Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 27, 2011, 01:37 AM
Envies his own avatar
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Apr 2008
565 Posts
David, where's your CG? If the CG is too far forward, you won't have enough elevator authority to carve through the top of the loop.

When you fly inverted, does it require a fairly large amount of "down" elevator to maintain level flight? If so, that's another indication that your CG is too far forward.

You might try moving your battery pack rearward and see if loops improve.

--Rocky
rockyabq is offline Find More Posts by rockyabq
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2011, 05:14 AM
Adelaide Australia
Joined Sep 2004
51 Posts
Thanks for your reply. We have the cofg set as per the design instructions at 3-1/4" from the trailing edge. This seems to give us good penetration and the aircraft generally flies very good. but we will try shifting the weight backwards. But the CofG is a given point according to the shape of the airframe so moving it would cause bad flying , ballooning and stalling. We will try and see if we can do a loop!
DAVID WILSON is offline Find More Posts by DAVID WILSON
Old Nov 29, 2011, 11:39 AM
No fuse too fat
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Apr 2002
3,874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID WILSON View Post
Thanks for your reply. We have the cofg set as per the design instructions at 3-1/4" from the trailing edge. This seems to give us good penetration and the aircraft generally flies very good. but we will try shifting the weight backwards. But the CofG is a given point according to the shape of the airframe so moving it would cause bad flying , ballooning and stalling. We will try and see if we can do a loop!
Using a fixed measurement is not totally reliable. If the angle of your wing roots is slightly off then when you put the wing halves together the planform of the finished wing might have a little more or less sweep than what is shown on the plans. That will change the point at which the CG crosses the root. You might try using a CG calculator to see where the CG really should be. The trick is you have to figure out how much sweep your finished wing actually has. What I do is line one LE up to the edge of my workbench, then measure to the tip at the other end, then divide that by 2. The measurement should be taken parallel to the root not 90* to the edge of the table.
slopeiron is offline Find More Posts by slopeiron
Old Nov 29, 2011, 11:52 AM
No fuse too fat
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Apr 2002
3,874 Posts
Quote:
We have been flying a mig 7 at waitpinga cliffs south aust. Flys very good in a moderate to strong wind. very manouverable just like a wwii fighter. barrel rolls are no problem but are you guys able to do loops?
we lose a lot of altitude doing barrel rolls and turns, loops turn into stalls before going over the top. But a very strong fuselage and wing can handle lots of crashes which I am very good at.
I suppose the other thing that might cause this other than CG being off is that if you are flying a light plane in heavy wind, then it might be having trouble penetrating and any movement of the control surfaces causes even more drag. You could try loading it up a bit. If being too light is the issue then adding some weight will help it carry through loops better.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 06:36 PM
Building with TLAR precision
near Madison, WI
Joined Jan 2009
2,591 Posts
Quote:
The final placement of the CG has to be done in actual flight conditions, by a dive test or inverted flight. Generally, the CG on the plans make a good starting point.

Just my $0.02

-= Dave
Zenmaniac is online now Find More Posts by Zenmaniac
Old Nov 29, 2011, 08:10 PM
No fuse too fat
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Apr 2002
3,874 Posts
Last edited by slopeiron; Nov 29, 2011 at 09:45 PM.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 12:38 PM
.....till the wind drops.
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Joined Oct 2006
3,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenmaniac View Post
The final placement of the CG has to be done in actual flight conditions, by a dive test or inverted flight. Generally, the CG on the plans make a good starting point.

Just my $0.02

-= Dave
David,
I agree with all the advice given by all the guys above. I would then do as Dave says. Adjust your CG on the slope. The plan is a good starting point!!
Sean Oelofse is offline Find More Posts by Sean Oelofse
Old Dec 04, 2011, 12:59 AM
scratch build everything
South Africa, KwaZulu-Natal, Botha's Hill
Joined Aug 2009
1,218 Posts
I maidened my correx mig on friday. She rose beautifully and incredibly stable. Aileron authority was a little low, mainly due to my radio settings. Very nice to fly indeed.
DudleyLeRoux is offline Find More Posts by DudleyLeRoux
Old Dec 04, 2011, 04:27 AM
Joined Oct 2006
3,503 Posts
Nice Dudley!!
Next year you must hook up with the guys in Morgans Bay. They are there now......I could'nt take two weekends off in a row!
I am sure Markus will post some pics from their time there when he gets back.
Old Dec 04, 2011, 08:29 AM
Stirring the pot
Port Elizabeth South Africa
Joined Jun 2008
4,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudleyLeRoux View Post
I maidened my correx mig on friday. She rose beautifully and incredibly stable. Aileron authority was a little low, mainly due to my radio settings. Very nice to fly indeed.
All that without a V tail?

Comoon Dudley,
Let's see the 1st V-tail MIG!
johannlochner is offline Find More Posts by johannlochner
Old Dec 05, 2011, 01:28 PM
Joined Oct 2006
3,503 Posts
I received these pics from Jean, from Brazil. It is a powered Mig, but because he built so well and it looks so great, I thought I'd post the pics here.
Well done!!
Very very pretty!!
Old Dec 06, 2011, 04:10 AM
Joined Oct 2006
3,503 Posts
Hey Bakkie,
Post some pics from Hermanus!!............PLEASE!
Old Dec 06, 2011, 04:56 AM
...missing the PE Slope Rebels
United States, MI, Manchester
Joined May 2004
3,007 Posts
hey Jean
that is sharp man !
Flying Beagle is offline Find More Posts by Flying Beagle
Old Dec 19, 2011, 05:44 AM
Joined Oct 2006
3,503 Posts
For those that don'nt cross-thread ....here are some pics from the last day at Hermanus 2011.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 12:51 PM
Dunedin, New Zealand
Joined Dec 2010
191 Posts
Howdy all, here's my mig. All 3mm (we can't get 2mm in NZ), 940g, 10x5 prop, 58mm spinner, KDA 22-20L 960kV, 30A ESC, 2200mAh, 4 channel, HXT900's all round, CG at the main spar. I chose to put the aileron servos outside because I was getting too much torque loss to the ailerons on the 1st wing I built (which didn't come out well anyway). I don't know if it was the 3mm not allowing enough flex, or the wire that's available here is too springy, probably both.
Maidened it last night very successfully. Stiff breeze but it just shrugged it off. What an amazing flyer, very stable and easy to fly.
Thanks to all here and elsewhere (especially Dave of course) for posting experiences, vids, stories and details which have all contributed to a great plane.

P.S. That Mig of marcus' above is beautiful! Best colour scheme yet.
JMSR is offline Find More Posts by JMSR
Last edited by JMSR; Dec 22, 2011 at 08:58 PM.