HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 24, 2010, 10:14 PM
SUCK LESS
United States, IL, Lombard
Joined May 2009
3,558 Posts
Hey - thanks for the 50% off tip - I got a canopy and some fins for $20!
FR4-Pilot is offline Find More Posts by FR4-Pilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2010, 10:45 PM
United States, MD, Ellicott City
Joined Mar 2008
1,198 Posts
Hey no problem wish they had some main blades
beginner4life is offline Find More Posts by beginner4life
Old Nov 25, 2010, 06:53 AM
Can't-Get-Right
Souf' East UK
Joined Aug 2008
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beginner4life View Post
Hmm i will look thanks for the tip im guessing thats the issue.

Edit: Okay so looking from the back, at 0 throttle the swash plate is to the left and back and at middle the swash in level and then at full it is forward and right. How can i fix this?
It could be any number of things but let's start with the basics. First we'll ignore cyclic control for the moment and concentrate solely on collective. I presume you are flying on a mode 2 transmitter (rudder and throttle on the left stick, aileron and elevator on the right stick)?

Now from what you have described it sounds as though the swash is not moving up and down the shaft straight and level so check the following.

1) Verify that your TX is setup in heli mode with a 120 degree swash plate setting.
2) Verify that your servos are plugged in correctly to the receiver, refer to the below image to help (this is an AR6100e so if you have a different RX this may be different).

Let us know the answers to the above and we can then get on with getting you fixed up and flyin'!
tedwearsahat is offline Find More Posts by tedwearsahat
Old Nov 25, 2010, 08:36 AM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Then View Post
I took out some of the aluminum upgrades and went back to the plastic parts and that - believe it or not - took out quite a bit of the slop. I only had three extra shims so I've got four on one side and three on the other. That seemed to help as well. The o-rings don't really fit in the E-Flite aluminum head very well. I've still got a few plastic heads but I didn't feel like disassembling the flybar cage again. A friend and fellow club member has a couple of Align T-Rex 450 o-rings that he's going to give me to see if that further stiffens things up. I'll put a test-flight on it soon to see if these adjustments have helped.
I put a test hover on the Blade 400 yesterday. It seems to be much more stable in a hover once I made the aforementioned adjustments. I only had to adjust the tracking a bit and now it's dead-on. I will put a forward flight on it the next time I go to the field and if successful, I'm gonna mount it in the EC-135 fuse I have for it. Thanks for the help as always everyone!
Mike_Then is offline Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Thank you, veterans
Old Nov 25, 2010, 09:29 AM
Grayslake, Illinois, United States
Joined Mar 2001
352 Posts
Quote:
Edit: Okay so looking from the back, at 0 throttle the swash plate is to the left and back and at middle the swash in level and then at full it is forward and right. How can i fix this?
Assuming all are plugged into the correct Rx channel, I'd first disconnect two motor conductors so it won't spin up. Now, with heli and Tx powered, play with servo reversing for ail except rudder until you have all three moving in the same direction when throttle is advanced. Once this is done begin checking/adjusting their links per the manual. The PNP manual is a good reference.
lenrev is offline Find More Posts by lenrev
Old Nov 25, 2010, 10:01 AM
Joined Mar 2008
1,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenrev View Post
Assuming all are plugged into the correct Rx channel, I'd first disconnect two motor conductors so it won't spin up. Now, with heli and Tx powered, play with servo reversing for ail except rudder until you have all three moving in the same direction when throttle is advanced. Once this is done begin checking/adjusting their links per the manual. The PNP manual is a good reference.
Thanks for the diagram ted I checked again and yes my servos are all in the correct spots. Lenrev, i think this is the issue. Two of them go the same way, but the third goes in the opposite direction. I played with servo reversing last night and couldnt serem to get them all in the same direction but ill try again. Thanks
Old Nov 25, 2010, 11:17 AM
Can't-Get-Right
Souf' East UK
Joined Aug 2008
81 Posts
NP B4L.

Did you check that your swash was set to 120 degree CCPM?

If it is and you are using a DX6i then you could try the following:

Remove main and tail blades. Unplug at least two motor wires to disable the motor. Power up the model.

Set your swashmix to:

AILE: -75%
ELEV: -75%
PITCH: +85%

Check that all the servos are moving in the same direction when you move the collective up and down (for now the direction doesn't matter). If all three servos are NOT moving together, reverse the single servo that is driving the opposite way.

Re-check that all servos are now moving in the same direction.

Now check which way round they are moving, when you move the collective stick up the swash should move down (all three servos driving it straight and flat). If it does the opposite then simply change the swashmix PITCH from a positive to a negative value.

You will then need to check that aileron and elevator are working in the correct direction and the swash tilts the right way on command. Do not reverse servos to do this now you have the collective setup and working correctly. Instead, change the swashmix for the appropriate function (AILE or ELEV). If you use servo reversing it will put out your collective travel again.

You then need to start going through the head setup to make sure the swash is level and there is no binding etc. Search youtube for Sokal's head setup videos and Jasmine's rebuild videos for more information on that aspect.

Good luck.
tedwearsahat is offline Find More Posts by tedwearsahat
Old Nov 25, 2010, 12:40 PM
USA, NJ, hamilton
Joined Jun 2007
205 Posts
Local give away

The South Jersey Heli Flyers are giveing away a brand new EXI 15 piece tool set with carry case, make a post in the thread (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1344468) and your enterd.

Thank you and good luck.
Kevinl7778 is offline Find More Posts by Kevinl7778
Old Nov 25, 2010, 01:32 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,445 Posts
Quote:
I did. Multiple times and everything seemed to check out. Checked again and theyre in the right position. Is the the throttle supposed to be mixed with cyclic? It appears as throttle increases the cyclic is changed as well
How can you say everything checked out, when you know that the cyclic is changing with throttle input? That was my point. If you want to do proper pre-flight checks, it helps to know what is right and what is not. This is fine while you are learning the setup, but it becomes a safety issue, as you saw, if you try to fly it that way.

Probably yes, one of the servos is plugged in wrong - but it could also be the settings in the radio, or a malfunction of a servo. My advice is to swap the two back servos in the receiver, and then do a proper pre-flight check. However, if I could work on the heli myself, I would probably do a quick complete setup - clear out the radio and start again. You probably have other issues as well, and doing a complete setup would be a quicker way to eliminate those all.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Nov 25, 2010, 01:34 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,445 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the diagram ted I checked again and yes my servos are all in the correct spots. Lenrev, i think this is the issue. Two of them go the same way, but the third goes in the opposite direction. I played with servo reversing last night and couldnt serem to get them all in the same direction but ill try again. Thanks
Don't play with it - know what to change. Which servo is moving the wrong way? That's the one that needs to be reversed, right? You don't have to guess.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 02:14 PM
Joined Mar 2008
1,198 Posts
Okay, thanks to all the help from Ted got it all set up.

I admit that it was my own fault for just wanting to get out and fly and not take the time to set it up. I really did not do enough reading before my first flight and thats on me.

Thank you everyone for all of the help.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 08:23 PM
Joined Mar 2008
1,198 Posts
Well i had two pilots who are experienced take it up today and they said it felt very touchy and it wasnt holding well at all. Like it was drifting all over the place and doing what it wanted. Gyro gain is at 60% with 25% expo on everything
Old Nov 26, 2010, 08:40 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,445 Posts
Did you ask them what they thought was the problem? Did you try more gyro gain?
Old Nov 26, 2010, 08:50 PM
Joined Mar 2008
1,198 Posts
They said it has to be something with the gyro but that they werent great with gyros. We did not try more gain
Old Nov 26, 2010, 11:37 PM
Dyslexic crash pro!
Westminster, CO
Joined Jun 2008
1,556 Posts
Did you look in the Blade 400 bible? There are some good videos on how to set up gyros and tails in there. Trying to fly when your tail is all over the place due to a bad setup makes you chase the heli all over instead of just flying it.
loopy1 is offline Find More Posts by loopy1