Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 13, 2003, 11:56 PM
SF Bay Area, Ca
Joined Dec 2001
33 Posts
Graupner Speed 480 Race Break-In & Other Newbie Q's!

Hi there! I am new to 'E' flight, but not new to RC as I have been flying glow planes for about three years now. I have always wanted to get into jets but did not want to spend the money required for Glow Ducted Fans or Turbines. So I have decided to give electrics a go.

I am not totally new to the theory of electrics, as I was into electronics when I was younger, so know my way around a soldering iron and understand what Volts, Amps, Watts, Ohms etc. are and how they relate to each other.

Right now I have purchased an Alpha Jet EDF profile jet and all of the Hobby-Lobby recommended accessories.

So I have a Graupner 'Speed 480 Race' motor and want to know whether I should do any break-in for this motor? I have read the FAQ and see where it described break-in, but the instructions that came with the motor say no break-in is necessary. So what gives? Break-in or not? I want the best possible performance out of this thing!

Also I bought the recommended 10 Cell CP-1300 SCR Nicad Pack and it dosn't have any conectors on the leads. Do all batteries come without connectors?

I purchased a 'banana plug to Speed 400 connector' charge lead, so I can charge the pack with my Super Turbo charger, so I am guessing I should buy two sets of Speed 400 connectors to solder to the battery and the ESC leads. Is this right?

I see the ESC I purchased and which was recommended, the Jeti 18 Microprocessor ESC is rated for up to 18 Amps, I also see from my research that the Speed 400 connectors are rated to 20 Amps, so I am guessing this is the way to go. Correct?

Lastly I have decided to solder the leads on motor side of the ESC directly to the motor. Is there anything I should watch out for when doing this? When I first looked at the back of the motor it was hard to see where I should solder the leads to. But I think I have it now and can definitely see the +ve and -ve signs and I can also see where the capacitors are soldered to the motor. So I am going to solder the ESC leads direct to the same place where the capacitors are soldered, taking into consideration the polarity. Is this right?

Is there anything else I should look out for?

Sorry this has beocme so long, but I want to get this thing in the air by next weekend. Thanks.
maverick is offline Find More Posts by maverick
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2003, 04:29 PM
Red Lake Falls, Minnesota, USA
Joined Jul 2003
152 Posts
make sure the wires to the motor can't touch.

As for break in it's not required it will eventually break in all by itself but for best initial performance you should break it in.

ARe u sure the motor and battery have the same plugs?

I'm sorry for not being much help but i just brought my first airplane a few days ago. Only 135 for a ss pro 2 new t0oo
red91sit2 is offline Find More Posts by red91sit2