HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 09, 2012, 11:43 AM
South Africa, EC, Port Elizabeth
Joined Sep 2009
292 Posts
Welcome Glenn,
You can now `officially` chirp with us ! ha,ha,ha.
EATHIS is offline Find More Posts by EATHIS
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2012, 03:21 PM
John Reid
Joined Jul 2011
25 Posts
A CT mig vid

Copy the link below to your browser to see my first attempts last year with my 'za rodinu' mig 7 build, thanks to Sean and others for contributing to my build with this awesome build log! I'll be building another soon due to damage being incurred due to many heavy landings in die Kaap, I love the South Easter!

Awesome!
John Reid

ps how do you get the video in a post?

mig first flights.wmv (2 min 35 sec)
johnreidRSA is offline Find More Posts by johnreidRSA
Old Jan 26, 2012, 03:22 PM
John Reid
Joined Jul 2011
25 Posts
Never mind, I see the video is there now. sorted!
Old Jan 26, 2012, 04:32 PM
Stirring the pot
Port Elizabeth South Africa
Joined Jun 2008
3,982 Posts
Looks very Russian to me....

Well done John!

Where is that second spot you were flying?
J,
Who needs to go to the Kaap!
johannlochner is offline Find More Posts by johannlochner
Old Jan 26, 2012, 07:33 PM
Dunedin, New Zealand
Joined Dec 2010
191 Posts
Very nice! I've been contemplateing doing the next one white with that scheme for a while now, but was worried it would look too plastic and not scale enough. But that puts my mind at ease for sure.
Mind you, that'll be a while away as the 'Красный Дьявол' (or 'Red Devil') as I've christened it, is still flying beautifully and proving to be a hit with my fellow flyers, as well as gaining the prestigeous position of 'ultra favorite' for myself! It's amazing to think how skeptical I was initially, considering how much I love flying this plane. Must get some vid for you all.
JMSR is offline Find More Posts by JMSR
Old Jan 27, 2012, 07:58 AM
.....till the wind drops.
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Joined Oct 2006
3,439 Posts
[QUOTE=johnreidRSA;20547059]Copy the link below to your browser to see my first attempts last year with my 'za rodinu' mig 7 build, thanks to Sean and others for contributing to my build with this awesome build log! I'll be building another soon due to damage being incurred due to many heavy landings in die Kaap, I love the South Easter!

Awesome!
John Reid
QUOTE]

Howzit John,
Cool vid!! thanx!
I enjoyed your ""undercarrige" at the start of the clip!.....three leg potjie!
You guys in ""die Kaap"" are spoilt rotten with those awesome slopes, views and wind!!

Sean
Sean Oelofse is offline Find More Posts by Sean Oelofse
Old Jan 29, 2012, 04:09 AM
Australia, QLD, Brighton
Joined Sep 2006
146 Posts
Mig

Hey there Sean, my friend and I in Brisbane would very much like to make one of these Mig's. We have a slope that faces the ocean and a landing strip as wide as a ping pong table and as long as a cricket pitch. Otherwise it's the road... Our local hardware has some core flute. But I was thinking about doin a night mission around town and find a few freebies.... You guys are doin a great job.
lemuel is offline Find More Posts by lemuel
Old Jan 29, 2012, 05:50 AM
John Reid
Joined Jul 2011
25 Posts
re cape town mig

Eish, super blessed with the wind and slopes.....at times. Went hiking around Kalk bay yesterday (inspired by vid posted recently), mig in hand looking for wind, that was there, but not there. 2 hrs solid hiking, no flying!
Thanks for encouragement, first (failed attempt-servo reversed, oops) Hout bay, second top of Ou Kaapse weg (bit bumpy), third and best Constantia Neck, though about 35min hike.
JMSR go 'za rodinu'!, def a classic russian look.

Hope u guys in PE got wind this wk end, i should be out flyin but nothin this side.
Ps. I chatted to Ulrich in Somerset West (bit far to meet up for quick slopefly), but if anyone building corro in Southern suburbs of Cape Town, would be cool to meet up.

john reid
Old Jan 29, 2012, 10:19 PM
Dunedin, New Zealand
Joined Dec 2010
191 Posts
Hehe. Da comrade! Za rodinu!
Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:12 PM
Australia, QLD, Brighton
Joined Sep 2006
146 Posts
coreflute grain

I have a question and I have managed to read about 3/4's of this thread. My brain can't take another sentence. Does the grain of the corflute need to run chord wise on the wings? It just seems it would flow better going span wise. I mean to cause no offence, I just ask in case there was something that I may have overlooked in the build process.

regards
Matthew
Old Jan 30, 2012, 12:29 AM
Dunedin, New Zealand
Joined Dec 2010
191 Posts
The flutes must run perpendicular to the leading edge. It's the tension, top and bottom, along the flutes that give the correct wing profile and strength.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 12:48 AM
.....till the wind drops.
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Joined Oct 2006
3,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemuel View Post
Hey there Sean, my friend and I in Brisbane would very much like to make one of these Mig's. We have a slope that faces the ocean and a landing strip as wide as a ping pong table and as long as a cricket pitch. Otherwise it's the road... Our local hardware has some core flute. But I was thinking about doin a night mission around town and find a few freebies.... You guys are doin a great job.
Howzit lemuel!!??
Sounds like you need to fly correx!
I am surprised that in many places around the globe, correx is not easily available. I say this cause we live in the armpit of the world and it is dirt cheap and is found all over our little town!
But go ahead with what you have and post some pics!
Sean Oelofse is offline Find More Posts by Sean Oelofse
Old Jan 30, 2012, 12:58 AM
Rusty
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Feb 2006
808 Posts
It can run either way.
Conventional coreflute wings run the flutes cordwise and use the spar to give an airfoil and have a sharp, creased leading edge. See www.spadtothebone.com for designs.

I prefer to run them spanwise and use ribs and a rolled leading edge. This gives a truer airfoil and allows use of the flutes to hinge the ailerons. It also gives a torsion-ally very stiff wing on a tapered form as top and bottom sheets run diagonally in opposing directions when the wing is folded and the flutes give good spanwise stiffness without a spar.
Rusty Nail is online now Find More Posts by Rusty Nail
Old Jan 30, 2012, 03:54 AM
Australia, QLD, Brighton
Joined Sep 2006
146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Nail View Post
It can run either way.
Conventional coreflute wings run the flutes cordwise and use the spar to give an airfoil and have a sharp, creased leading edge. See www.spadtothebone.com for designs.

I prefer to run them spanwise and use ribs and a rolled leading edge. This gives a truer airfoil and allows use of the flutes to hinge the ailerons. It also gives a torsion-ally very stiff wing on a tapered form as top and bottom sheets run diagonally in opposing directions when the wing is folded and the flutes give good spanwise stiffness without a spar.
Span wise it is then. The triangular shaped foil works, but I guess old habits die hard. Also, I was thinking about using core flute for the formers also. Maybe doubled up?
Old Jan 30, 2012, 04:37 AM
...missing the PE Slope Rebels
United States, MI, Manchester
Joined May 2004
2,970 Posts
lemuel

all of the MIG wings built here in PE have the flutes running chord wise, the resulting wing profile is not a triangle, it is almost flat on the bottom, with maybe a bit of under-camber depending on how the trailing edge is clamped during folding and gluing. I have experimented with letting the Leading Edge rise up a bit off of the table during folding, but find the "flat bottom" wing gives the best all around performance. The sharp leading edge doesnt seem to result in any strange pitch moments like you might expect.

Rusty Nail's wing method is interesting, but requires ribs to hold the wing profile

all of my CorroScale slopers use double correx formers with cross-grains, I personally wont ply formers any more. Much quicker to build them with correx
Flying Beagle is offline Find More Posts by Flying Beagle