SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 12, 2010, 12:11 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turko View Post
hi jasmine, how would you fix it. I have tried many times and it doesnt work.
Well a broken motor wire can be tricky - they are twisted groups of wires, maybe 3, 6 or 9 wires twisted together. What's important is to connect all of those to the connector - they don't have to be stuck together really. Then you use some shrink tube to insulate it. It all depends on where the break is - if it's down by the motor itself, then you'll have to take the motor apart and remove the stator part, to gain access to that - but you should be able to solder on a new wire. If you can post a photo, I could say exactly what to do, but it's hard to say without seeing the damage.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2010, 12:32 PM
Canada, BC, New Westminster
Joined Oct 2009
227 Posts
yes, the break in the wire is by the motor itself.I was trying to fix it without disassembling the motor, which is not working.My soldering iron is on the fritz, so I cannot solder on a new wire.The motor is only 3 months old so there should be lots of life in it still if I could figure out how to reattach the wire.I don't have a camera to send you a picture, unfortunately.
turko is offline Find More Posts by turko
Old Nov 12, 2010, 12:46 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
You could call Horizon - the MOTOR has a warranty on it - the Blade 400 itself does not. They might be able to replace the motor for you - send you a new one. Be nice when you call them - they are known for good service, but they don't take kindly to rude customers.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Nov 12, 2010, 12:57 PM
Canada, BC, New Westminster
Joined Oct 2009
227 Posts
The motor is not the stock motor, it is a replacement motor.But thanks for the heads up.
turko is offline Find More Posts by turko
Old Nov 12, 2010, 01:55 PM
SUCK LESS
United States, IL, Lombard
Joined May 2009
3,611 Posts
You don't even have to be rude to get a slacker at HH customer support who refuses to help you - just unlucky. If you get one, hang up and call back - odds are you'll get a better person on the next call.

-John
FR4-Pilot is online now Find More Posts by FR4-Pilot
Last edited by FR4-Pilot; Nov 12, 2010 at 04:21 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 05:41 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR4-Pilot View Post
You don't even have to be rude to get a slacker at HH customer support who refuses to help you - just unlucky. If you get one, hang up and call back - odds are you'll get a better person on the next call.

-John
Yes! What he said! HH employees own part of the company, this can be good and bad, good when the Tech wants to keep customers happy, bad when a Tech thinks it is costing him money.
VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 12, 2010, 11:02 PM
SUCK LESS
United States, IL, Lombard
Joined May 2009
3,611 Posts
Time to invert ...

Blade 400 - Early Inverts (5 min 32 sec)

Here are 3 packs worth of inverted shots. I'm trying to get used to what it feels like upside down and wring out the shaky hands. Then I can work on clean inverted hovering and later controlled inverted forward flight. I had two close calls - one with the tree tops (easy to spot) and one with the ground when I forgot to use negative pitch in my first real loop.

What - A - Rush !

-John

Helicopter: Stock Blade 400 with: SportBEC, Align325 Pro Blades, Boca Bearings in stock 420 motor, 10T pinion, Futaba 401 Gyro, DX6i.
FR4-Pilot is online now Find More Posts by FR4-Pilot
Last edited by FR4-Pilot; Nov 13, 2010 at 01:36 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 04:28 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turko View Post
The motor is not the stock motor--------
Many motors extend the windings out to the bullet connector. If so they are enameled. The enamel needs removed to get a good solder. Some have a joint close in where they soldered on regular wire, often needs the motor taken appart to get to this joint.
Roto Rob is online now Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old Nov 13, 2010, 11:42 AM
Dyslexic crash pro!
Westminster, CO
Joined Jun 2008
1,557 Posts
Lower! Lower!!!
loopy1 is offline Find More Posts by loopy1
Old Nov 13, 2010, 12:49 PM
United States, MD, Frederick
Joined Aug 2010
394 Posts
OK heres a question....

I have been experiencing some issues that I think have been caused in part by some ESC performance issues.

I want to replace the ESC before it smokes, also goint o be changing the cyclic servos soon, and I am running a GY401, so I would be needing a BEC anyway.

Can anyone make a reccomendation on a decent moderately priced ESC that's very reliable and can give me worry free performance?

I dont do aerobatics, just sport flying. Some filps and rolls here and there.
kauaicuda is offline Find More Posts by kauaicuda
Old Nov 13, 2010, 04:11 PM
Can't-Get-Right
Souf' East UK
Joined Aug 2008
81 Posts
I flew two packs on the B400 today. I was thinking of retiring it and moving most of the setup onto the soon to be available mini protos but I had so much fun today on just two packs I just can't do it!

I didn't want to duplicate in size class but hey I think the mini P is worth it and I KNOW my B400 is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR4-Pilot View Post
What - A - Rush !
Nice one John.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauaicuda View Post
Can anyone make a reccomendation on a decent moderately priced ESC that's very reliable and can give me worry free performance?
I use the Hobbywing Pentium 40amp.

It works for what I need it for.

Good points:

- Stays cool
- BEC seems up to the job - analogue (HS65mg)on the cylic, fast digital (DS8910) on the tail
- Fits inside the stock plastic frame easily
- Cheap
- Works

Bad points:

- Soft start? What's that then?
- Inconsistant RPM when the motor is running really slowly (below take off speed), though this could be motor/ESC combo or my settings.

All in all I'm happy for the price, I don't need a governor on the B400. She is my circuit trainer more than a 3D trainer, if and when I need it! For learning and smoothing out my orientations (upright and inverted), my figure eights (upright, forwards and backwards and inverted, forwards and backwards) and some minor mucking around (flips, loops, rolls, sloppy aile and elev tic tocs) it does the job.
tedwearsahat is offline Find More Posts by tedwearsahat
Old Nov 13, 2010, 06:03 PM
Lloyd Robinson
USA, MO, St Louis
Joined Jun 2007
783 Posts
Hey Ted. I agree, the B400 is a ton of fun. I just ordered an Exi 450 Pro to see what all the hype is about, but I think I will still keep the 400 since the parts are so cheap and the frame is practically indestructible. I don't know of a better beater.

As for the ESC. I also have Pentium 40 amp. While the soft start isn't so soft (2 second ramp), it has been a very solid ESC, and I don't have any issues with low speeds. So maybe it's just your motor. Mine works fine with the B400 stock motor, the Scorpion 2221-8, the Turnigy 2215H, and the Suppo 2217-04.

I've heard that the Hobbywing Platinum ESCs have good soft starts. Apparently the Turnigy K-Force series is a rebranded version: http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idproduct=8922

That's the cheapest I've seen it. Of course it's out of stock. This is the best price I know of where it's in stock: http://cgi.ebay.com/Hobbywing-Platin...#ht_2374wt_870
fishboy77 is online now Find More Posts by fishboy77
Old Nov 13, 2010, 06:16 PM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,481 Posts
I am using the Eflite 40-Amp Pro Switch-Mode BEC Brushless ESC on my 400. What I really like about it is the switch that allows me to power up the ESC and then to turn on the electronics with the included separate switch. If the switch fails, the ESC defaults to normally closed, which keeps the BEC hot. It is a very cool running ESC with either the 440 motor or the stock 420. I am thinking about putting either an Align 450 M motor or the Scorpion equivalent motor for the 450 Pro TRex. Low prices do not motivate my purchases, rather, features and product support does. Take care.

Don
Keyrigger is offline Find More Posts by Keyrigger
Old Nov 14, 2010, 01:00 AM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Aug 2010
8 Posts
WOOOOHOOOOO NEW THREAD! NEW THREAD!!! NEW TREAD!!!! who broke the old one?
Mrheliwrecker is offline Find More Posts by Mrheliwrecker
Old Nov 14, 2010, 05:56 PM
Can't-Get-Right
Souf' East UK
Joined Aug 2008
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrheliwrecker View Post
who broke the old one?
Blade strike set it loose, many flew it, some hard, some more gently, BladeCX2Runner even put pretty lights on it. Slyster wrote a good book about it, Roto Rob answered questions a'plenty and Loopy crashed it.

Jasmine did a re-build video so Fishboy put it back together and used subtrim to get it on topic. Fast didn't want it to burn out like he had experienced in the past so he removed the subtrim and manually centred the arms. osterizer added a different perspective, so grnbrg swapped in some $3 servos and Steve Klyce endurance tested it...

...but then SOMEONE forgot to turn on Idle Up and she went inverted into the ground.

Luckily, FR4 got it on three seperate cameras and recorded it, edited and posted a 24 esque blow by blow account. Everyone watched and ate popcorn. I fell asleep.

Now we're all here.

It's been.......... EMOTIONAL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishboy77 View Post
Hey Ted. I agree, the B400 is a ton of fun. I just ordered an Exi 450 Pro to see what all the hype is about, but I think I will still keep the 400 since the parts are so cheap and the frame is practically indestructible. I don't know of a better beater.
tedwearsahat is offline Find More Posts by tedwearsahat
Last edited by tedwearsahat; Nov 14, 2010 at 06:04 PM. Reason: format