Old May 12, 2011, 05:15 AM
What goes up must come down
South Africa, EC, Port Elizabeth
Joined Aug 2009
464 Posts
glue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrat View Post
have built a few correx planes with CA , it works, but not as good as a hot glue joint , how would you glue two piece's that are perpendicular to each other ? with a glue gun you can do a fillet weld
Why reinventing the wheel? We have build many Correx creations using hot glue and contact glue only and never had any issues with glued joints coming apart.
aimrah2000 is offline Find More Posts by aimrah2000
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2011, 09:54 AM
Joined May 2011
8 Posts
I’m new to this and only trying to see what the guys out there are using
And sharing what other say , I have never build with correx but want to

Came right with 2 sheets 2mm and 3 mm will have them on Monday ,
Makes sense with perpendicular joints as you said , always learning .
Thanks for all the info ,

Billy
TRex99 is offline Find More Posts by TRex99
Old May 12, 2011, 12:41 PM
.....till the wind drops.
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Joined Oct 2006
3,644 Posts
Sorry about the S-flute correx Billy....you can build with it....but leave it till later when you have plenty experience with it!
What it does is, at the end....the planes lines are not as neat. You need to cut V's with a soldering iron to bend it properly.

But the straight flute.....well.....it was designed for us glider builders
Sean Oelofse is offline Find More Posts by Sean Oelofse
Old May 12, 2011, 01:37 PM
Joined May 2011
8 Posts
Thanks Sean
Agree will leave the S correx till later lucky they are cheep .
My other stock will be by me on Monday ,
Sean what do you think about building with CA on correx ,have you tried it ,

Thanks Billy
TRex99 is offline Find More Posts by TRex99
Old May 12, 2011, 02:30 PM
Rhys - Forever Learning
United Kingdom, Wales, Nelson
Joined Feb 2007
360 Posts
Anyone used UHU Por for the contact adhesive?
rhysduk is offline Find More Posts by rhysduk
Old May 13, 2011, 04:50 AM
Born again modeller
United Kingdom, England, Durham
Joined Mar 2009
125 Posts
UHU Por

Hi Rhys
I have used UHU Por on the spar and on the trailing edge/ailerons.
I had issues with the trailing edge gapeing open in places. Possible that it was not under pressure long enough or had gone past the tacky point. Not sure.
One thing though, UHU Por is expensive stuff, I now get tubes of contact glue from the 1 shop and save the Por for foam only. Ten tubes of cheapy CA super glue for a quid as well. Just as good as the expensive stuff for what we do. Only problem with that is as it is cheap, I tend to spash it all over and end up with skin stuck all over the place.
I have also used spray on carpet glue.
Regards
Simon
simon16 is offline Find More Posts by simon16
Old May 13, 2011, 07:18 AM
just a rumour
Joined Jun 2006
882 Posts
3M90 spray on contact adhesive is the win!
Drusky is offline Find More Posts by Drusky
Old May 13, 2011, 12:25 PM
Rhys - Forever Learning
Joined Feb 2007
360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon16 View Post
I have used UHU Por on the spar and on the trailing edge/ailerons.
I had issues with the trailing edge gapeing open in places. Possible that it was not under pressure long enough or had gone past the tacky point. Not sure.
One thing though, UHU Por is expensive stuff, I now get tubes of contact glue from the 1 shop and save the Por for foam only. Ten tubes of cheapy CA super glue for a quid as well. Just as good as the expensive stuff for what we do. Only problem with that is as it is cheap, I tend to spash it all over and end up with skin stuck all over the place.
I have also used spray on carpet glue.
Thanks Simon, what 1 shop is this and what would be the name (if any) of the contact glue you get? Lke you said, need to get something cheaper than Por for general use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drusky View Post
3M90 spray on contact adhesive is the win!
Thank Drusky but it's more expensive than expensive stuff!!
Old May 13, 2011, 01:41 PM
Joined Oct 2006
3,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex99 View Post
Sean what do you think about building with CA on correx ,have you tried it ,

Thanks Billy
Yes I have tried it...was not very successfull.....but that does not mean it does'nt work...maybe it was my process that flawed the joint...did flame the surface though.
However, CA is not flexable.....correx is ...IMHO.
Old May 13, 2011, 02:53 PM
Joined Oct 2006
3,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhysduk View Post
Anyone used UHU Por for the contact adhesive?
Never seen it here in ZA!....
Must be good though...when you do a Google Image search, just that and model airplanes come up!

But yes!...I recon it will work......again, if you get your process right....close when tacky and clamp for at least 30 min!
Old May 13, 2011, 05:22 PM
Born again modeller
United Kingdom, England, Durham
Joined Mar 2009
125 Posts
[QUOTE=rhysduk;18225140], what 1 shop is this and what would be the name (if any) of the contact glue you get? Lke you said, need to get something cheaper than Por for general use.
QUOTE]

Not sure what the shop is called, don't they all sell the same stuff?
I must admit, it smells the same as all the rest, just like Evo Stick, possibly more so. I get the same head ache after 30 minutes anyway.

Simon
simon16 is offline Find More Posts by simon16
Old May 14, 2011, 01:30 AM
David Drowns
Southern California
Joined Nov 2010
137 Posts
Hi, TRex99, always good to see someone else enjoy the Mig.

I've always used the ca. Some days work better than others. After looking into it, it seems the temprature makes a lot of difference. A slightly mild to warm day it works great. If it's very cool out, trouble. Preheat the material if you need to ca when it's cool.

About the Goop. other similar products would be, Shoe Goo, might find it at a shoe shop.
http://www.shoecaresupplies.com/Shoe...p/shoe-goo.htm

or E-6000 found in hardware and craft stores
http://www.eclecticproducts.com/e6000_series_retail.htm

Good luck with those. You make us feel spoiled when we hear you can't get stuff there. But when you guys get together on those SA slopes, well lets just say, it's a long drive from here.

Once I discovered the wonders of hot glue, I was sold! I still use the goop stuff when I need a good bond, like with firewall doublers, (Combat!)
Mig Man is offline Find More Posts by Mig Man
Old May 15, 2011, 06:22 AM
Rhys - Forever Learning
Joined Feb 2007
360 Posts
A Mini Blog

CHeers for the input guy, I'll give the UHU por a little go on the wing and aileron I think. I'll have a look out for the cheap stuff too, thanks Simon

So some good progress this weekend (yesterday) after having a few hours off from the other half
Managed to get the Fuselage sorted up to the point of doing the nose. Had some slight bother with formers F2 and F6, F2 didn't seem to fit at all (see picture) so was a slight fiddle to to get right. I ended up glueing one in and then ripping it out as the Fus was as crooked as a crooked thing. F6 was just too small too work with for my liking! I squashed the bottom piece so had to reinforce it.
I started with F5 as that was the easiest and worked forward, not sure if this was the way to do it but it turned out good and am pleased with the result.

After glueing F5 and F3 (skipped F4 to get the correct shape of the fuse before gluing) my Glue Gun snapped a trigger.. Oh ****! See the pictures for my bodge job

So all formers are glued and the fus is as straight as I could get it, it's not perfect (far from it actually) but for my first attempt I think it will do I fitted the tail just to check and it is slightly off, I can glue this in straight when the time comes.

Enjoy the pictures, hopefully I'll get the tail started later today and start a wing
Old May 15, 2011, 06:32 AM
USA, CT, Fairfield
Joined Jul 2004
2,600 Posts
Looks nice, I should have cut the bulkheads from coroplast too, the plywood I used was very time consuming.

Keep up the good work!
EB
Sleedo is offline Find More Posts by Sleedo
Old May 15, 2011, 09:00 AM
Joined Oct 2010
33 Posts
Hi Guys,

First of all let me say, its the only coroplast PLAN that I found on Rc Groups, (if u know anyother please post a link or PM) and its equally beautifull. I am planning to build one, I am new in scratch building (not very new) I build my 2nd F-22 with 3 mm coro.

I am planning to build this beauty with 3 mm for fuse and 2 mm for wings. Got few questions and will appreciate if u guys can take out some time to answer the followings:

1. I am planing to build electric one, the size of original (44.8 inch wingspan) looks big for electric? if yes then can I get some plans for smaller size.
2. what modification do I need to make in Fuse Formers to achive electric outrunner fit?
3. Fuse Formers can be made from Coro (with some extra strength added)?
4. Last but not the least, if any one is flying electric MIG, can u please tell me what power setup is best for it?

Thanks for all your time, looking forward to start the build in few days (after gathering required info) Once more great plane.
sbfaisal is offline Find More Posts by sbfaisal