HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 16, 2012, 11:45 PM
Dunedin, New Zealand
Joined Dec 2010
191 Posts
Finally, and as promised, some vid of the mig in action. Many thanks to my flying buddy Steve.
Electric Correx Mig7.mov (2 min 53 sec)
JMSR is offline Find More Posts by JMSR
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2012, 12:57 PM
Rhys - Forever Learning
United Kingdom, Wales, Nelson
Joined Feb 2007
359 Posts
Nice video JMSR!
I've managed to secure the battery with a simple 2nd firewall and a bit of foam. The battery is charging at the moment ready for tomorrow. hopefully.
Shall glue some wing reinforcement when she's charged and balance her up. Don't mock my nose

Here innards by rhys_rdpstudios, on Flickr

Up front by rhys_rdpstudios, on Flickr

Dont laugh. by rhys_rdpstudios, on Flickr
rhysduk is offline Find More Posts by rhysduk
Old Mar 17, 2012, 04:32 PM
Australia, QLD, Brighton
Joined Sep 2006
145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSR View Post
Finally, and as promised, some vid of the mig in action. Many thanks to my flying buddy Steve.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-oZ...5Cz2gbc_okW4U=
Sweet video! well done..
lemuel is offline Find More Posts by lemuel
Old Mar 18, 2012, 03:28 PM
Rhys - Forever Learning
Joined Feb 2007
359 Posts
Apart from colour, something of which I have no idea about, she's finished. Oh and a decent nose.

I weighed her and she came in at ~980g! What are yours weighing in at? She's rather quite heavy. Miaden is scheduled for Tuesday weather permitting.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 05:04 PM
Dunedin, New Zealand
Joined Dec 2010
191 Posts
Mine's a similar weight and it flys like it weighs 2/3rds that. Not sure about the slope version though.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 12:46 AM
.....till the wind drops.
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Joined Oct 2006
3,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSR View Post
Nice one JMSR!!
She seems very stable in the air!!
Job well done!!
Got some close-up stills?

Sean Oelofse is offline Find More Posts by Sean Oelofse
Old Mar 20, 2012, 02:35 PM
Dunedin, New Zealand
Joined Dec 2010
191 Posts
Cheers muchly Sean. No stills yet but I'll post them if they happen. A mate took some footage of the Mig flying with his E-Flight Spitty of the same scale but if I haven't seen it by now it may not have worked out. They look fantastic together. A bit of Reno mixed in with a bit of play dog fighting. We're pretty cautious though as I'm sure the Mig would shred any foamy and come out squeeky clean if the sh*t hit the fan!
Old Mar 20, 2012, 03:39 PM
Rhys - Forever Learning
Joined Feb 2007
359 Posts
The Maiden

well she's had her maiden flight this evening its only taken near a year to build her.

so the flight; not that impressed with today to be honest. she "flew" to the extent of taking off, fluttered a round a bit and then dropped out of the air The lift was reallyniffy today and even my foamie wing struggled at times. with her weighing in at 1Kg i dont think it was ideal but hey ho at least she had a go.

could it have been something a bit more sinister? balance completely wrong? bodged wing build not creating enough lift? maybe she just needs a bucket of lift to fly?

Correx Mig7 flying at The Bwlch, South Wales. (0 min 20 sec)

thanks very much to everyone whos helped in the build. she wouldnt be airbourne albeit for a few seconds if it werent for you lot fingers crossed shes actually do some flying....
Old Mar 20, 2012, 03:44 PM
...missing the PE Slope Rebels
United States, MI, Manchester
Joined May 2004
2,962 Posts
hard to tell, but your Mig appeared to climb well on the launch, but then when it was farther away from the slope it started to loose altitude.....maybe wait for more wind and give it another toss

congrats rhysduk !
Flying Beagle is offline Find More Posts by Flying Beagle
Old Mar 20, 2012, 04:01 PM
Dunedin, New Zealand
Joined Dec 2010
191 Posts
You could be being a little harsh on yourself as that launch looked really hopeful! Give it a few more and, if you are still struggling, remember these are fast and cheap to build! You could build and refine 10 of these before you even come close to the cost of a factory machine. Mine only flew well after the 2nd wing was built .
Old Mar 21, 2012, 02:12 AM
.....till the wind drops.
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Joined Oct 2006
3,431 Posts
rhysduk,
As JMSR said, you too hard on yourself and the plane!!
From what I see, the launch was good and there was plenty lift (awesome slope).
The constant peel to the left with little or no correction makes me think ......
# Where the ailerons correctly setup. I say this cause you would have given right aileron to get her to stay straight into the wind.
# Because she carries on peeling to the left, if the ailerons are correct (right aileron up to roll right), then maybe there was not enought aileron travel to get her back from a high left roll? (not that the plane rolled, just the attitude).
# Are the servo('s) strong enough to move the ailerons in flight? Sometimes the corro is hard to move and you need to cut slots to ease on the hinge line.
# Maybe all the above is good but the corro aileron itself is flexing.
# How much "play" is there in the linkages. If you give right aileron on the stick, how much does it move before the aileron tip moves?
# Was the wind straight up the slope and not side on from right to left?

Please dont take it personal that I ask these Q's as if you have not set the plane up properly, I'm juast asking from where I'm sitting.

Just give her another once over and toss again. She can take plenty abuse!!
Sometimes it takes more than one flight to set a plane up!
Go on!.....give her another chance!!

Sean Oelofse is offline Find More Posts by Sean Oelofse
Old Mar 21, 2012, 08:45 AM
Rhys - Forever Learning
Joined Feb 2007
359 Posts
Thanks Beagle.
JMSR, thanks i might try a new wing on the weekend if more attempts at flying her fail!
Sean, thanks for all that. I'll double check everything in your list tonight and report back.
Sean, what does yours weigh AUW?

There's a 14mph SSE wind forecast for tomorrow... fingers crossed! Only trouble being that slope has a nasty drop
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:21 AM
Kung-Fu Panda
South Africa, Eastern Cape, Port Elizabeth
Joined Sep 2010
2,341 Posts
Hi Rhysduk

Congrats on finishing your build!

My Mig flew like that a few weeks ago..... I forgot to switch her on

She looks very well balanced and weighs less than mine. Take a pis or video of the wing and aileron movements.

Did you do a range check before the launch?

Damn that looks like a nice slope.

Cheers
Greg
Bakkie is offline Find More Posts by Bakkie
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Let's try FPV!!!!
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:50 AM
Great Orme
Joined Aug 2003
337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhysduk View Post
Thanks Beagle.
JMSR, thanks i might try a new wing on the weekend if more attempts at flying her fail!
Sean, thanks for all that. I'll double check everything in your list tonight and report back.
Sean, what does yours weigh AUW?

There's a 14mph SSE wind forecast for tomorrow... fingers crossed! Only trouble being that slope has a nasty drop
Correct me if I am wrong but I think you have the flutes going the wrong way which will result in a poor curve on the wing.
Conwy-Soarer is offline Find More Posts by Conwy-Soarer
Old Mar 21, 2012, 01:24 PM
Stirring the pot
Port Elizabeth South Africa
Joined Jun 2008
3,982 Posts
Had some great flying at Maitlands this afternoon!

The mig is a pretty hardy plane....
This one has been around the block!
(A few times!)
johannlochner is online now Find More Posts by johannlochner