but needed to be turned down to 3mm to fit in the struts (trailing link bits). Still strong enough I think. Works well off tarmac and gravel, just not grass. I'd need bigger wheels, but that loses the scale look. At the moment, the wheels are roughly scale size (even if the mirage doesn't have trailing link mains!)

either way, it was in the car this morning, but no-one else came out!
Old Jun 24, 2011, 09:45 PM
I don't want to land yet!
Joined Jan 2010
1,500 Posts
Tomorrow Ody.... too busy building my kitchen today, well this morning anyway... kitesurfing this afternoon!
Strike3 is offline Find More Posts by Strike3