HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 10, 2010, 09:52 AM
Bournemouth - UK
Joined Feb 2009
204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishboy77 View Post
Nice job FR4-Pilot. I would like to know how many other guys had all of their stock servos last 100 flights. Mine lasted about 10, and that was just hovering around and some slow forward flight.
150 and still going on stock motor plus esc. Servos and gyro started going about 10 flights in
hedgeheli is offline Find More Posts by hedgeheli
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2010, 10:09 AM
With great pwer comes great 3D
Globe, USA, Clemson, SC
Joined Jun 2010
1,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedwearsahat View Post
Thanks VP but I am very much just an enthusiastic noob! I don't get a great deal of time to fly and in my nearly 3 years of heli ownership I have only managed to clock 302 flights on my B400 and 71 on my MSH Protos.

I think I am a relatively slow learner even relative to my limited chances to fly though the big gaps between flying sessions don't help....it took me a whole year and 70 + flights to get a stable tail in hover.

Don't be overly concerned with how long, you will get it when you get it. It's not a race and the major concern should be "am I having fun?" as this hobby will always have you on a learning curve.

At least the field is straight see!

You want to see a crash? Check the splat on this (not a B400 so please ignore the OT content if it concerns you and also please excuse the mild curse just after impact).....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtsoXotWJBE

I'd say you planed that one pretty good
killsdeer4fun is offline Find More Posts by killsdeer4fun
Old Nov 10, 2010, 11:25 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,419 Posts
Dave, if you want to see a Blade 400 crash... I'm always happy to post it

Loopy1 Blade 400 - with Crash! (4 min 24 sec)
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Nov 10, 2010, 11:54 AM
Can't-Get-Right
Souf' East UK
Joined Aug 2008
81 Posts
I still love that! Chi....chi....chi....chicken dance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHXXZwfGrP4
tedwearsahat is offline Find More Posts by tedwearsahat
Old Nov 10, 2010, 02:14 PM
Canada, BC, New Westminster
Joined Oct 2009
227 Posts
Jasmine251, your right on the money, after closer inspection one of my bullet connectors is frayed at the motor. I tried to reconnect it but its not working, looks like its time for a new motor. Thanks again.
turko is offline Find More Posts by turko
Old Nov 10, 2010, 02:17 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,419 Posts
Yeah but you don't buy a new motor to fix a bad solder joint... just re-solder it.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 03:16 PM
Can't-Get-Right
Souf' East UK
Joined Aug 2008
81 Posts
And if you're not a confident solderer check out Lucien from innov8tivedesigns guide, using a chock of wood is so much easier than vice grips:

How to Solder Bullet Connectors By Innov8tive Designs (13 min 30 sec)
Old Nov 10, 2010, 09:12 PM
Dyslexic crash pro!
Westminster, CO
Joined Jun 2008
1,554 Posts
Ted, I could see it a mile away. You were standing in the mud while flying, which shorted out your fingers and caused that crash. But I was glad to see you got your field straightened out. Now maybe those bales will stay put....

Jas, Thanks! (I think....) Hadn't looked at that one in a while.

/Dave
loopy1 is offline Find More Posts by loopy1
Old Nov 10, 2010, 09:59 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,419 Posts
No problem dude, any time

It's cool to see how far we've come since then.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 08:56 AM
Joined Oct 2009
227 Posts
motor frayed

I cannot resoder it because the wire is frayed 1/2 way up the wire, not at the connector. I have tried to reconnect it but it does not work.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 10:19 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,419 Posts
I could fix that... it's not worth getting a new motor over. Unless you want to upgrade, which will need you a new ESC and everything anyway.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 01:41 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Hi
I have been practicing on my Phoenix. I have the training gear on and the Blade 400 size increased to 200%. It is fairly easy to hover now but my throttle seems funny. If I advance throttle from off slowly, the rotors start to spin abruptly and soon after it starts to rise. It seems there is no in between. If I am hovering up high and I want to come down and I reduce the throttle it will abruptly stop the rotors motor and It will fall fast. How do I tweak the setting so there is a more smooth transition between off and hover.
Thanks
VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 11, 2010, 07:45 PM
Can't-Get-Right
Souf' East UK
Joined Aug 2008
81 Posts
Hi Pete, I struggle with tweaking a model in the sim, it is trial and error, for me at least!

I'd go back to the stock B400 model and use the mouse scroll wheel to zoom rather than adjust the model size (which will mean adjusting other parameters). Or you could use a bigger model, I tend to fly the Knight 50 3D.

It is also worth unticking the preset curve options so that the Phoenix model uses the throttle and pitch curves in your radio. I don't have Phoenix in front of me so I am not sure what menu option these are in or if there is one for throttle and pitch. Then just adjust your TX curves to mirror your actual flight curves.

[EDIT - With regards to descent, I would start practising in Idle Up (flat throttle curve, linear 0 - 25 - 50 - 75 - 100 pitch curve), descending using pitch and retaining headspeed makes everything smoother. If you do this, start to try and use Throttle Hold when you crash even in the sim to try and drum it into your mind/muscle memory.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopy1 View Post
Ted, I could see it a mile away. You were standing in the mud while flying, which shorted out your fingers and caused that crash. But I was glad to see you got your field straightened out. Now maybe those bales will stay put....
I knew it must of been something, definitely a mud related short, that or a Spektrum lock out. Pilot error? What's that?!
Last edited by tedwearsahat; Nov 11, 2010 at 07:57 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 03:48 AM
Bournemouth - UK
Joined Feb 2009
204 Posts
You need to be an intermediate to advanced pilot to...

When I first bought my Blade 400 it was off the advice I got from various online forums stating that this was the bird to learn on. On getting it straight away staring you in the face on the box is the statement

For intermediate to advanced pilots.

Hmmnnn well having owned the Blade for a good few months and able to fly around and do the odd loop and roll I thought I would start a thread about why the Blade 400 is for intermediate to advanced pilots....

...Because when the ESC browns out mid flight you need to be an intermediate to advanced pilot to successfully Auto it down...

...Because when the tail servo fails midway through your maiden hover you need to be an intermediate to advanced pilot to land it

Not to knock it too much as I love my B400 and cant wait to fly it all weekend, but it has got its issues
hedgeheli is offline Find More Posts by hedgeheli
Old Nov 12, 2010, 10:59 AM
Joined Oct 2009
227 Posts
hi jasmine, how would you fix it. I have tried many times and it doesnt work.To be more accurate, the wire is frayed where the wire comes out of the motor.
Last edited by turko; Nov 12, 2010 at 11:21 AM. Reason: additional info