SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 24, 2011, 07:37 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Pete View Post
This is hard to follow, thanks for helping, I will understand it at some point.
VP
You need to play around with it. You'll see what is happening. Figure out a safe way to play with the active gyro and you should be able to see how it all works.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2011, 07:41 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
You need to play around with it. You'll see what is happening. Figure out a safe way to play with the active gyro and you should be able to see how it all works.
Thanks, I love experimenting!
VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 24, 2011, 07:43 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,386 Posts
Only way to go my friend, only way to go
Old Jan 24, 2011, 11:19 PM
They call me Crash!
Ohio
Joined Jun 2006
1,692 Posts
Quote:
If you install the training balls so that they point downward a bit, then that's the right way. When you do your hops, you give enough lift to completely relieve the tension in the training gear, so the balls are just lightly touching the ground. You can slide around like this, and that's what the RADD instructions want you to do.

Personally, I don't think students need to do this. They just need a properly adjusted helicopter and to fly in normal mode and to be hovering, with training balls, just barely above the ground. If you do this over a large smooth surface, you will be safe from crashes, as you can just chop the throttle and bounce in on the training balls. Now, I'm not sure about the weight of the CP Pro 2, but I believe a good set of training balls for a 400 size helicopter should be made of 3mm CF, and the E-flite ones aren't really good enough.

You can make a good set of training balls from a 3mm hollow CF rod cut exactly in half, some epoxy and wire to lash them together, 4 practice golf balls (wiffle type), and 8 "craft beads" - just epoxy the craft beads to the rods to hold the balls on. Leave some space so the beads don't grip the balls tightly, and try to make the whole thing balanced and even. Should look like what's in the picture - these work great for everything from 200 size to 500 size. In the last photo you can see the Blade 400 on the E-flite training balls - they are not strong enough.

Something is not right with your training balls for the B400....I bought some from eflight that sit up way higher than yours.

I too am a noob flying a real chopper. I have mastered the CX1, CX2, MSR,MCX, and 120 SR.

After my fourth flight I was getting the hang of hovering...I see now why Helis are so addicting for you pros.

I found flying helis is really is challenging and I really need to concentrate.
I was having problems with throttle management...finally figured it out on my forth.

My question...when is it time to take off the training wheels?
I dread the day when this happens...going to be very nerve racking.
Kaw1000 is offline Find More Posts by Kaw1000
Old Jan 25, 2011, 08:23 AM
Bournemouth - UK
Joined Feb 2009
204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaw1000 View Post
My question...when is it time to take off the training wheels?
I dread the day when this happens...going to be very nerve racking.
I would say when you can hold a stable 3-4ft tail in hover for over 2 mins you are ready.

Be prepared to say OMG can't believe how good this feels - loosing your balls will never feel that good again

Good luck my friend
hedgeheli is offline Find More Posts by hedgeheli
Old Jan 25, 2011, 10:03 AM
They call me Crash!
Ohio
Joined Jun 2006
1,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgeheli View Post
I would say when you can hold a stable 3-4ft tail in hover for over 2 mins you are ready.

Be prepared to say OMG can't believe how good this feels - loosing your balls will never feel that good again

Good luck my friend

lololol thanks!
Old Jan 25, 2011, 11:21 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,386 Posts
Loosing?! Is that what the baseball players are doing with their junk? Loosing it? Because it's too tight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaw1000
Something is not right with your training balls for the B400....I bought some from eflight that sit up way higher than yours.
The ones I made are fine - actually better because the heli sits lower to the ground. The E-flite ones are apparently the wrong set - I got those for a CX2 and they probably work fine with that size.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 11:56 AM
They call me Crash!
Ohio
Joined Jun 2006
1,692 Posts
Quote:
Loosing?! Is that what the baseball players are doing with their junk? Loosing it? Because it's too tight?

The ones I made are fine - actually better because the heli sits lower to the ground. The E-flite ones are apparently the wrong set - I got those for a CX2 and they probably work fine with that size.
Being new, I need that shock absorber effect with the higher ones!
Old Jan 25, 2011, 11:59 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,386 Posts
Quote:
Being new, I need that shock absorber effect with the higher ones!
Oh you get plenty of that with the lower ones, but since the material is stronger, you get more dampening and less bounce. Bouncy training balls can cause issues like if you bounce one side, it can really throw the heli off balance, possibly into an unrecoverable attitude.

Somewhere on YT is a video of a guy using some really high and springy training balls with what I think is a 50-size nitro heli. You can actually see that the bouncing on the training balls is what causes the crash.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 02:55 PM
They call me Crash!
Ohio
Joined Jun 2006
1,692 Posts
So far I have not had that problem....another question...I just got in from hovering.

I have to constantly give it right on the right stick. If I let the right stick
go to the middle the 400 veers to the left. Is this something that a pitch gauge would fix.

Last night I balanced and fixed the tracking so I know all is good there.

Thanks
Old Jan 25, 2011, 03:44 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
So far I have not had that problem....another question...I just got in from hovering.

I have to constantly give it right on the right stick. If I let the right stick
go to the middle the 400 veers to the left. Is this something that a pitch gauge would fix.

Last night I balanced and fixed the tracking so I know all is good there.

Thanks
I recently learned that is due to the thrust of the tail rotor.
VP
Old Jan 25, 2011, 03:49 PM
They call me Crash!
Ohio
Joined Jun 2006
1,692 Posts
How do you fix that?
Old Jan 25, 2011, 03:52 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
How do you fix that?
Jasmine explained it to me a few posts back. Go back to post #233
VP
Old Jan 25, 2011, 05:00 PM
They call me Crash!
Ohio
Joined Jun 2006
1,692 Posts
LOL thanks ...I also used the trim on the radio on last flight...it seemed to work but threw the forward backward off a little.

Opps I did the trim thing and he said not to...back to the drawing board.
Last edited by Kaw1000; Jan 25, 2011 at 05:17 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 06:32 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,386 Posts
Depends on if your heli is rolling to the left, or sliding to the left. To correct the roll, you use mechanical adjustment to level the swash plate. To correct the left slide, you simply lean the helicopter a bit to the right - depending on the helicopter power/weight, blades, wind, and other factors, you may need more or less right lean and you may need a bit of forward as well. If the helicopter is properly trimmed, it will not roll away from this position - it will stay leaned to the right. Gravity will pull it back slowly, but it should not roll back to the left.