HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 08, 2010, 02:34 PM
Annoying people since 1970 :)
United Kingdom, England, Taunton
Joined Nov 2005
1,677 Posts
Discussion
Seagull Nemesis NXT

Does anyone have any experience with the Seagull Nemesis NXT as my lovely wife has just bought me one for Christmas. Of course I'll be going with the electric power option but as yet I have no idea what I'll be fitting. It looks to be well made for the price and although it may not be anywhere near scale, I still think it's a good looking plane!

Specs:
* Wingspan: 55.9ins (142cm)
* Wing area: 514.6sq.ins (33.2.dm2)
* Suits: 40-46 2-Stroke (52-70 4-Stroke) or Electric equiv
* Factory covered with Oracover
* Length: 46.1ins (117cm)
* Approx flying weight: 6.2lbs (2.8kg)
* Radio - 4 Channel with 5 servos
wastegate is offline Find More Posts by wastegate
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2010, 03:30 PM
Worcestershire, England
Joined Nov 2007
481 Posts
I'm wondering that myself, Although i'll be slinging the toy electric motor mount!
I want to buy one but not seen anybody with one to have a closer look, and ask a few questions.
Like, is the rudder big enough for knife edge?
And from what i can see the i.c motor looks like its mounted inverted? If it is is it possible to side mount the engine instead??
Jam1e is offline Find More Posts by Jam1e
Old Nov 10, 2010, 04:00 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,677 Posts
Here's a link to the manual which may be of help to you.
Nemesis manual
Old Dec 06, 2010, 06:03 PM
Joined Oct 2009
6 Posts
i just built this model and fitted it with a turnigy 5055 580kv motor powered with a turnigy 3600 6s lipo battery and a 12*10 prop. speed is fast, and flies fast at half throttle. only problem is, i can't get it to land properly. i've got 2 flights on her, and i couldn't land it because it bounces off the ground when it touches down. difficult to slow it down for landing unless you have a long runway and it is definitely not a floater. on my second flight, i lost it in the high weeds surrounding my airfield as i ran out of battery. my guess is that the wing loading is too high, as my motor and battery weighs about 1 kilo. even at a hot approach for landing, it looks like it's going to stall. this is really frustrating, as the plane is beautiful and a joy to fly fast. i'm thinking of going back to nitro for this one, as other videos on youtube show it with a glow engine nd it flies great.....
cyborg1 is offline Find More Posts by cyborg1
Old Dec 06, 2010, 07:42 PM
Afghanistanimation
United States, TX, Killeen
Joined Sep 2006
1,171 Posts
looks like the landing gear on that one needs to be farther back for pavement landing.
johnnychimpo is offline Find More Posts by johnnychimpo
Old Dec 06, 2010, 11:03 PM
USA, CA, Martinez
Joined Feb 2001
1,668 Posts
cyborg.. is it still in the weeds? i had a plane out in the weeds for nearly a year. Surprised the heck out of me when I got a phone call saying it was found.
mumblety-peg is offline Find More Posts by mumblety-peg
Old Dec 07, 2010, 01:24 AM
Joined Oct 2009
6 Posts
yes, it's still in the weeds. searched for an hour but couldn't find it yesterday, but the caretaker of the sirfield will search for it again today. hope he finds it soon, or the electrics will be toast if it rains.
cyborg1 is offline Find More Posts by cyborg1
Old Dec 07, 2010, 01:19 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,677 Posts
Strange! The only one I've seen fly in the Youtube clip below seemed to have few issues landing. How about using flaperons / spoilerons?

Seagull Nemesis (3 min 58 sec)
Old Dec 07, 2010, 04:16 PM
United States, MI, Monroe
Joined Mar 2000
811 Posts
CG test

I think you are nose heavy.
Try the dive test, pull the power off and dive at a 45 degree down and let the stick go and see what happens.
If its climes it nose heavy.
If it stays on the same track , the CG is right.
If its pulls under then it is tail heavy.
Kevin Matney is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Matney
Old Mar 05, 2011, 04:58 PM
England
Joined Jun 2009
240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wastegate View Post
Strange! The only one I've seen fly in the Youtube clip below seemed to have few issues landing. How about using flaperons / spoilerons?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtooVViw--A
I bought one of these last week, put an SC52 in with an 11x7 prop, flies like a dream, and landing is NO problem at all as long as you don't try and float it in

The CG is set to the recommended 100mm from the wing root

have fun
SimonV6 is offline Find More Posts by SimonV6
Old Mar 06, 2011, 08:14 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,677 Posts
Mines still in the box. I don't want to build it until I've moved which should be sometime this summer hopefully!
Old Mar 14, 2011, 04:30 PM
England
Joined Jun 2009
240 Posts
Well you will enjoy it when you have built it, its great quality work and only takes a couple of evenings to put together

here's mine in the air
SimonV6 is offline Find More Posts by SimonV6
Last edited by SimonV6; Mar 14, 2011 at 04:51 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 04:33 AM
I can fly!
Australia, TAS, East Launceston
Joined Aug 2010
84 Posts
Well after 2 years of service I retired my Seagull Nemesis.

I didn't crash and destroy it but it is now just a bit tired and past its best.

It had an interesting life. I bought it on sale at Big boys toys in Delerane on a whim. On the first day out as I was on aproach for the third flight of the day and my radio lost contact, all I could do was watch as she slowly plunged into the ground.

I was about to smash up all the bits to fit into the bin, when I thought to myself "I can fix that" so after half a tube of liquid nails and few bits of ply and a heap of gaffa tape she was back together.

After that she was my "hack" plane and pretty much indestructable. She won me two pattern competitions in basic and many days of joyful flying.

In the end the engine gave out (an OS .46ax) the laning gear had been repaired a few of times and was loose again, the cowl had been missing from the first day out and the canopy was held on with gaffa. It was just time.

So now she will hang in my shed and rest.
dceng888 is offline Find More Posts by dceng888
Old Sep 28, 2013, 05:52 PM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,341 Posts
Some planes deserve a pavement star on the memory lane of the builder/pilot. I'm sure this one is one of yours. All good things....
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx
Old Mar 30, 2014, 01:17 AM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,106 Posts
Clearly not much going on with this Nemesis, but I thought I'd share some setup info for one I just bought used. It came with a Hyperion Zs4025-10 (Kv=505, 414g) incorrectly marked as 4035-10, but definitely 4025 case length. With 6S 5000 all up weight is 3300g/116oz/7lb4oz, so about 1lb more than the Eflite spec range. With the heavy motor and packs I needed 70g lead right on the tail, plus a 40g Scorpion backup guard in the aft battery bay.

First flights were with an APC pattern 13 x 9. Static maximums were 51.7A and 1133W. Inflight logging showed 59.3A , 1357W and 2668 mAh for about 5 minutes. The difference compared with static could have been the pack, or maybe the prop loads up in flight as it unstalls?

I changed to a 12 x 13 APC sport to gain some pitch speed (eCalc 122 mph vs 85). Inflight max was 65A / 1480W. A 5 1/2 minute flight (including the mandatory 3 attempts to land) used 3232 mAh.

I may yet try an APC E 14 x 12 - lower pitch speed at 106 mph than the 12 x 13, but a lot more thrust.

On both props performance was very satisfying, with strong acceleration and climb. I don't know how fast, but probably a bit faster than my EF1 legal Pogo, with the 12 x 13 noticeably faster according to the watchers. We have an ugly approach area at our club so landings were a bit of a challenge, but both landing and especially takeoff are a lot easier than the Pogo. I'll setup some spoileron and see if that helps with landing. I may try a motor similar to the recommended Power 52 on both 5 and 6S (Hyperion Z4020-14, Kv=574) to get the weight down and rpm up.

Overall a very sweet flyer that just carves up the sky.
scirocco is online now Find More Posts by scirocco